Sponsored by:

997.2 clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 01:19 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,844 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by azmousss
question please, im at 130K miles manual 997.1 carrera . do i wait until clutch dies or request my mechanic to anticipate this if that makes sense?
If your at 130K milkes I'm betting the clutch has already been replaced by a previous owner

Old 07-15-2024, 03:09 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by azmousss
question please, im at 130K miles manual 997.1 carrera . do i wait until clutch dies or request my mechanic to anticipate this if that makes sense?
My understanding is the pedal gets harder to push as it gets closer to death, and a competent mechanic should know the difference in the feel.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:35 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
If you have never replaced that clutch in 130,000 miles, it's probably time much sooner rather than later. There are a bunch of things on a 997.1 that is easier to do with the engine out of the car so it might be good preventive maintenance to do all of those things at the same time. This is what I did with my wife's 997S at 120,000 miles.

Replace:
Coolant reservoir
Water pump
Thermostat
Accessory belt
All three belt pulleys
AOS
Heat exchanger o-rings
Starter rebuilt
Alternator rebuilt
Spark plugs
Ignition coils
All filters
Borescope engine (bad news found leading to engine rebuitd shortly after that)
and in your case, I would add clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, slave cylinder and Rear Main Seal.
But do you need to drop the engine to change it?

BTW, is changing the clutch straight forward as say on an older Toyota Supra. I've swapped a couple clutches before, but that's when I had hair, and NYC subway still used tokens.

edit: seems simple enough, video has some good tips.

Last edited by TRINITONY; Yesterday at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:36 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
If your at 130K milkes I'm betting the clutch has already been replaced by a previous owner
Could be all highway.
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 687 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
But do you need to drop the engine to change it?

BTW, is changing the clutch straight forward as say on an older Toyota Supra. I've swapped a couple clutches before, but that's when I had hair, and NYC subway still used tokens.

edit: seems simple enough, video has some good tips.
You technically don't need to drop the engine to do all that. BUT, the time saving in dropping the engine and having access to do all that work makes it so much more pleasant to just drop the engine and get them all done. For example, changing the coolant tank with engine in is 5 hours and a partial engine drop. Changing the coolant tank with engine out is 10 minutes. Changing spark plugs with engine out is 30 minutes instead of 4 hours. Changing heat exchanger orings is 10 minutes with engine out instead of 2 hours with engine in. And the AOS, well, let's say there is no need to invent more 4-letter words with the engine in.

The clutch job is a weekend job by itself for a self respecting DIY home mechanic. While the engine is out, it's 1 hour to do clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and RMS, even without the transmission lift.
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yelcab
You technically don't need to drop the engine to do all that. BUT, the time saving in dropping the engine and having access to do all that work makes it so much more pleasant to just drop the engine and get them all done. For example, changing the coolant tank with engine in is 5 hours and a partial engine drop. Changing the coolant tank with engine out is 10 minutes. Changing spark plugs with engine out is 30 minutes instead of 4 hours. Changing heat exchanger orings is 10 minutes with engine out instead of 2 hours with engine in. And the AOS, well, let's say there is no need to invent more 4-letter words with the engine in.

The clutch job is a weekend job by itself for a self respecting DIY home mechanic. While the engine is out, it's 1 hour to do clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and RMS, even without the transmission lift.
Makes sense if I'm DIYing it. Plus you get to take the pic of you in the engine bay ....ha ha

What's the minimum height needed for the drop, and do you need to remove the bumper? Checking to see if it can be done using a quickjack. Guess I can google...lol

edit: using SUV adaptors should give sufficient clearance.

Last edited by TRINITONY; Yesterday at 12:21 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 687 Likes on 427 Posts

You can do it with a quickjak. Do take the rear bumper off.
Old Today, 04:22 AM
azmousss
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you so much.
some of these have thankfully been done in the past year:
Replace:
Coolant reservoir
Water pump
Accessory belt
All three belt pulleys

thank you i will take this as a checklist to the mechanic to ask if indeed he will be looking at all these elements. many thanks!

Quick Reply: 997.2 clutch replacement