Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the favored polish/wax?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the tips and such Meguiars has a few various metal cleaners depending on application. Check their website. They work well. Personally though, its been good enough to just wipe it clean while washing with a wet cloth. My stock S2 tip was 13 years old when i took that system off the car and the chrome tip looked brand new. My GTI tip is rolled/polished etc... and it still looks new as well. Just make sure you wipe with a wet cloth and not something dry.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Weissy
I ordered my 997S with the stock exhaust tips. What do you guys use to keep your tips looking new? I had the chrome on my boxsterS and a few years later they trully look awfull. This time around I would like to be able to keep my tips looking fresh.
I polish minne with P21S polish. Don't be afraid to rub hard--I apply and polish off twice:
http://www.carcareonline.com/detail....oduct_id=10417

Then apply a coat of RejeX--it does a great job of keeping the tips from yellowing, and the black buildup washes off easily. It stands up to the heat very well:
http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

I do this 2 - 3 times a year, and the tips look great.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by csertich
Gary-thanks.

I've been using traditional carnuba waxes for a long time but you guys are right-it doesn't last long. I've been researching Zaino, Rejex and others. May have to switch.
You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

thanks
chuck
Thats why lists like these are invaluable, a LOT of experience to learn from. I just read that Porsche red and black (non-metalic) paint isn't clearcoated, can that be correct? There are different products for non-clearcoated paint. I somehow doubt that this is true but figured I would toss it out. I will ask my dealer about it tomorrow (if someone doesn't give an answer here 1st).

GR
Old 12-12-2004, 11:21 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 920 Likes on 515 Posts

not clearcoated? you mean non-metallic I think.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Weissy
Instructor

Thanks for the tip Poursha! Going to orderd both products tonight.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:33 AM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I just read that Porsche red and black (non-metalic) paint isn't clearcoated, can that be correct? There are different products for non-clearcoated paint. I somehow doubt that this is true but figured I would toss it out. I will ask my dealer about it tomorrow (if someone doesn't give an answer here 1st).

GR
I had a guards red '89 944 and it was not clear coated. I have to believe all current Porsches are, though.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:58 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

No, i believe all CURRENT Porsche paints are clear coated, whether metallic or not. I think they started that with the 993 and the Boxster.

All older models that are Guards Red, and i believe basic White, are not clear coated. Im pretty sure black was clearcoated, but i may be wrong.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:25 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Black is not clearcoated, and I don't think Guards Red, Speed Yellow and Carrara white are either.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:07 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Black is not clearcoated, and I don't think Guards Red, Speed Yellow and Carrara white are either.
It sure looks it to me. How could it not be
Old 12-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nyca
not clearcoated? you mean non-metallic I think.
No, this person was adamant that all of the non-metallic colors; i.e. black, red, and yellow - are not clearcoated, just a one step paint.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Ice Rado
Intermediate

i've never tried zaino yet but i ordered a kit and heard nothing but good reviews about it...up until that point i used zimol...seems cheap and it was a job to get it all off sometimes...

but it made the car feel amazing...best suggestion is don't let the wax build up...i find some people not really washin the wax off enough and in that case its more removal then application
Old 12-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ice Rado
i've never tried zaino yet but i ordered a kit and heard nothing but good reviews about it...up until that point i used zimol...seems cheap and it was a job to get it all off sometimes...

but it made the car feel amazing...best suggestion is don't let the wax build up...i find some people not really washin the wax off enough and in that case its more removal then application
Can't go wrong with Zaino, my only query is about using the #2 (for Clearcoat) at this point as I have it "in stock"..
Old 12-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Ok, the flat colors, non metallics. Maybe. Do you mean THEN, or NOW?

I am almost positive all the paints are clearcoated now. I can't imagine Porsche not clearing their paint anymore. Last Guards car i saw seemed clearcoated to me?
Old 12-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

I have tried every product mentioned above...and my current black '05 C2S has been a wax work in progress. This paint is not very forgiving and swirls easily with the wrong product or technique. Other colors should be easier to work with. I started with the Meguiars products (NXT, #26 and Gold Class). They took a fair amount of effort to apply and remove and looked good for a while but as they wore off, swirls were apparent (probably my technique more than the product). Klasse all in one left a little milky haze and by the time I removed the haze, I wondered how much Klasse was left. I started fresh with a Porter Cable in hand and the windows and trim masked off like it was being painted (didn't take as long as it sounds), then achieved the best result with 3Mswirl mark remover, P21S paintwork cleanser followed by P21S polish. The depth and shine is amazing and it's absolutely swirl free in the brightest light. The downside is I'm anticipating it to last about a month...Now that I know what I'm doing, I'll apply the P21S polish once a month and be happy and swirl free. It really is easy and fast to apply and you don't have to worry about getting it on the trim. If it was a silver or light colored car, I would probably use Zaino, Klasse, etc and not worry about it as much. But that black sure does look nice!
Old 12-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Ice Rado
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Ok, the flat colors, non metallics. Maybe. Do you mean THEN, or NOW?

I am almost positive all the paints are clearcoated now. I can't imagine Porsche not clearing their paint anymore. Last Guards car i saw seemed clearcoated to me?
yah i think that was years back...most yellows weren't clearcoated up til around 2000...most reds/blacks i think had clears in the 90s...its mainly the company cuz i know vw used 2 reds in the early 90s one had clear one didn't...same w/ whites...i think that is a thing of the past now...u can tell really easily and that is...wax it...if the color of the car gets on the rag u don't have clear

Quick Reply: What is the favored polish/wax?