Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bore Scoring Repair? Ceramic? Tribotex - wow....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 04:59 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts
Default Bore Scoring Repair? Ceramic? Tribotex - wow....

2009 C2S 198K miles

Just ran into this one... wow.... Anyone hear of this?

https://www.techbriefs.com/component...damage-in-cars

From Nasa's website... seems legit. https://www.nasa.gov/technology/tech...riven-by-nasa/

Tribotex

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05-12-2024 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 05:31 PM
Edcantera
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks interesting! I sent them an email to see if they have any direct research on the M9x engine platform.
Old 05-12-2024, 05:42 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

New to me but I note they have a special formulation for manual gearboxes - maybe I'm not the smartest but isn't reducing friction in the clutch plates not what you want to be doing?

In serious mode it would be interesting to see some more research done on what this means to engine wear - I 'assume' that this fills in the low spots and until it evens them out with the higher friction areas - hard to understand how the ceramic particles adhere with any kind of force but then it's been a long time since my Metallurgy and Materials engineering degree so technology has moved on (while my knowledge hasn't)...
Old 05-12-2024, 07:03 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tj40
New to me but I note they have a special formulation for manual gearboxes - maybe I'm not the smartest but isn't reducing friction in the clutch plates not what you want to be doing?

In serious mode it would be interesting to see some more research done on what this means to engine wear - I 'assume' that this fills in the low spots and until it evens them out with the higher friction areas - hard to understand how the ceramic particles adhere with any kind of force but then it's been a long time since my Metallurgy and Materials engineering degree so technology has moved on (while my knowledge hasn't)...
Yea, I thought of that too. I would think for a manual transmission like our, both a differential and a transmission in the same box, same shared fluid, you would not want to screw with the fine balance Porsche Mobilube PTX is formulated to be.

Regarding ceramic's properties, I have posted my love for Cera Tec (honestly, it is more emotion than anything) that claims ceramic nano-particles stick and coat metal parts at the microscopic level... so maybe this stuff is similar? Takes if further? Total speculation here.

Hey, who would have envisioned self-healing paint for cripes sake! https://newatlas.com/self-healing-car-paint/11254/

Peace
Old 05-12-2024, 11:47 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 604 Likes on 337 Posts

Snake oil? Magic bullet? Somewhere in between? Sounds interesting but I’m not holding my breath.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,454 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Ah, the new version of Z-max or Prolong engine treatment.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:06 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Oddly enough I know a person involved in that research rather well (dating his sister). Can’t speak of the tech at all but he is genuine and believes in it, plus has the before mentioned nasa grants. Also has BR1 an environmental cleaner that he developed. Haven’t used the tribotex in the 911 as no need but the br1 is a great cleaner and smells good!
Old 05-13-2024, 07:07 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting... It appears the magic particle in Tribotex is called Nano-Magnesium Silicate Hydroxide (nano-MSH).

Some research... looks real.

https://asmedigitalcollection.asme.o...dFrom=fulltext
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01679X17305352

Hey, how about MoS2 (Moly) and MSH? https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...38785424002965

Hmmm.....

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05-13-2024 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:13 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,454 Likes on 4,115 Posts

How great would it be to be able to fix bore scoring by pouring in a chemical instead of a rebuild?
Old 05-13-2024, 07:20 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
How great would it be to be able to fix bore scoring by pouring in a chemical instead of a rebuild?
It would be amazing. I nominate Kellen to be the 997 Community’s representative since he’s got the inside track.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:22 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Am I detecting some cynicism or a real desire? I am currently chasing rabbits and am finding some really cool stuff... in short, additives like MoS2, the stuff in Cera Tec and MSH are real... they do appear to lessen wear. However, I have to keep reminding myself that all these tribo-actions are occurring on a scale that require electron microscopes to observe. I suspect that any of these substances can not help something after a point... kind of like painting the walls of the grand canyon.

I sent an email to Tribotex with a few obvious questions about bore scoring and compatibility with other additives like Cera Tec.... we will see if they respond.

So, will I put this stuff in my C2S? Not yet... always a maybe... but I am actually pretty conservative .... it took almost 100K miles before I released my grip on Mobil 1.... then another bunch of miles before I poured an additive in there... LM MoS2 was my first adventure. I have an open mind but it only opens after some real science, some time has passed, and I feel there is enough of an install base that my engine won't blow up.... so Tribotex is a ways off for me if at all... butt... oh that big butt... I love reading about this stuff.

Peace
Old 05-13-2024, 07:44 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
...kind of like painting the walls of the grand canyon.
Great way to put it.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:02 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

30 years ago, I bought a Chevy Astro van for Pam. It wasn't a good purchase. There were multiple radio failures. The double idler arms seemed to wear out in minutes, causing the front tires to fail continuously. The fuel pump suffered instantaneous failures. The transmission broke, just miles out of warranty. And many other problems required multiple tows. And then the head gasket failed. Antifreeze went into the cylinders, down the walls, and into the main bearings. The motor knocked. It burned oil. The oil pressure dropped to near zero at idle once things were warm. Compression was down and varied between cylinders. In other words, the motor was shot.

I was working 100 hour weeks and didn't have time to rebuild it beyond replacing the head gasket and flushing the block. So out of humor, or desperation, I poured in a can of Motor Restore It, or something like that. Within miles, the knocking stopped. Shortly after that, the oil burning went away. Idle pressure when warm came back to where it should be. And compression returned. In other words, all evidence of damage due to the head gasket failure was gone.

Were the main bearings really fixed? Were the cylinder walls actually repaired? The van went another 20K miles before we traded it in. And the motor performed perfectly throughout.

I'm not sure if there are lessons to be learned here and carried forward or not. Maybe miracles are possible. I'm just putting this here for Bruce to muse over.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
downtroddengoat (05-13-2024), gutenfreibier (05-14-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 11:54 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
It would be amazing. I nominate Kellen to be the 997 Community’s representative since he’s got the inside track.
I texted him about this thread. He said he had a lot of positive feedback from air cooled 911 people.

Happy to send over any specific questions. Talking with him over the years he’s as genuine as they get when it comes to this stuff, but as I stated before I know nothing about it. Never used it as my 911 has no mechanical issues.
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 05:24 PM
spessx
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Not sure I'd poor that stuff in my engine. What's to keep it from plugging up oiling holes for bearings, etc. Also, a few of the issues causing scoring include, ovalized cylinders, piston coatings that are flaking off, scored pistons and finally - scored cylinders. Anywhoo - lets trick someone on the forum into trying it for us!

Quick Reply: Bore Scoring Repair? Ceramic? Tribotex - wow....