Sponsored by:

997S Discount in NC

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004 | 12:30 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Default 997S Discount in NC

Interesting tidbit - AutoSpies email that just came includes an ad for a 997S launch car (sticker 99,300) from Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, NC, for $94,300 ($5,000 discount). I'm not shocked by this, and I suspect the demand for cars with the $8k ceramic brake option will not be great, even though I otherwise believe the 997S will be a great seller.
Old 10-08-2004 | 02:18 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not surprised at all. Saw the car the day it arrived. This will be happening at many dealerships. 99.3K is too high for the intro car, so the dealers want them unloaded. I bet it can be had for 90.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-08-2004 | 02:20 AM
Moogle
Race Car

indeed, many people are realizing that its the same price as a GT3 and isnt quite as special. and emotion plays a big role at this level for most people.

that said, the intro cars were way overoptioned, 15k? options. most people need a few like sport exhuast, PASM, wheels, and full leather, the PCCBs are overpriced, but are a good option.

the launch cars should be selling at invoice plus a 2-5k in a few months if they arent moved soon.
Old 10-08-2004 | 05:39 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

It's sort of like the problem with the 40th - just too heavily optioned to generate enough demand (at least for almost 2,000 of them). Obviously I went with the emotion and bought a launch car with a mere $1,500 discount (but a great trade-in value on my Targa). I'd still want all my options, except the ceramic brakes are just probably not worth the 8K for most people, though I do like the yellow calipers (but painting them is a lot cheaper!).

That said, I think in a normal, stabilized market, a $4-5K discount is normal and there's still plenty of profit left for the dealers; end of year discounts and just occasional end of month or other good deals, quite a bit more discount.
Old 10-08-2004 | 08:14 AM
Sobe
Pro

Hendrick Porsche said they ship anywhere ... I thought the dealers could not sell out of their territories . If dealers can sell out of state etc I would think you could really price shop around . When your ready to order just send and email to every dealer in the country and name the price you want to pay and see who goes for it , kind of like price line .com . I remember my dealer telling me how mad they were at Champion in Florida , becuase they sold so cheap to people out of state and could not compete with Champions price . They said the more cars a dealer sells the larger the allocation and that it really has let dealers like Champion take off . Sell more cars if you can sell cheaper and becuase you have such a large allocation you can sell cheaper. Then the dealers with a small allocation must get higher prices becuase they have so few cars they can get . I remember when European delivery did not come out of a dealers allocation but counted as a car to increase allocation . At that time I was able to get good discounts from the dealer if I took European delivery becuase it was a way for them to get their allocation up . I guess the real question is what does the dealer pay for the car , these days with American cars at least you can get that info pretty easy and use it to price shop . The real problem has been with Porsche has been supply and demand and supply depends on allocation .
Old 10-08-2004 | 07:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Interesting tidbit - AutoSpies email that just came includes an ad for a 997S launch car (sticker 99,300) from Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, NC, for $94,300 ($5,000 discount). I'm not shocked by this, and I suspect the demand for cars with the $8k ceramic brake option will not be great, even though I otherwise believe the 997S will be a great seller.
You need to know a lot more about this specific car before coming to the conclusion that the 997S will be heavily discounted nationwide.

How many miles does it have? These cars have been out for over a month now; this could be a demo with a lot of brutal miles on it, or a buyback/trade in meaning you'd be the second owner with only a 5% discount over new. And in either case it could have been damaged.
Old 10-08-2004 | 07:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sobe
When your ready to order just send and email to every dealer in the country and name the price you want to pay and see who goes for it...
This strategy artificially inflates demand, which artificially inflates price since the supply doesn't change. Similar to people putting names on multiple waiting lists of high demand cars.

IMO, a better approach is to find out who has the most inventory in the least likely markets (inventory for each dealership can be seen on Porsche's website), and call them on the last day of a month.
Old 10-09-2004 | 10:59 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Same game Merc has been playing for years now...Pre-order and put deposit because the car is sooooo hard to get....Wait 6 months and they will be sitting on the lot, just like Mercedes!!!

"I guarantee it" (Mens Wherehouse" LOL!!!
Old 10-09-2004 | 11:09 PM
vtrader
Track Day

North Carolina must not be a big Porsche market. Here in California, the triple black beauties all sold right away and some for $5K-$10K over MSRP. A used one sold for $5K over list also. Some dealers are even selling a non-S for $5K. It all depends on the market. Here in Los Angeles there are Porsche dealers every 5-10 miles in some locations.
Old 10-10-2004 | 06:57 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Charlotte, NC, home of 3 Maybachs, hundreds of 911's, and THOUSANDS of Lexi, Benzes and Bimmers. Remember, when you are in the land of conservative bankers, this is what they wear.

Old 10-10-2004 | 07:00 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
Same game Merc has been playing for years now...Pre-order and put deposit because the car is sooooo hard to get....Wait 6 months and they will be sitting on the lot, just like Mercedes!!!

SOOO true <cough> SL class <cough>
Old 10-11-2004 | 12:52 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

i agree robert, you are correct.

Quick Reply: 997S Discount in NC