Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bore scoring found - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2024 | 03:18 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B453D
If you don't already do so, get used oil analysis from SPEEDiagnostix at every oil change so that you have data and can indentify trends (I would change the engine oil every 3K).
C'mon guys. This site already scared him enough into spending money on the World's Worst Borescope Inspection. Unless he really needs to know *immediately* if it's scored, what good is an oil analysis going to do? Game it out:

Option 1: it comes back bad. Well, the engine is scored. Nothing he can do to fix it, just drive it and monitor for symptoms
Option 2: It comes back good. Just drive it and monitor for symptoms

People act like changing motor oil brands or something is going to fix bore scoring or make a significant difference in wear at this point. The car's got 130K, whatever was done has worked so far. Just drive it, use an approved oil, change it on a reasonable basis, and monitor consumption. It starts burning a lot of oil or smoking worry about it then.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrMoose:
azmousss (08-13-2024), KLS (08-14-2024), theblooms (08-19-2024)
Old 08-13-2024 | 04:05 PM
spessx
Rennlist Member

Brandon from Slakker or Charles Navarro should chime in but I honestly don't see anything that looks like scoring. The pics aren't great but those bores look fine to me - especially for having 130k on the clock. I think Brandon mentioned that Bore Scoring is the cause for a relatively low percentage of the engines they rebuild. And often, engines that are sent to them that have been diagnosed with scoring, don't have it.

It couldn't hurt to do some of the things mentioned above - move to a low temp thermostat, switch to DT40 oil, don't idle the car to warm it up but drive it easy until the oil is up to temp.
The following 2 users liked this post by spessx:
alaris (08-13-2024), azmousss (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024 | 04:31 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 201K miles

I refrain from passing judgement on these bore score photos... butt.... first, they are out of focus, and even then, it does not look like anything is about to explode. If you are worried, and I assume you are, take the car to another place and have them scope it.... get better pictures. Further, scope it from below as that is where it all starts. That is what I would do... I could give you my opinion on what I see but that is flat out not valuable to anyone especially you.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-13-2024 at 04:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
Old 08-13-2024 | 04:47 PM
azmousss
Intermediate

thank you for the reply.
was the bore inspection terrible? should i have it re done?
i plan to continue to be careful and most importantly to enjoy it. i love this car.
Old 08-13-2024 | 04:49 PM
azmousss
Intermediate

peace Bruce - thank you for your words. i will ask around locally and seek a better "scope" in order to get better pictures. thank you.
Old 08-13-2024 | 04:51 PM
azmousss
Intermediate

thank you. i didnt even know they were terrible/unclear. i know of a couple other owners locally and will ask around to get a better job done.
Old 08-13-2024 | 04:52 PM
azmousss
Intermediate

thank you. my plan is to enjoy the car daily and not to overly worry. i think the general advice seems to be the same. keep an eye out and keep getting the car services/checks up to date.

what are some of the other symptoms if i may ask please.
Old 08-13-2024 | 05:02 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

I can respect and appreciate your concerns about scoring. I worry far more than I should about the health and bore scoring potential of my 2006 Carrera S.

For whatever it's worth, I would NOT ask this shop to re-scope the motor. They are already suspect to me for suggesting that you re-scope every 10K km. It may be wise to seek out recommendations for another shop for future repair work and perhaps down the road have the car re-scoped if you experience issues like increased oil consumption, excessive exhaust soot, etc. (You can show a future shop these photos as an example of what bore scope photos should NOT look like. )

Try not to worry and continue to do as the universe intended: care for the car as normal, drive it with a big smile as much as possible and keep an eye out for issues.

Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by Hootsama:
Old 08-13-2024 | 05:04 PM
azmousss
Intermediate

thank you. appreciate the useful advice.
Old 08-13-2024 | 05:37 PM
da Vinci Dan
Instructor

Originally Posted by azmousss
thank you. my plan is to enjoy the car daily and not to overly worry. i think the general advice seems to be the same. keep an eye out and keep getting the car services/checks up to date.

what are some of the other symptoms if i may ask please.
Oil usage, smoke on start up, black rear left tail pipe... After you see any of these, drive it for another 100K, then start to worry.
The following 2 users liked this post by da Vinci Dan:
J.Correa (08-19-2024), K996 (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024 | 07:16 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Glad to see I am not the only one tired of hearing about BS. Bores look fine from the photos, drive the car and enjoy!
The following 3 users liked this post by Graufuchs:
alaris (08-13-2024), groovzilla (08-13-2024), TRINITONY (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024 | 07:50 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Please advise as to how much oil, if any, the car burns between oil changes and if any consistent ticking /slapping sounds from the engine and also if any excessive soot on the tailpipes ?
If minimal /none, heed all the above advice; drive it and do not worry.
Old 08-13-2024 | 08:37 PM
997Fanatic997
Instructor

Originally Posted by spessx
Brandon from Slakker or Charles Navarro should chime in but I honestly don't see anything that looks like scoring. The pics aren't great but those bores look fine to me - especially for having 130k on the clock. I think Brandon mentioned that Bore Scoring is the cause for a relatively low percentage of the engines they rebuild. And often, engines that are sent to them that have been diagnosed with scoring, don't have it.
​​​​​​I can testify to this...Brandon recently posted pics in my build thread stating I didn't really have bore scoring after I dropped some coin for a 4.1 rebuild.

That was after 2 reputable shops said I had it, and I was definitely seeing symptoms (misfires, oil consumption, soot, noise, etc).

Hoping I can tell myself none of that matters when I pick it up in next few weeks and take it to the track.
The following users liked this post:
SlakkerRacingDev (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024 | 09:31 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

All the info provided by the Forums is not meant to frighten or is not meant to be "fear mongering" by providers of repairs/solutions..

The info is meant to grow ***** and educate ....There is nothing wrong with knowing "exactly" what the condition of your engine is in and monitoring it closely...from scoping to compression test, to blow-by tests, or oil analysis ect..

Yes you can "Handle the Truth" and still be a happy owner/driver...no need to stick your head in the sand to a happy P-car owner..

True that if everyone on the M96 forums posted up pictures of their cylinder bores, looking at the nice/clean bores would get very "boring" ..but telling people not to do it all is just bad advice IMHO......

The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
groovzilla (08-14-2024), wdb (08-14-2024)
Old 08-13-2024 | 09:49 PM
alaris
Racer

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
All the info provided by the Forums is not meant to frighten or is not meant to be "fear mongering" by providers of repairs/solutions..

The info is meant to grow ***** and educate ....There is nothing wrong with knowing "exactly" what the condition of your engine is in and monitoring it closely...from scoping to compression test, to blow-by tests, or oil analysis ect..

Yes you can "Handle the Truth" and still be a happy owner/driver...no need to stick your head in the sand to a happy P-car owner..

True that if everyone on the M96 forums posted up pictures of their cylinder bores, looking at the nice/clean bores would get very "boring" ..but telling people not to do it all is just bad advice IMHO......
All of that said, the fascination/obsession with scoring has ruined the resale values of .1 cars forever. In less educated communities like reddit people essentially put the scarlet letter on all .1 cars, with everyone basically convinced that scoring is inevitable. Which it emphatically isn’t.

Quick Reply: Bore scoring found - now what?