Sponsored by:

123 miles on a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 05:15 PM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad bought his '02 996 with 143 miles. They took $10k off sticker price and switched out the wheels for ones he wanted more.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:14 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you get deep enough discount and only plan to keep car until warrantee expires seems the way to go. Especially if it is exactly what you have been looking for. If not, if was me, I would still keep shopping.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:28 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing that I've often heard is that things like maximum RPM, hits on the rev limiter, etc. are stored by the car's computer system. If that's true, then it should be quite easy for a dealer to show whether or not the car has been abused, right? If the dealer has allowed a test driver to exceed the Porsche recommended RPM limit, a discount is in order.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by Skip in Boulder
One thing that I've often heard is that things like maximum RPM, hits on the rev limiter, etc. are stored by the car's comput er system. If that's true, then it should be quite easy for a dealer to show whether or not the car has been abused, right? If the dealer has allowed a test driver to exceed the Porsche recommended RPM limit, a discount is in order.
that will tell you if the car has been redlined, or overrevved past redline due to a missed shift.

it will NOT tell you if the car has exceeded break in RPMs during the break in period
Old 11-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Rasta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogle
that will tell you if the car has been redlined, or overrevved past redline due to a missed shift.

it will NOT tell you if the car has exceeded break in RPMs during the break in period
Ditto!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:36 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

I consider that car a 'demo' and price should be adjusted. You know the oil pressure bypass valves have had a workout with all those cold start (I assume) test drives. FWIW
Old 11-29-2004, 03:26 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Don't forget the bigger issue is not whether the car was driven over break-in rpms (which undoubtedly it was), but almost more important, this was most likely done when the car was cold. My experience is the salesman tells you to step on it (they want to thrill you to sell a car), and this is usually done minutes after you drive off the lot.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:36 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Don't forget the bigger issue is not whether the car was driven over break-in rpms (which undoubtedly it was), but almost more important, this was most likely done when the car was cold. My experience is the salesman tells you to step on it (they want to thrill you to sell a car), and this is usually done minutes after you drive off the lot.
oh yea, don't forget about the cooties of all the people who've sat in it and touched everything.

yes, i'm serious, this is a big issue for some people, including me, especially at this price point, and with cars wehre this much emotion is usually attributed to ownership.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Moogle,
I agree, the thought of driving a car that someone else has sat in, ate in, farted in and whatever else in is alien to me. That's why I always drive new cars. When I got my '03 C4S it had 17miles on it, the dealer offered me a 02TT with less than 3k on it for a cheap price, I passed.
I would negotiate the price of this 'demo'car.

Quick Reply: 123 miles on a new car?