Sponsored by:

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 12:06 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts
Default Clear bra

My atlas 997 should be on the water soon if it's not afloat already. Anyway, I've never had any type of clear bra applied to a car and was wondering whether it was worthwhile, or if there are any drawbacks to having it applied. We live in central PA with plenty of salt and cinders on the road, and the car will be driven in the winter. I'm buying my car from Alfie at Ira Porsche (highly recommended), and he thinks it would be a good idea. Any comments would be appreciated.

Tom
Old 12-09-2004, 12:40 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, go for it. Best time to do it is when it's new. The hood will have a line that'll be visible close up. That's the only draw back. It should last you 5+ yrs at least.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Sobe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the right installer makes all the difference !
Old 12-09-2004, 11:42 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Why save the looks of the car for the next owner. I like a bra only for track use and then have on hand touch up paint. The film will change over the years and it will show up more. Opinions vary.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:32 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
Why save the looks of the car for the next owner. I like a bra only for track use and then have on hand touch up paint. The film will change over the years and it will show up more. Opinions vary.
Right. Has anyone seen a really good job done? The only car I saw had little creases and looked bad imo.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:27 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

I highly recommend the clear film. Mine is barely noticeable (usually only when I point it out, or if someone is looking specifically for it).

Though it's true that you can alway re-paint later, I like the piece of mind it gives me in the mean time. There are times on the highway when you have no choice but to follow closely the car in front of you. This freaks me out way less knowing I have the "protection" up front.

Mine has been in place since I got my car, about a year and a half. I've found that anyone that has had it before would do it again, I know I would.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:36 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
I would not confuse clear Scotchcal with a bra.
I have Scotchcal on a couple cars.......only time I put the Speedlingerie on is long haul trips......definately not on the track.
Want to see pics of some great installs.........check the current thread on 993 board.
BTW.........I believe most of the 3 or 4 providers of cut kits alow you to select parts you want (personally I do not put the hood piece on).
On not saving the car for the next owner.......I'm definately a believer in that.....mine are daily drivers and but I just don't have time to be touching up dings.
Good luck.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:22 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

if any of you guys wanted to see some after install photos on 993's, look here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=clear+bra
Old 12-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

#1 installer in the country is Alan Seligman at 407-927-1900 - He's done lots of Porsches, exotics and flies worldwide because of his work quality. He has a website I think it is www.invincaman.com but you might ask him if you talk to him on the phone. He's done a couple of my cars and the work has been top notch.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Sobe
Pro

#1 installer in the country is Alan Seligman at 407-927-1900 - He's done lots of Porsches, exotics and flies worldwide because of his work quality. He has a website I think it is www.invincaman.com but you might ask him if you talk to him on the phone. He's done a couple of my cars and the work has been top notch.
Buddy Seligman had a company called Invinca-Shield and was one if not the first person to make templets with scotch-cal from 3m .. his motto was the bug stops here . He sold me my first kit back in 98 and his daughter put it on . He sold the company a few years ago . He would fly out and do your car .. or better yet .. you get a few people who wanted it and have him do several cars to help cover the cost of bringing him out ,, he is really the grandfather of designing and installing these kits and making custom pieces right on the job is no trouble for him . His nephew Allen took over the company so if you can get one of them you would have probably have a perfect installation , and this stuff is tricky to say the least so the installation can make it or break it . here is another # 407-331-5640
Old 12-10-2004, 12:01 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. My wife's not sure she'll like it, and the 997 will be her daily driver. We'll make our decision before the car arrives (hopefully around the end of the month).

Tom
Old 12-10-2004, 12:17 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 915 Likes on 510 Posts

www.xpel.com
Old 12-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Sobe
Pro

My wife's not sure she'll like it
If it is put on right she will not be able to see it ,, but she will be able to see scratches and chips in the paint from daily driving . I am surprised more dealers do not put this on and promote it . Then again if they did customers cars would not have that used car look as quick and it is when your car starts to look bad , thats when we go back to them for a new one .
Old 12-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Charles Thronso
Intermediate

I agree that these are almost invisible and do a great job protecting the paint from stone chips. However, my local Porsche dealer just quoted me $799.00 for the job. I'm going to check around, but this seems high to me.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

....i did the invinca-shield myself.....never did one before.......piece of cake..........follow the instructions

Quick Reply: Clear bra