Sponsored by:

How close am I ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 02:09 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How close am I ??

I live in New Jersey and just tried to add an option to my base Carrera. I have a November build date and I was just told by my dealer that they tried to amend my order, and it's now too late. Does this mean that production of my car has been moved up? My saleslady only gave me a "maybe". Original delivery is scheduled for January.

Any insight is greatly appreciated as I am also trying to time the sale of my beloved 993 C4.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:38 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Has your dealer told you what the status code of your order is???

The following was taken from:
http://www.986faq.com/3-0/default.asp
(It's a good read)

From the point that the car is entered into the IDCS until it reaches the ACPORD status, the dealer can change configuration and options directly using the IDCS. Once the ACPORD status has been reached, the dealer can no longer change the car through the IDCS. While it is in the MFGCNF state, the dealer may be able to change the order. The dealer can find out by going into the IDCS, selecting the Opt field, then pressing 8 for View. If the message shows "Released to production department" or "Assigned a Production Number", it is not changeable. If these messages do not appear, the dealer can fill out an Order Change Request form and fax it to Joe West at PCNA. After making a change, make sure that you get a printed copy of the updated pro-forma invoice with your name at the top. Also be careful when making changes, because some changes might go through and others be rejected. So if you change both the interior and exterior color you might only get one changed, which might leave you with an undesirable color combination. Once the car reaches the PLPROD status, the configuration is not changeable.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:50 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the detailed answer...I was just trying to add auto-dimming mirrors but I do believe the saleslady mentioned something along the lines of the order being released to the production department. I'll check out the Boxster board...it looks like I may have my car for Christmas! Wanna buy a rock solid 993 C4 in Guards Red?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are likely at the stage that it gets assigned a production number, or has been planned for production.

these are good signs,

you are likely 1 month away from getting built, and 2 months away from recieving the car.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:32 PM
LSM911
7th Gear

Hi Jason,
Which dealership did you finally go with, and did they require a deposit?
Larry
Old 10-21-2004, 08:52 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Hey Larry -

I ordered the car through Princeton Porsche. My wife and I are friendly with the sales manager for their sister dealership (Mini/BMW) and I felt that I got a fairly good deal at the time ($3,000 off).

They originally wanted "at least" a $5,000 deposit and eventually agreed to $2,500. I believe deposits must be refunded under NJ law anyway. I thought about getting an "S", but their nearest delivery date was in April. By that point, I was very happy with the base Carrera's performance and didn't feel like shopping around at other dealerships.

When does your car come in?
Old 10-22-2004, 12:44 PM
LSM911
7th Gear

Hi Jason,
Congratulations on your purchase... My car (997S) will be ordered in late Nov. or Dec., hopefully for a Feb. or March delivery. I could have placed the order in early October, however I didn't want a Dec. or Jan. delivery.... not only because of the weather but to give me sufficient time to liquidate some assets.. The waiting is very difficult to say the least.. Depending on how well sales of the 997 coupes are going in the next couple of months, I may end up paying full list.... That'a a chance I'm willing to take....Again, best of luck....
Old 10-24-2004, 08:41 AM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My order could not be changed about 30 days before it was scheduled for production. It was built about 1 week early.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:06 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Larry-
I don't know if you have a relationship with a dealer in South Jersey, but Princeton Porsche has an open slot for an S with a delivery date around April...it appears that production is ahead of schedule (for now) so you may have it sooner than that. Let me know if you want the name of my saleslady, she was very easy to work with.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:06 AM
LSM911
7th Gear

Jason,
Thanks for the info about Princeton Porsche.... However, I and my wife have dealt with Cherry Hill several times in the past and have had very good experiences... Thanks again and good luck with your car.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:48 PM
Rasta
Racer

FWIW, the guys at Brandywine Porsche in PA are also very friendly.

Quick Reply: How close am I ??