Sponsored by:

help finding bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 01:14 PM
billzorn
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default help finding bolt?

managed to shear a bolt for the catalytic converter to manifold flange. i guess i have to drill out the bolt head which appears fixed to the flange? is there a specific replacement bolt? i'm attaching an image of the flange. (i know, i removed these by mistake......)

i'm replacing my spark plugs. not that hard, and only 3 days so far!!! i'm not the fastest.

Old 03-30-2024, 02:44 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 249 Posts

The parts manual shows that as an M8x30 bolt, you should be able to find that (and a matching washer and nut) at your local auto parts store or hardware store. Make sure to get class 8.8 or 10.9 parts, not the cheap unlabeled stuff in the big bins.

What you have there, however, looks like a stud and not a bolt. In that case you shouldn't need to drill it out, you can punch it out with a hammer. Easier out of the car, but if you have a buddy you can try having them brace around the head with a large socket or something (with some sort of big weight behind it to get momentum on your side) and then use a punch and hammer on the shaft to knock it out. Worst case, yeah, you can drill it, but that's hardened steel and will take a LONG time so I wouldn't recommend that. If you can take it out of the car, knocking out the stud should be a lot easier.

I'm not sure why the parts manual shows a hex bolt there; I'm guessing it's because if you damage the stud you're supposed to just bang it out and replace with a normal bolt. Do bear in mind that I haven't done this particular job on a 9x7 car yet so I could be wrong on the above, but that's what it looks like to me.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:10 PM
Dr.H
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Screw on right is m8x35

Heat + hammer is what I used to remove.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (03-31-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 05:50 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 197K miles

Those studs are pressed in... mine came out with a hard wack to a punch. Shot across the garage. You should not have to drill.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (03-31-2024)

Quick Reply: help finding bolt?