Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bore Scoring Repair? Ceramic? Tribotex - wow....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 06:23 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 949 Posts

If you’re motor is f’ed up already what’s the harm in trying something off the radar
Old 05-14-2024, 07:01 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,175 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
If you’re motor is f’ed up already what’s the harm in trying something off the radar
This!!!!!

I figured I had nothing to lose other than a couple dollars when I tried a magic elixir in that Chevy van. I expected nothing. But the stuff gave results. It's the only time I've done something like that and I hope to never need to do that again. But since that experience I don't rule out possibilities ... when there's little to lose.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:35 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 891 Posts

Update: "... reconditions scoring on the cylinder walls..."

Tribotex responded to my email... I asked specific questions about the product's ability to stick to alusil and Lokasil liners but got a cut and paste answer. This type of response is pretty typical when I contact these companies... it is what it is.

Full email from Tibotex:

Hi Bruce,
What our product does is helps reduces friction and reconditions scoring on the cylinder walls and helps with the pitting on the bearings and reconditions the seals to bring them back to a soft rubber so they don't dry and crack
Thank you for contacting us
Jacqueline

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 05-15-2024, 04:54 PM
spessx
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
This!!!!!

I figured I had nothing to lose other than a couple dollars when I tried a magic elixir in that Chevy van. I expected nothing. But the stuff gave results. It's the only time I've done something like that and I hope to never need to do that again. But since that experience I don't rule out possibilities ... when there's little to lose.
I just saw this Cayman for sale on PCA:

Porsche Club of America (pca.org)

It was previously rebuilt with Nikkies and its got bore scoring again. Someone should reach out to the owner and suggest he try it and report back.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:04 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 329 Posts

BS after Nickie’s!? Never heard of that before but sure why not? I’d be pretty upset about it though.

And “reconditions scoring…”? That’s a pretty vague statement compared to nano particles layer themselves to build up microscopic low areas…or whatever the article said.

Last edited by TerrestrialFlyte; 05-15-2024 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:28 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

This topic and the product concept is fascinating to me. I Googled the stuff and saw so much noise about snake oil I nearly fell into a rabbit hole.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:29 PM
spessx
Racer

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
BS after Nickie’s!? Never heard of that before but sure why not? I’d be pretty upset about it though.

And “reconditions scoring…”? That’s a pretty vague statement compared to nano particles layer themselves to build up microscopic low areas…or whatever the article said.
I googled it after I saw the ad on PCA and that's not the first case. LN and FSI chimed in on the other case I saw and said that the engine builder likely didn't put in new injectors, AOS/hoses and may have not cleaned the Nikkies dust out of the bores before building the engine. The motor wasn't rebuilt by LN or FSI - just the cylinders were replaced.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:11 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Hootsama
This topic and the product concept is fascinating to me. I Googled the stuff and saw so much noise about snake oil I nearly fell into a rabbit hole.
Yeah, I bet. It is interesting, no question. And maybe at some point it’ll be a real option, but I have my doubts right now. I am ABSOLUTELY not an expert so I’m just blowing hot air, BTW. Just my $0.02. I’d be happy to be wrong though.

Originally Posted by spessx
I googled it after I saw the ad on PCA and that's not the first case. LN and FSI chimed in on the other case I saw and said that the engine builder likely didn't put in new injectors, AOS/hoses and may have not cleaned the Nikkies dust out of the bores before building the engine. The motor wasn't rebuilt by LN or FSI - just the cylinders were replaced.
Yeah, I can imagine. Yeah, I’m of the mindset to replace that stuff. Why risk your $30K engine rebuild on a few hundred dollars in parts? Injectors? AOS? Sure it’ll add up but man…not to the tune of another $30K.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:31 PM
spessx
Racer

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
Yeah, I bet. It is interesting, no question. And maybe at some point it’ll be a real option, but I have my doubts right now. I am ABSOLUTELY not an expert so I’m just blowing hot air, BTW. Just my $0.02. I’d be happy to be wrong though.

Yeah, I can imagine. Yeah, I’m of the mindset to replace that stuff. Why risk your $30K engine rebuild on a few hundred dollars in parts? Injectors? AOS? Sure it’ll add up but man…not to the tune of another $30K.
Maybe the concept of this stuff is like that of head gasket sealer (which appears to work on cracked heads, btw).
Old 05-16-2024, 01:56 PM
idsteve
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to throw a wrench into this but what about what this gentleman has to say about oils and additives?
Old 05-16-2024, 03:17 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by idsteve
Not to throw a wrench into this but what about what this gentleman has to say about oils and additives?
Good share, thanks. I skimmed through and took away this TL;DR re: oil additives "...chemical Russian Roulette..."
Old 05-17-2024, 09:42 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by spessx
NIkasil doesn't score, but it certainly can streak and often does, but it often clears up after the rings have seated:

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/...id=5xOk5abBme4

Often we get customers who scope their bores and find streaking and freak out, even without any symptoms or reason to do so.

We provide very explicit instructions with regards to cleaning and what needs to be replaced and unfortunately, we see many instances where these guidelines are not followed. This results in less than satisfactory results.

Here is a link to all the documents we provide when sleeving an M96 block:

https://lnengineering.com/education/...brary/m96.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
jchapura (05-17-2024), TerrestrialFlyte (05-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Bore Scoring Repair? Ceramic? Tribotex - wow....