Sponsored by:

997.2 C2 base model brake time

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 07:27 PM
SpectreH
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 997.2 C2 base model brake time

The time has come to replace the front pads and rotors on my ‘09 C2. It is the base model and the calipers have closed backs - you have to pull the caliper to swap pads. I want to make sure I order the correct parts. Would this kit from FCP Euro be correct?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...pagid-997brkt3

I also wondered if there are any videos for these calipers. Brake jobs, especially discs, are relatively easy, but I always like to research for any gotchas before digging in.

TIA
Old 05-15-2024, 11:18 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 173 Posts

When I upgraded mine, and I think maybe you need the same range of motion for pad replacement, I managed to cross thread the bolt that holds the brake line into the knuckle or upright. I recommend you don’t do that. Since the line is under a little tension the bracket kinda forces the bolt which leads to cross threading.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:54 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by SpectreH
The time has come to replace the front pads and rotors on my ‘09 C2. It is the base model and the calipers have closed backs - you have to pull the caliper to swap pads. I want to make sure I order the correct parts. Would this kit from FCP Euro be correct?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...pagid-997brkt3

I also wondered if there are any videos for these calipers. Brake jobs, especially discs, are relatively easy, but I always like to research for any gotchas before digging in.

TIA
That kit is fine. There is really nothing to it, except the hassle of removing the caliper. Make sure you have something to hang up the disconnected caliper. I use one of the hooks shown below hanging off the spring. Biggest risk is stripping threads re-attaching the brake lines and caliper bolts. If you have any intent to track the car where you’ll be frequently swapping pads, Tarret makes caliper mounting studs that eliminate the risk of stripping the upright threads. They will strip after a couple times otherwise.

In any case, blow out the threaded holes in the uprights with compressed air and be super careful threading and torquing them down.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:34 PM
SpectreH
Instructor

Thnanks everyone. I have ordered the kit, along with 4 new caliper bolts. It should be here Monday. I am not quire sure when I will do the work, but it will be soon. When I had wheel bearings and struts replaced about a month ago, the Indy said the front pads were down to 3 mm and the warning light would kick on at 2 mm. The rears still had 8 mm left on the pads, sp they should be good for a while. I also ordered a tool to press the caliper pistons back in place. I got it off of Amazon. The one at FCP seemed a bit much.
Old 05-26-2024, 02:46 PM
SpectreH
Instructor

My parts arrived Friday, a little later than expected. I did the job this morning and it was easy. I did have to run to the store for a T55 for the caliper bolts. If you don’t have the tool for pushing the pistons back it, I recommend it. I got one on Amazon for $20 and it worked great. Just finished the test drive / pad-rotor bedding operation, then stopped at Whataburger for lunch. Thank you to all you offered advice.
The following 3 users liked this post by SpectreH:
BillB128 (05-26-2024), Ohio Performance (05-27-2024), Ripking (05-27-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 05:11 PM
arcadia234
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I may be late to the party on this OP. I replaced my rotors and pads with a Zimmerman kit awhile back and did not realize that I also needed shims (see https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...=c&SVSVSI=3518) to help with the squeekies.

When I pulled the old calipers off, I found that one of the round inserts had apparently seized in the piston and the previous chuckle head that owned the car chose to remove the shim and leave the piston as is (insert grrr face here). I unscrewed the insert from the shim replacement, inserted it then screwed the shim to the stuck insert. I have a caliper rebuild coming in the near future.

Not that it has anything to do with your question but I figured I would toss in the fact that many kits do not include the shims.
Old 05-28-2024, 05:26 PM
SpectreH
Instructor

Interesting, this does not show up for my ‘09 C2…is it for S models only?
Old 05-28-2024, 05:33 PM
arcadia234
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I was about to say "I'm sure they use the same setup..." and thought better of it.
Old 05-28-2024, 05:37 PM
SpectreH
Instructor

Yes, for instance, my calipers are not open backed. You must pull the caliper to swap pads. Wasn’t an issue since I was replacing the rotors.

Quick Reply: 997.2 C2 base model brake time