Replacing Bushes (997.1)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 03:24 PM
R60BBA
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing Bushes (997.1)

Folks,

As part of a suspension overhaul I am looking to replace all of the bushes on my 997.1 Carrera S this summer.

Before I go through PET and obtain the relevant parts and corresponding part numbers, I was wondering whether anyone had done this before?

If so I would be grateful if you could please provide a list of all of the parts you replaced, incl. the relevant part numbers?

Cheers,
Old 06-05-2024, 06:27 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

You are going to get all answers from all over the place unless you are more specific. Do you want OEM ride? Track rat sitting on a skateboard ride? Something between? My adopted father @Petza914 has all solid bushings. I had something between but went back to more OEM for poor CA roads and long drives, and etc.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:19 PM
R60BBA
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@jamesinger the intended purpose of the car is primarily fast road use with the odd Nürburgring trip.

Definitely not looking to go down the solid bushes route.

Since creating the thread my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to have a quick snoop on PET.

I’m yet to gather the part numbers, but am currently thinking to replace the following:
  • Shocks/springs with a coilover kit - either KW V3s or Öhlins R&T. I’m leaning towards KW due to them offering 3 way adjustability as opposed to Öhlins’ 2 way adjustability + the KW spring rates are much lower than those of the Öhlins and therefore should be more comfortable when cruising
  • Front top mounts
  • Front control arms (forks)
  • Front lower control arms - considering 996 GT3 variants which are adjustable to allow more negative camber up front
  • Front axle fixings
  • Front anti-roll bar bushes
  • Tie rods (inners and outers)
  • Front wheel bearings
  • Engine mounts (won’t be changing due to the previous owner installing RSS mounts)
  • Gearbox mounts
  • Rear top mounts
  • Rear upper control arms (dog bones)
  • Rear lower toe arms
  • Rear control arms (forks)
  • Rear lower control arms (coffins)
  • Rear axle fixings
  • Rear anti-roll bar bushes
  • Rear drop-links - believe KW and Öhlins only supply front links with their kits but will need to confirm
  • Rear wheel bearings
  • Rear subframe bushes
  • Rear cross brace bushes

Brand wise looking to either go genuine Porsche or Lemforder/TRW (who I believe are the OEM) for the arms. And either genuine Porsche or F A G for the wheel bearings.

Happy for someone to point out if I have missed something?

Or share a list of the parts (incl. part numbers) they replaced when doing their suspension overhaul as previously mentioned.

Last edited by R60BBA; 06-05-2024 at 08:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jamesinger (06-06-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 08:32 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Adopted Father LOL....

The solid bushings in my car aren't even noticeable except for some harmonic vibrations I can detect when I added the monoball top mounts to the rear B16s. The car is simply a joy to drive in all conditions and even on long trips, and my last alignment since nothing wears or moves was back in 2014. The steering wheel is straight, tire wear is good and the car drives perfectly so don't see any reason to realign it.
The following users liked this post:
jamesinger (06-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Replacing Bushes (997.1)