Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$425 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 11:19 PM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 189 Posts

I think sand wedge goes to champion and its my closest dealer also. It's the coolest place on earth for a porsche guy but they're going through a major remodel and I bet every price hike is going towards it. My neighbor just had an indy do his oil in a f430 for 300 parts included lol.

Theres a difference between a fair rate for a fair job and trying to screw someone. And if you got them to break down the quote i think they're at 285 an hour labor now which is insane and are selling mobil 1 for full joe gibbs retail.

Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,056 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Mobility.... oy my back. Yea, I get it. I used to take ibuprofen after a job, I now take it before a job. Taking it as a prophylactic is really key to being able to sleep that night. I still love doing this work... I also lift the car higher.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Good move. I read somewhere that painkillers like Tylenol and Advil are more effective if you take them before you're in pain but anticipate pain in an hour or so. True or not, I don't know but it works for me.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Good move. I read somewhere that painkillers like Tylenol and Advil are more effective if you take them before you're in pain but anticipate pain in an hour or so. True or not, I don't know but it works for me.
I used to take three Advil every morning with breakfast. It helped. But after a year or two my stomach protested. I now only take it after it's really needed.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,602 Likes on 962 Posts

So... some math.... I do 5K oil changes... now at 202K miles. That is roughly 40 oil changes. So, given Mr Sandwedge's cheapest oil change price from his dealer of $200... that is $8,000 in oil change. At $300 per change, that is $12,000 in changes.

My cost runs about $72 for 8 quarts of oil, about $25 for a bottle of CeraTec, and about $20 for a filter. So, about $117 per DIY change and I think this is high.. so 40 changes comes to $4,680.

Well... I can say that the savings I got from oil changes probably paid for all my suspension work over the years... of course I DIY that. I guess the lesson is one that we all know... doing it yourself can save a ton of money.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I used to take three Advil every morning with breakfast. It helped. But after a year or two my stomach protested. I now only take it after it's really needed.
Those advils can do tons of damage!
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

The issue is that the labor rate is the same for every job where every job doesn’t require the same level of skill and specialized equipment.

It’s like going to a surgeon to treat your hang nail. Sure, every once I a blue moon you gnawing on it and then sticking it in some mulch might cause problems but you sure as hell don’t need to go to a surgeon.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 716 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
It’s like going to a surgeon to treat your hang nail. Sure, every once I a blue moon you gnawing on it and then sticking it in some mulch might cause problems but you sure as hell don’t need to go to a surgeon.
True, but if you did choose to go see a surgeon for your hang nail, and receive the surgeon's bill, you can't complain about the surgeon's billing rate.

Quick Reply: $425 oil change