Sponsored by:

Thinking of a 997S . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts
Lightbulb Thinking of a 997S . . .

I'm thinking of ordering a 997 Carrera S and would like some input from current owners on few options I'm wavering on . .

The Carrera S appeals to me because it's normally aspirated and rear wheel drive. I've driven a 996 and I liked it. I want a car that won't beat me up driving for 200-300 miles but I don't really want a floating barge either. I want something fun to drive. The car will be parked over the winter and not used as a daily driver to work but pretty much everywhere else. I also want to do a couple of track days a year. Oh and it will be a 6 speed. This will be my first Porsche.

I have my dad's 2000 Corvette Convertible 6sp that I inherited. I'm going to keep that car forever so I don't plan on putting lots of km on it every year.

Anyway, I'd appreciate anyone's comments (pro or con) on the following:
- PCCB - I've done a seach of prior threads and for the cost I don't see the benefit. Are the new ones better than those on the GT2 & Turbo?
- Bose Stereo - worth the $$$ over the regular?
- Navigation system - Is it as good as others on the market or will it look dated in 5 yrs.?
- Sport Exhaust - ?
- Short Shifter - ?
- Sport Chrono? Useful?
- Full Leather Int.
- paint - I'm down to Altas Grey, Arctic Silver, Basalt Black (avail. in Canada) or Seal Grey. The Vette is arrest-me yellow. I want to maintain the points on my driving record so I'm going for a more subtle color.

Again, thanks in advance for the comments. This forum has a wealth of information.

BTW, I love Porsches, been to both Rennsport Reunions and have a pile of diecast Porsches but no real ones. I've come close to buying a 1990 944 Turbo (Canada got a few in 1990) but didn't bite as I bought a house. I've wanted one since I was a kid. Although I'm only 31 the way things have worked out I'm able to get a car that I want (within reason so no Carrera GT).
Old 10-08-2004, 08:35 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO the Porsche will not beat you up in 2-300 mi of driving,, In my 02C2 I have done several xcountry trips the last being 18 states and 6700 miles. Typically I will do 8-10 hour stints, and my body feels fine, the seating in the 996 is super, and they say that the 997's adaptive sport seats is even better.

PCCB.. Great brakes but worth the $8,000 additional, nope, the standard brakes are the best on a production car.

Navigation gets my vote, I have it in my 02 (7 cd's for the US) and love it! Will it look dated in 5 years, most likley, but it will still get you where you want to go...technology is like that.

Bose: the new Bose is much improved- get it
Sport Exhaust - ? No HP gains but sounds nice worth 2400nice nope
Short Shifter - ? The 997 stock is not bad...short is a bit notchy in cold temps
Sport Chrono? Useful? The key here is the throtle remaping, thats the best part! The timing function I could care less, Because of remaping it gets a yes vote.
Full Leather Int Looks nice and smells nice purley asthetic. I like it!
Paint: I grow tired of seeing Black, Grey and Silver Porsches Its really personal...my 997 will be Guards Red(one of the free colors)

P cars are a blast you wont regret getting one.
Consider doing the Porsche Driving Experience (www.porschedriving.com) it's worth the $$ that it costs..and since your new to Porsche it's an ultimate test drive!

Last edited by MJones; 10-08-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:18 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I basically agree with MJones with minor exception.

PCCB: Even though I have it, its probably not worth the extra 8k (US$). The literature suggests the 2005 PCCB is changed a lot from the prior, presumably for the better.

Sport exhaust - I put it on my former 04 Targa. On the 997S, you get a louder and throatier standard exhaust - not as much as the sport exhaust, but I don't feel a strong need to change it. Best to go listen in person to decide.

Sport chrono - this should be standard for the reasons MJones states; its not the stop watch that counts, but the other features that come with it. Definitely get it.

Full leather - obviously personal preference, but I would never get a car without it anymore (hated the dash in the 04 Targa, which did not have full leather.

Short shifter - put one in the 04 Targa; the 997S is shortened a little from the 996, and again I feel no strong need to change it.

Good luck.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:55 AM
Future_Owner
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet another set of opinions:

- PCCB - Even though these are second generation, still too expensive for me. No for this.

- Bose Stereo - I thought this was worth it. Yes for this.

- Navigation system - Where I live, there is no need for navigation, No for this.

- Sport Exhaust - While true no HP gain, I think what it adds to the overall driving experience is still worth it. Yes for this. Getting it through Tequipment as it was not available at ordering time.

- Short Shifter - Undecided on this until I get chance to try it out.

- Sport Chrono? When I placed my order for this, I decided against it because I thought it just added a more aggressive throttle remap with a stop watch. The additional simultaneous adjustments to PASM and PSM seem to be things you could do outside of sports chrono. Never had a chance to test drive a Sports chrono equipped car, because they keep getting sold before anyone can test drive. However, From the message boards it seems to change engine dynamics significantly and really adds to the driving experience. in retrospect I would've added this to my order. Yes to this.

- Full Leather Int. - No question here, get the full leather.

- paint - Out of your choices I like Atlas Grey or Basalt Black. I like atlas because of the way it changes throughout the day, in the afternoon it has a bluish/purplish tinge and at dusk/dawn or night it looks closer to metallic black.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:02 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

I would order sports chrono, sport seats, supple leather and floor mats. I think that all the car needs!
Old 10-09-2004, 03:28 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

I don't need the bose because I will put in another system for like 10k so that would be a waste. The exhaust I am not sure about. How are the aftemarket exhaust systems for Porsches? Leather, of course, the sport shifter you could probably get an aftermarket one that is just as good or maybe better but I will most likely get it anyway. The Sport Chrono I think I will get because I like the way it looks. The Nav you can get aftermarket with DVD so I would say no on that.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by the way, all cars come with the PCM (navigation screen), yu must buy an internal module, that activates the navigation, however, the screen comes with all cars.

full leather and bose are a must,

sport exhaust is too, but it won;'t be availible as an option or a retrofit part until january 05
Old 10-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey whats up moneybiz

the stereo is a pain in the *** to replace, porsche has that stupid MOST fiber bus. i would suggest getting the bose system, if not for the prewired and predrilled speaker holes in all the right places.

other than that, sport chrono is very good since you get the sport button which enhances the throttle

the short shifter is not a must, and can be retrofitted.

also, the sport exhaust its best to stick with porsche, europipe, or tubi.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:27 AM
qirex
Racer

I thought the sports exhaust adds like 10HP.

Also, is it true that if retrofitted, you dont get the loud/soft button??

Quick Reply: Thinking of a 997S . . .