Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try this Seat belt modification?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Anyone try this Seat belt modification?

It's called the CG-Lock, quite inexpensive and looks good on paper for the occasional DE/AX guy...

http://www.cg-lock.com/

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:41 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Gary, you can do basically that same thing for free with your own seat belt. Here's how:

Slide your seat back a few positions (this process is easier with electric seats). Pull the seatbelt over you and in position to put into the seatbelt attachment but before you click it it, pull it so that it locks. Then twist the belt around a few times to tighten it up and then click it in. Then move your seat forward to the correct position. You should now be locked in pretty tight without any seatbelt movement.

I much prefer a 4 point harness though. a Schroth for example. Pretty easy to install, looks great, tucks out of the way for street driving and works awesome. Just a tad pricy though. But $200 doesn't seem to bad when this little piece is $42.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Gary, you can do basically that same thing for free with your own seat belt. Here's how:

Slide your seat back a few positions (this process is easier with electric seats). Pull the seatbelt over you and in position to put into the seatbelt attachment but before you click it it, pull it so that it locks. Then twist the belt around a few times to tighten it up and then click it in. Then move your seat forward to the correct position. You should now be locked in pretty tight without any seatbelt movement.

I much prefer a 4 point harness though. a Schroth for example. Pretty easy to install, looks great, tucks out of the way for street driving and works awesome. Just a tad pricy though. But $200 doesn't seem to bad when this little piece is $42.
Thanks Stacey. That "seatbelt twist" trick seems to be a pretty common practice. I have the semi-manual sport seats (slide is manual) so I thought for under $50 WTH.. I like the idea of it better than twisting belts up and trying to get my seat right. I'll do a seach the "Schroth" harness, if it can be bolted in I may just go that route for $200...
Old 02-10-2005, 12:00 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

I have installed them in about an hour. the lap portions bolt onto the existing seat belt equipment and the shoulder straps can be bolted into the rear seat seat belts.

http://www.soloracer.com/rallye4.html

$154.99 from that link. They are great.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:11 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Another way is to get your seating position... snug up the belt at your waist by pulling up on the diagonal...lthen either slide the seat back a bit or tilt the backrest back a bit. Grab the seat belt at the "B" pillar and give it a quick tug to "lock it" then leaning into it to keep it locked, return the seat/back to your optimal seating position.
No twisting required and keeps your shoulders securely planted in your seat.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I have installed them in about an hour. the lap portions bolt onto the existing seat belt equipment and the shoulder straps can be bolted into the rear seat seat belts.

http://www.soloracer.com/rallye4.html

$154.99 from that link. They are great.
They look great Stacey but the 997S seats are not approved from what I see there. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:36 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Ummm...honestly i have no idea. I've never installed them in a 911.
maybe try www.schroth.com and see if you can find anything for the 997S. Or maybe someone else has installed a 3/4 point harness in the 997?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Ummm...honestly i have no idea. I've never installed them in a 911.
maybe try www.schroth.com and see if you can find anything for the 997S. Or maybe someone else has installed a 3/4 point harness in the 997?
I wrote to the people at Soloracer.com and just got this reply:

"If your car has an integrated headrest, then you won't
be able to use harnesses since there is no where for
the shoulder belts to pass through. See this chart
for more info:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/soloracerdotcom_1691_141207 "

I also put it to Schroth USA about what would work and I just got this reply:

"Sorry but there is NO racing or aftermarket harnessbelt (from Schroth or anyone else) that you can use safely with a stock seat. The width of the seat at the shoulder point positions the belts too far off the shoulder that would allow you to come out of the shoulder entirely in the event of a side impact or rollover. They only option to install a harness of any kind is to change to a race seat or a seat like the Recaro Speed that has proper shoulder holes and even an optional sub strap hole yet still reclines.

Please feel free to contact me or any of my staff with any questions or to investigate seat alternatives.

Thanks,
Joe Marko

HMS motorsport
Exclusive NA importers for
SCHROTH HARNESSBELTS
RIMO KARTS
3 First Avenue
Peabody, MA 01960
www.hmsmotorsport.com
Toll Free: 888-467-3269
Direct: 978-532-1170
FAX: 978-532-2016 "

So that's the end of that! Back to CG-Lock!

Last edited by Gary R.; 02-10-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:58 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Wow -
Sorry for leading you in the wrong direction. Let me know how those CG-Lock's work. I'm really curious.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Wow -
Sorry for leading you in the wrong direction. Let me know how those CG-Lock's work. I'm really curious.
Actually it was the CORRECT direction! I very much appreciate the input, I want the best that is available for my safety and my car. I don't know at this point how much Track (DE) / AX time I will put in but if it becomes excessive I know I will eventually need to get a different driver's seat (wonder if a stock GT3 seat will bolt in?) with pass-throughs and then the Rally 4 asm harness.

It's ALL good info!!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:42 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

I have to tell you...after spending a good amount of time in a racing seat over the past year that they are awesome. My Sparco Pro 2000 seat is one of the most comfortable seats i've ever sat in. I can sit in that thing for hours and never get uncomfortable. Very supportive.
I'm not sure if a GT3 seat would fit or not..but if it did that woud be awesome....
Old 03-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Ok, i've had it in the car now for a couple weeks and it works flawlessly. If you want to lock your hips down into the seat good and tight this is the easiest way to do it. Mechanism is well built and doesn't effect the retractor at all in my car. I think it will be a great aid next week at my first DE..
Old 03-08-2005, 07:39 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used GC lock twice on the track in fact used it this weekend @ VIR it works ok yes you do stay planted at the hips but upper body moves quite a bit. not the optimun situation. but it is a starting point. maybe the GC lock with the trick about adjusting ti seat back would be ok to. i will probaly go to the sparco seat. but i do love the feel of the porsche seats. Another good tool is thethin rubber carpet slip matte .. cut a peice to fit the seat and back rest. that deffinately helps with sliding around you can get at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 930man
I used GC lock twice on the track in fact used it this weekend @ VIR it works ok yes you do stay planted at the hips but upper body moves quite a bit. not the optimun situation. but it is a starting point. maybe the GC lock with the trick about adjusting ti seat back would be ok to. i will probaly go to the sparco seat. but i do love the feel of the porsche seats. Another good tool is thethin rubber carpet slip matte .. cut a peice to fit the seat and back rest. that deffinately helps with sliding around you can get at Lowes or Home Depot.
Thanks 930man, i'll stick with just the CGLock for now but would like to see a picture of the "slip matte mod".. Optimum solution for me would be a set of GT3 seats with a good 4-point harness but that is a ways off..
Old 03-10-2005, 12:37 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will do i dont know how to do the pics on here in fact i cant even figure out how to put pic of car on my signature. i signed up for membership two months ago and it doesnt show me as a Member ???
i will try to figure out i guess I am still a "newbie"

Quick Reply: Anyone try this Seat belt modification?