Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to sell my 997.2 PDK? Not BaT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 08:20 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts

I would not use Craigslist, unless you want endless people taking your car to "test" it, and answering a thousand "is it still for sale" inquires that lead nowhere.

you can scan auto tempest to get an idea of the different sites asking price.

The following 2 users liked this post by voiceprint1:
ATX_Native (04-29-2024), eggsandwich (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 09:52 PM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 45 Posts

OK I've listed w BaT. Thanks everyone. I have to wait now.
In the meantime I have one last Porsche service visit next week. So the car will have a Porsche certified clean bill of health!
The following 2 users liked this post by eggsandwich:
FunWithFiorio (05-01-2024), Ironman88 (04-24-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 09:42 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

I’m not in any rush, but sometime in the next few years I will likely sell my 1985 911, and I’m curious as to the best way to close the deal with a remote purchaser. I’ve sold low end cars over the years, just advertise locally and the buyer shows up at the notary with the credit union check and I sign the title. I’m not even sure I would completely trust a certified check anymore, so I’m guessing that I would want money wired to my bank before I turned over the title, but putting myself in the buyer’s shoes, I wouldn’t want to wire money without guaranteed access to the title.

Are there settlement services available for automobiles? Would a dealer handle the transaction for a fee? Mike
Old 04-29-2024, 04:56 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you hadn't already listed on BaT, I'd have suggested AutoTrader. I found my 997.2 on it although I ended up purchasing directly months later. I also just found its replacement, a 991.1 on AutoTrader and conducted the transaction through AT. The transaction was pretty painless both from my (buyer) point of view and the seller's (he told me just how easy it was for him).

For mk85911, AT provided an escrow service so I could send funds (ACH, wire, and/or credit card although credit card is limited to $25K and they will charge appropriate fees for using a credit card) and they'd confirm receipt to the seller but not release to him until they got his paperwork confirming the sale (bill of sale, title, invoice). As a buyer, they sent me a temporary tags as a PDF so I was able to fly in, meet the seller, take possession, and drive it home. I think AT's services cost me (buyer) an extra $199. You'd have to check AT's terms and conditions for sellers to find out what kind of commission they charge the seller for their services -- all I know is the seller for my 991.1 was very happy with the whole process.

I think BaT provides similar services but their fee would have been a not-insubstantial percentage of the winning bid (had I won).
The following users liked this post:
eggsandwich (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 05:18 PM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
If you hadn't already listed on BaT, I'd have suggested AutoTrader. I found my 997.2 on it although I ended up purchasing directly months later. I also just found its replacement, a 991.1 on AutoTrader and conducted the transaction through AT. The transaction was pretty painless both from my (buyer) point of view and the seller's (he told me just how easy it was for him).

For mk85911, AT provided an escrow service so I could send funds (ACH, wire, and/or credit card although credit card is limited to $25K and they will charge appropriate fees for using a credit card) and they'd confirm receipt to the seller but not release to him until they got his paperwork confirming the sale (bill of sale, title, invoice). As a buyer, they sent me a temporary tags as a PDF so I was able to fly in, meet the seller, take possession, and drive it home. I think AT's services cost me (buyer) an extra $199. You'd have to check AT's terms and conditions for sellers to find out what kind of commission they charge the seller for their services -- all I know is the seller for my 991.1 was very happy with the whole process.

I think BaT provides similar services but their fee would have been a not-insubstantial percentage of the winning bid (had I won).
Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like they do have some good services. I"m thinking for Porsche's in particular there's a lot of eyeballs on BaT versus the alternatives. Yes their fees are high but all auction sites have fees like that. I don't know, let's see! I might regret it!
FunWithFiorio (05-01-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 05:21 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts

where did you see that service on autotrader? seems like a good idea to use a escrow service or similar, but that part of selling always seems murky to me.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:23 PM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
where did you see that service on autotrader? seems like a good idea to use a escrow service or similar, but that part of selling always seems murky to me.
Yes, one day I realised that these aauction sites literally just connect a buyer and seller and the rest is up to us to sort out...e.g. payment, delivery, paperwork, etc...what a nice business model. Provide the platform, take the fees and move on...
Old 04-30-2024, 08:27 PM
Siberian14
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eggsandwich
Yes, one day I realised that these aauction sites literally just connect a buyer and seller and the rest is up to us to sort out...e.g. payment, delivery, paperwork, etc...what a nice business model. Provide the platform, take the fees and move on...
Or, in "connect a buyer and seller". you could list it on BaT with a high reserve price. If Reserve Not Met, then BaT connects the buyer & seller. At lest that what they have said/printer to me. As such, then you have a willing buyer, (probably) zero BaT fees, and you work out the details. At that point, you are talking to a "real buyer" and you can make arrangements needed.

In another way, contact a few PCA region presidents, ask for referrals, etc. or contact ~well-known-respected RennList members for references and possible leads. I have been looking for a particular 911 and an off-hand referral-lead (don't know what to call it) has me looking at a totally different 911 generation, while getting all sorts of info about my original choices. Ya never know what can happen when you have feelers out here and there, buy or sell.

YMMV
eggsandwich (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 02:50 AM
FunWithFiorio
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my ‘09 997.2 C4 cab on BaT almost 3 years ago. On my cellphone!

I was “ that” buyer looking for something specific for 2 years. I followed hundred of auctions until I zeroed in on the exact model and spec I wanted. In the process I learned a lot from the BaT comment sections.

My seller was a PCA member, extremely knowledgeable about the car and Porsche in general. He could not have been more engaged during the auction or nicer post auction. He called me the same afternoon to congratulate me and talk about the car. As this was my first 911, he was more than happy to offer suggestions and shared his maintenance routine. We easily worked out the payment details/ title transfer. I could not have been luckier.

I used BaT shipping and the car was delivered within 4 days of the auction close from halfway across the country. Really a seamless and painless transaction other than my own nerves and realization that I’d done the most insane thing ever and wired a stranger $67k for a car I’d never driven and wasn’t sure I could even get out of while recovering from 2 knee replacements in 3 months. But it was serendipity- not the pain meds-and I have been smiling ever since. Now I do squats at the gym so I can clean my wheels. And I couldn’t be happier.

Your positive ownership experience and enthusiasm for your car comes across in your posts and should help you. The car is beautiful and in fantastic condition. Buyers love seller engagement and tire kickers love to call out sellers who are non-responsive or who can’t document maintenance and upgrades. Upfront story about your experience with the car and what mods you did as soon as ithe auction goes live also engages potential buyers.

Good luck with your sale and hope for an equally enthusiastic buyer and a good closing date!!
The following 2 users liked this post by FunWithFiorio:
Graufuchs (05-01-2024), Hootsama (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 04:53 AM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the encouragement "FunWithFiorio". Love that reference to the Florio Targa...IFKYK!

Yes I plan to be super present since BaT auction trollers are 24/7! I've recorded drive, interior, startup and walkaround videos now.

My Rennlist ad is here: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1407629

If anyone on Rennlist or on PCA wants to know more and is serious I now have over 300 photos including all service records plus my personal photos and notes and receipts.

BaT is busy...they said they'd get back in 3 days but it's been 4. Must be patient!
This will be the first time my new car will be here before my old one is sold.

Last edited by eggsandwich; 05-01-2024 at 07:05 PM.
FunWithFiorio (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 11:50 AM
FunWithFiorio
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Hahahaha - Been studying Italian for a a year + so I can drive the Targa Florio one day.
Probably need to spend even more time refreshing my manual skills!

Sounds like you're more than ready. I love the trolls. They always ask the questions I want answered but won't ask if I have no intention of bidding. I'm sure you'll do really well. If you have any say in the auction closing date, I'd venture to guess that 5/12 might not be the best day to close unless someone's buying a VERY nice present for a mom!

Good luck with the new car too! So exciting to get a new one. I'm getting sport chrono installed tomorrow so I will have launch control for autocross. Will probably feel like a completely different car driving in sport mode too!!!
Old 05-01-2024, 12:51 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by mk85911
I’m not in any rush, but sometime in the next few years I will likely sell my 1985 911, and I’m curious as to the best way to close the deal with a remote purchaser. I’ve sold low end cars over the years, just advertise locally and the buyer shows up at the notary with the credit union check and I sign the title. I’m not even sure I would completely trust a certified check anymore, so I’m guessing that I would want money wired to my bank before I turned over the title, but putting myself in the buyer’s shoes, I wouldn’t want to wire money without guaranteed access to the title.
Are there settlement services available for automobiles? Would a dealer handle the transaction for a fee? Mike
Has your '85 911 carrera's engine had a top end to cure the poor valve seat/oil consumption issues with that particular engine? Is the car silver w/black int.? No salt roads oxidation?
I'd buy it if those boxes are checked

Last edited by groovzilla; 05-01-2024 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:52 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 416 Posts

How long was the wait to get onto BaT?
Old 05-01-2024, 07:03 PM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

First added photos and filled in their forms for their review on 21st April...so it's been about 8 working days.

Under "STATUS" it says, "BaT is reviewing your submission. You should hear back within 3 days."

!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2024, 07:07 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by eggsandwich
First added photos and filled in their forms for their review on 21st April...so it's been about 8 working days.

Under "STATUS" it says, "BaT is reviewing your submission. You should hear back within 3 days."

!!!!!!

A few years ago it was 4-6 months wait but not sure these days.

Might be listing my car there if it’s not a huge wait and my car doesn’t get any traction on PCA Mart or here.

Quick Reply: Best place to sell my 997.2 PDK? Not BaT?