Silly questions, please don't laugh

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 08:03 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts
Default Silly questions, please don't laugh

Hi all,

I am going to pull the trigger and order a 997S. Have always worshipped the 911, and finally I will be able to afford one...I hope.

My question is: has anyone ever tried to put a childseat in the back "seat" of the 911. Looks too small to me, but anyone with real world experience? I would like to go on some long roadtrips with my 3 year old son.

TIA!

2004 Basalt BLack Cayenne Turbo
2004 Acura TL A-spec
2000 E39 M5 (gone, but not forgotten)
1998 E36 M3 (ditto)
Old 09-03-2004, 08:42 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Child Seat

Porsche Tequipment makes them specific for the 997, but it looks like for the front only
Old 09-03-2004, 08:57 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put my 3 year old in a booster car seat in the back of my 996....
Old 09-03-2004, 09:36 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Check the archives using the search function...many people have put rearward-facing infant seats in the back of 993's...so it'll probably work for 997's as well. Plus, your son might be old enough for just a booster. In that case, the only one that will fit is the Britax Starriser. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:14 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Won't be a problem for you. While the front seat(s) has to be moved forward, my wife (5'7") has no problem in the front passenger seat with my almost 3 y/o daughter behind her. There are many threads on rennlist with child seat info. The 997S is no different that 996 in this respect, in fact, there may actually be a hair more room.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:15 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

By the way:

A. Your questions are not silly - when you search and find all the child seat threads, you will see you are not alone.

B. It appears the 997S has a new module that is fitted into the console on the side by the door (or somewhere around there) that has a key mechanism to enable / disable the passenger airbags. This would be for front seat use of the child seat only, not the rear seat. The old mechanism was a bar that mounted under the passenger seat with a seatbelt buckle-type device wired into your car's computer, so when you plugged the Porsche brand child seat latch into it, it told the computer to disable the airbags. Same principle with 997S, but different mechanism.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:15 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Forgot to use the "search" fxn. Sorry.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Child seat for the rear - what fits?

So, which forward facing child seat actually fits in a 997's rear seat? By my measurement the base of the rear seat is about 13" wide.

Brand, model number and prices paid appreciated.

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera (Arctic Silver/Black)
Old 02-13-2005, 07:05 PM
BD997
Racer

yarum...
Old 02-13-2005, 10:21 PM
VS1
Intermediate

I just went through the same for our 1 year old last night. A lot of the toddler/booster seats fit very well into the rear seat and leave more room for the passenger, but none of those would tighten down very well due to the position of the seat belt receptical [if it were further back we'd have a lot more options]. After trying a couple of seats and tightening as best I could, the Britax Marathon [which we use in the other cars - and I highly recommend (about $250 at Babies R Us)] has the most secure fit by a long shot. It takes up more space than some of the others, but still leaves my wife a decent amount of room in the front. On the rear deck there are perforations for the upper tether anchor point, but if your car is like mine, you'll have to do a little cutting to 'break' the carpet free. Also, I left the seat backs in place but pulled up the seat bottom to get the car seat base to fit snug and a bit lower. After some work - the seat is very secure but still not totally snug as in our other cars with LATCH/ISOFIT - but it is tight enough that I feel comfortable she's safe and the installation is definitely under 1" of movement in any given direction. I'll try and attach a few pictures.
Attached Images     
Old 02-13-2005, 11:41 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VS1
I just went through the same for our 1 year old last night. A lot of the toddler/booster seats fit very well into the rear seat and leave more room for the passenger, but none of those would tighten down very well due to the position of the seat belt receptical [if it were further back we'd have a lot more options]. After trying a couple of seats and tightening as best I could, the Britax Marathon [which we use in the other cars - and I highly recommend (about $250 at Babies R Us)] has the most secure fit by a long shot. It takes up more space than some of the others, but still leaves my wife a decent amount of room in the front. On the rear deck there are perforations for the upper tether anchor point, but if your car is like mine, you'll have to do a little cutting to 'break' the carpet free. Also, I left the seat backs in place but pulled up the seat bottom to get the car seat base to fit snug and a bit lower. After some work - the seat is very secure but still not totally snug as in our other cars with LATCH/ISOFIT - but it is tight enough that I feel comfortable she's safe and the installation is definitely under 1" of movement in any given direction. I'll try and attach a few pictures.
Thanks for the info. I have a Marathon, but my 3 year old is getting too big. I just purchased the Porsche Junior booster that works really well. In fact, I switch it in-between the RX330 and the 997S all the time. It fits so well, I don't think I'm going to get the front airbag deactivation kit...
Old 02-14-2005, 11:00 AM
PV
Pro

I think that this is an underestimated strength of the 911. I can pick up two of my kids in the 911. They sit comfrotable and enjoy the ride while looking at the map and so on.

So, don't worry, you are not alone :-)
Old 02-14-2005, 07:27 PM
VS1
Intermediate

alin2 - does the Porsche Junior booster take up less space than the Marathon in the back? Sounds like it might be the right move as she gets bigger.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:27 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VS1
alin2 - does the Porsche Junior booster take up less space than the Marathon in the back? Sounds like it might be the right move as she gets bigger.

Definitely less space. There is no "base" to the booster which makes it much easier to handle.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Porky
Instructor

This is a question for Robert, love the look of your car! I am buying one this weekend. The dealer has about 5 in stock, the options I can get are
Blk/Blk
19" Carrera 5 Spokes
Sport Chrono
Sport Shifter
Xenons
PASM

I would like all of the above except the 19" Carrera alloys, I was kind of hoping for the new Carrera S alloys BUT if I want them I will have to wait until June / July!

I got my 2003 C2 996 with the 18" carrera's. Lovely wheels just wouldn't mind a change...
Was there any particular reason you went for the Carrera Classic's? Or was it more for looks?

Quick Reply: Silly questions, please don't laugh