Sponsored by:

PDK codes and troubles

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:27 AM
Gvh911
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PDK codes and troubles

Today I started my car and got the transmission emergency run message with a P173E code:Transmission input shaft speed sensor 2. short circuit to B+

I turned the car off, cleared the code and the car drove fine.

Then next time I got in the car after it had been sitting for a while, I got the same code, cleared it again, drove off, then the car said “transmission temp too high” and refused to move. I plugged the scanner in and the trans temp was 88°C. Far from “too high”.

Battery issue? Am I looking at a new PDK unit soon? thanks
Old Yesterday, 03:08 AM
Gvh911
Rennlist Member

Noticed battery is dated 02/2021. Batteries don’t last long here in Phoenix. Disconnected battery entirely and have it on reconditioning programming. Will report back tomorrow!
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,659 Likes on 4,232 Posts

What usually fails in the PDKs are the distance and temp sensors, not the mechanical parts. People can fix them now and @PV997 is our PDK guru.

If the battery replacement doesn't resolve it, you'll need to take it somewhere that works on them instead of just replaces them.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 554 Posts

I would prepare myself for the sticker shock coming up.
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
I would prepare myself for the sticker shock coming up.
Yes, you're likely looking at a speed sensor replacement. Don't let them charge you for removing the transmission, this can be done with it still in the car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-997/...placement.html

Last edited by stjoh; Yesterday at 12:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,602 Likes on 962 Posts

2009 C2S 202K miles

Distance sensor failure is common but there are actually quite a few failure modes for a PDK. Here is a presentation video from a speed shop that repairs PDKs (I was in the audience for this one). They kinda have to as tracking PDKs result in higher failure rate... and they do upgrades.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 202K miles

Distance sensor failure is common but there are actually quite a few failure modes for a PDK. Here is a presentation video from a speed shop that repairs PDKs (I was in the audience for this one). They kinda have to as tracking PDKs result in higher failure rate... and they do upgrades.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Absolutely, thanks for pointing that out. I took a second look at the OP and found that I misread the code. P173E points to a faulty #2 speed sensor, not a distance sensor. I have updated my previous post accordingly.

With the use of a PIWIS you should be able to confirm this prior to opening the transmission up. The procedure is the same as for the speed sensor.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...d-again-5.html
Old Today, 12:07 AM
Gvh911
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

my battery took nearly 24 hours to recondition, and given it’s age, I just went ahead and got a new one.

the problem persists, however. Same 4 codes as noted above without even starting the car. 3 temperature codes and a speed sensor short circuit code.

W/r/t sensor replacement - has anyone seen an invoice for this job? Any idea of cost? im curious the price delta between swapping these sensors and just getting a lower mileage used unit or a remanned one.

As to why I’d be interested in a different unit altogether: Since I bought the car, I’ve actually noticed very weird “rev floating” behavior from time to time in gears 3,5, and 7. It’s almost as if the clutch disengages completely at feathery throttle — revs climb but gear is disengaged — then thumps back into action as soon as I provide more input. Maybe this was a symptom or precursor of the failing of the sensor?

Quick Reply: PDK codes and troubles