Sponsored by:

AC on and off

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 07:08 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Default AC on and off

I am recently having a problem with the AC in my 2008 997.1 C4S cab.

I first noticed it a few weeks ago, that the compressor wasn’t blowing cold air. I thought it just needed a recharge. So I bought the kit and followed the instructions.

To my surprise, all I did was connect it to the low pressure valve in the frunk, and never even really charged the system. It read fine.

When I turned it back on, cold air. We have been away for a few weeks, and yesterday was the first time driving her again. Same result with the warm air blowing.

I’m going to check the codes and try the kit again, but would love any feedback if anyone knows something.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2024, 11:39 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 892 Posts

2009 C2S 200K miles

You need to read the codes. For me, it was that little pressure valve that failed... a cheap $15 or so part. This valve finally threw a code but sometimes was working. With your A/C running, feel the two silver from/to pipes where the access ports are... under your battery cowling... one is thicker than the other... one should be warm, the other cold. For me, they were the same temperature showing some failure.

A repair shop misdiagnosed this and said I just needed a charge... they were wrong.... and charged me a good chunk of money for that. Finally, the code popped, I ordered the part and took it to another repair shop. Any shop with A/C tools can do the repair, this is not a Porsche issue... if your issue is similar. BTW, I purchased the recharge bottle with the pressure gauge (before I took it to the rip-off shop)... blah blah blah. My issue went misdiagnosed for almost a year... very frustrating.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05-25-2024 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MarkTro (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 12:00 PM
MarkTro
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 200K miles

You need to read the codes. For me, it was that little pressure valve that failed... a cheap $15 or so part. This valve finally threw a code but sometimes was working. With your A/C running, feel the two silver from/to pipes where the access ports are... under your battery cowling... one is thicker than the other... one should be warm, the other cold. For me, they were the same temperature showing some failure.

A repair shop misdiagnosed this and said I just needed a charge... they were wrong.... and charged me a good chunk of money for that. Finally, the code popped, I ordered the part and took it to another repair shop. Any shop with A/C tools can do the repair, this is not a Porsche issue... if your issue is similar. BTW, I purchased the recharge bottle with the pressure gauge (before I took it to the rip-off shop)... blah blah blah. My issue went misdiagnosed for almost a year... very frustrating.

Peace
Thanks Bruce. I’ll check those lines. I know what you are talking about and where they are. I really appreciatw it.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:29 PM
MarkTro
Instructor

Default White powder like substance

My guess is this is Freon but I’m not an expert at it. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 05-25-2024, 03:43 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 892 Posts

Yikes! That mess looks like battery acid. Does the battery have a vent line attached? Our cars have a built in vent line that drains to the underside of the car. I don't think this has anything to do with refrigerant as it gasses off... I will let others chime in here.

Peace
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
golftime (05-25-2024), MarkTro (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 05:07 PM
Der Mechaniker
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Yikes! That mess looks like battery acid. Does the battery have a vent line attached? Our cars have a built in vent line that drains to the underside of the car. I don't think this has anything to do with refrigerant as it gasses off... I will let others chime in here.

Peace
I agree with you, very much looks like battery is venting inside car to me too. Either way if it were me I’d be giving it a good clean maybe using sodium bicarbonate
MarkTro (05-25-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 12:51 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Agree, it's battery acid... clean asap otherwise will eat the battery tray... as for the ac, it could be a sign of a failing receiver dehydrator... a $20 denso part... easy to replace and cheap... do this and youll be a happy camper again!!
MarkTro (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 07:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,367 Likes on 4,058 Posts

That's acid. I would replace the battery too. You need to thoroughly clean that whole area with hot water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. When you replace the battery get an AGM one.
MarkTro (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 02:05 PM
MarkTro
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
That's acid. I would replace the battery too. You need to thoroughly clean that whole area with hot water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. When you replace the battery get an AGM one.
Thank you! Doing it today.
Old 05-26-2024, 02:07 PM
MarkTro
Instructor

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Agree, it's battery acid... clean asap otherwise will eat the battery tray... as for the ac, it could be a sign of a failing receiver dehydrator... a $20 denso part... easy to replace and cheap... do this and youll be a happy camper again!!

Any chance you might know where to get a receiver dehydrator and how to replace? I’ll YouTube and hopefully find it.

Thanks so much!
Old 05-26-2024, 07:04 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkTro
Any chance you might know where to get a receiver dehydrator and how to replace? I’ll YouTube and hopefully find it.

Thanks so much!
it's a readily available part ; pelican, fcp, suncoast.... they have it... you will need ac tools to successfully do the job. In the US, it is illegal to vent r134a to the atmosphere. You'll need a recovery machine.... other tools are vacuum pump, a gauge set.. you'll also need a tank of r134a... it's easy but tools are not that cheap so ask around for professions who can do it.... shouldn't be too expensive...
MarkTro (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 07:50 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

it's a readily available part ; pelican, fcp, suncoast.... they have it... you will need ac tools to successfully do the job. In the US, it is illegal to vent r134a to the atmosphere. You'll need a recovery machine.... other tools are vacuum pump, a gauge set.. you'll also need a tank of r134a... it's easy but tools are not that cheap so ask around for professions who can do it.... shouldn't be too expensive...
Thanks for this. Ahh, makes sense needing the A/C equipment to complete the job. That was what I was wondering. I really appreciate the information.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:53 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
Thank you for this. We spent a few hours cleaning it up. It was a HUGE mess. The shop that did my seat inserts recently disconnected the battery and must've disconnected the vent line by accident as they didn't remove the entire battery from the car and the vent is on the opposite side from the negative terminal. I'll be reaching out to them tomorrow for sure.

Thanks again and have a wonderful Memorial Day!

BTW, I'm in Mooresville (not too far from Clemson) and we have a pretty cool driving group if you are ever interested in driving with us.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:05 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Are you referring to a receiver drier by any chance? Sorry to be a pain, just don't want to get the wrong part. Thanks so much for your help!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...c&SVSVSI=12548
Old 05-27-2024, 11:45 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Yes
MarkTro (05-27-2024)

Quick Reply: AC on and off