Sponsored by:

997 Rear Roof Rod Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Rear Roof Rod Antenna

Does this option work any better in pulling in AM signals than the windshield glass antenna? I'm specking out a 997 for a January build & I'm considering the option.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:59 PM
mile 4
7th Gear

I ordered it for my Dec build car. My '87 had lousy reception in the remote area where we live. I asked the dealer who asked someone in PCNA at the dealer unveiling/test drive mid August - answer is yes, it improves both AM and FM. I wonder if anyone currently driving a 997 has one?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

The order guide says it improves AM reception--no mention of FM. I find the modern in-glass antennas work very well (my '04 Carrera is great), and I think those exterior antennas are ugly--and it's one more thing to make it look like a Beetle

Old 09-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

Originally Posted by mile 4
I wonder if anyone currently driving a 997 has one?
My 2005 911 model pamphlet refers to the rod antenna option as being available 10/04.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:48 AM
Sobe
Pro

It would be nice if Porsche would offer at least a roof mount satellite radio antenna so you could take advantage of this technology which is incredible . If it was done at the factory it could be an on-glass antenna or a mirror-mount antenna . And also get the Apple ipod as an option like BMW and Volkswagen . These 2 new technology make for a whole new entertainment experience. A lot of music content in a small space . I remember not ordering a CD changer in my C4 cab becuase it took up so much valuable trunk space , now you could have every CD you own on an Ipod { about the size of a pack of cigarettes } in your car when you drive . An add to that hundreds of clear digital commercial free radio channels with the satellite radio . The only problem with this combo is that it is not something that can put in at the factory at this time . At some point this kind of technology will be offered by them . As much as I hate adding things after you get the car , to incorporate these things into the stereo may be worth it if music is important to you when you drive . General Motors cars now come with XM satalite radio . And for now as far as the ipod goes you could just use an iPod FM Broadcaster on your ipod and throw it in the glovebox. ..... Just a thought ...

Soundgate can usulay incoporate this stuff with your factory system .

http://www.soundgate.com/

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip_mini/

Last edited by Sobe; 09-30-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:24 AM
vtrader
Track Day

I saw a 997 last week with a rod antenna. It looked better than I thought it would. The dealer also had no trouble selling it. It sold within a day of its arrival.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:21 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Are any pics available of the rod antenna on a 997?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Pete@Stratmosphere
Intermediate

I haven't had a problem picking up AM so far in my S. Probably better than some VWs that had a real antenna. -Pete
Old 10-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like a completely useless option... how many people really listen to AM radio, and how many find the reception from the windshield integrated antennae in the 996 to not be enough for such purposes to justify adding an ugly thing like that...

Quick Reply: 997 Rear Roof Rod Antenna