Sponsored by:

Lowered on 20” wheels—what to know

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 12:08 AM
M3Cavalry
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lowered on 20” wheels—what to know

I’m the new owner of a 997.2 lowered on Eibach springs and on 20” wheels front and rear with 245 and 305 tires respectively.

How many of you are on 20s? What modifications are needed to properly lower the car, if any? I have heard of needing GT3 tie rods to be able to properly align the car. Thanks for any input and experience!
Old 06-21-2024, 09:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,599 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Congrats on your new ride - 997s are fantastic.

As long as the rolling circumference of the wheel and tire combo is the same, a 20" vs 19" wheel doesn't have any bearing except in ride quality and performance where with the same wheels in a 19 or a 20 the 19 will always be better. Sidewall is slightly taller for more ride compliance and less dartiness, wheel and tire weight is lower for reduced unsprung weight which effects every aspect of driving dynamics - acceleration, handling, braking, suspension efficiency, steering feel, etc. You can probably tell I'm not a fan of 20s on a 997. I personally think they look too large for the the car and there's all the above too.

As far as lowering, ideally you'd want your sway bar ends to be parallel to the ground which they won't be once the car is lowered unless you have adjustable drop links, but it's a minor thing. As long as you can get the alignment into spec and the sway bar can rotate or angle enough to not have preload when the car is static with its weight on the wheels, it will be ok - not ideal, but OK. If the sway bar has preload, that's not good because preload once you turn and change the dynamics is like having two different spring rates on each side of the car and makes for unpredictable handling dynamics. If you have the sway bar disconnected, set the car on the ground and then can't move it enough to reattach the drop links, you'd have preload. That can also result in bent drop links when suspension loads are high.

Lots of car owners lower their cars because they think it looks cool without really understanding how to do it properly or the effect it can have on ride and handling when done improperly.
Old 06-21-2024, 02:12 PM
RNGRICK
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts

I have been driving my 997.1 with 20" for years, no issues, sure the ride is a bit harder on NJ/NYC roads, but since I am 5'10 and 155lbs, it is not a issue for me, I love the way they look as well.