Function First engine mounts and Orange transmission insert

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 09:11 AM
michaelmoo22
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Function First engine mounts and Orange transmission insert

My Car: 2009 997.2 Cab, 80k miles, manual

After noticing the spacing between my bumper and exhaust tips (you could stick a fist between the two, ok that might be a slight exaggeration), then reading endless posts here, I ordered the Function First engine mounts and Transmission Insert.

Yesterday I did the 80k service and thought, I might as well do these also.
Install. Engine Mounts are super easy. Mine were shot. When my old ones were out, you could stir the bolt like you were mixing concrete. New ones I couldn't budge.

Transmission insert...
So the Insert. I went with Orange (softest). A few things you may want to know. A lift would make it 10 times easier. But you can do it with jack stands. I don't have QuickJacks (but I do want them, so I'm adding this info in), but I think they might be in the way of removing the undertray. I used my Lift Bars to get the car as high as could and still feel safe. Plus having two jacks, one to support the transmission and the other as a secondary safety while under the car.
The instructions are pretty spot on with the exception he calls out the bolt being 15mm. Its not. Well at least not on my car. You'll need a E20 and E24 socket. And naturally my set stopped at E20... So a trip to Home Depot I got an E24. Once everything was removed I inspected my mount to make sure it was in good condition. It was. So with a little soap, the insert slide in. Well about 75% in. So I cut some scrap wood in two pieces, drilled a hole in it and then pressed it all the way in. Its tight. It did push back out maybe a 1/16 of an inch. Press again and same thing. So, since it would press 100% in, I installed the brace and carrier and bolted it all back up. Torqued everything down.

Once the car was buttoned up and back on the ground, a test drive. Whoa! What a difference. The shifts were more solid and crisp. I guess I go use to the engine moving around when cornering, but now the back is planted. I'm blown away by the improvement.

I know everyone is concerned with NVH. It's very very slight. Based on what I've read, it will break in and reduce in a 100 miles or so. But even if it doesn't, it's so slight. I don't have mirror shaking or passenger seat shaking. Both issues I've read on here. But they might have gone with the yellow or black insert. Mine is just slightly more than stock. Nothing to fear over.

Now would would new Factory/OEM mounts done the same thing? Probably. But we are all over improvers...

And speaking on improving... now I want to try his Shift Right and his new shift cables

Hope this helps someone,
M
The following 2 users liked this post by michaelmoo22:
jchapura (04-28-2024), myltz400 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 12:41 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Spray a bit of silicone on the contact surfaces next time. Installation is much easier. I've done several of these for friends at this point. Some are simple. Some, not so much.
The following users liked this post:
jchapura (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 03:15 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts

The First Function engine mounts continue to improve to about 1,000 miles, I think they are great
Old 04-29-2024, 09:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,455 Likes on 4,115 Posts

I used a silicone grease when installing my trans mount inserts - went right in. The other things these do for you is prolong the life of the OEM mount which is a bigger job to replace and will probably never need to be with the FF mounts helping to support them by filling the gaps. Also, my gian side pieces on my OEM mounts were completely gone so these add both lateral and rotational stability.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:24 AM
michaelmoo22
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I used a silicone grease when installing my trans mount inserts - went right in. The other things these do for you is prolong the life of the OEM mount which is a bigger job to replace and will probably never need to be with the FF mounts helping to support them by filling the gaps. Also, my gian side pieces on my OEM mounts were completely gone so these add both lateral and rotational stability.
I wish I had used silicone. FF instructions said soap, so I tried that. If I ever do it again, I'll use silicone.

And I should have said that also. Those side pieces on mine were like dust when I touched them.

Quick Reply: Function First engine mounts and Orange transmission insert