Sponsored by:

Uneven lowering? Bilsteins + Eibachs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 01:01 AM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
i was thinking that wheels and tire sizes might add some variation but one thing I do not like about eibach springs is that they have a rake. From my memory, it mimics the stock height but I would rather level (i.e. lower back, higher front in this case).
I can post side by sides of my car in the same spot before (with OEM GT3 coilovers) and after (B12 Kit). I can also post OEM, Eibachs with stock shocks, and the other two mentioned if desired but to anyone who isn's insane such as myself, I think it is fairly relative once the car is lowered.
That would be great to see! We can all learn from your experience.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:49 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

sorry the pics are not perfect but it is all the same parking spot/lighting.

OEM C2S.

OEM C2S with Eibach Springs and 15mm spacers all around.

OEM GT3 Coilovers with 5mm spacers all around.

Bilstein B12 with 5mm spacers all around.

1. OEM is too high.
2. Eibachs with stock shocks (I guess B4?) are still too high especially in the rear.
3. OEM GT3 coilovers are whatever height you want but are harsh and make too much noise IMO.
4. Bilstein B12 have the same rake as 2 above and are probably the same springs but with the B8 shocks on the B12 kit, you have a shorter B8 piston. You lose a little performance for the added comfort and quiet. These ride as smooth as stock or close and are SILENT. I am going to add the DSC before April.

The following 2 users liked this post by jamesinger:
M3Cavalry (07-06-2024), misterdega (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 06:01 PM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks so much for sharing!

Really cool to have this comparison - the GT3 shocks make the stance look lower and even...shame it's a harder ride but I guess if you're going "GT3" that's what you're in for.

The rake on the OEM and Bilsteins looks clear in these photos. For me I'm ok with it.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:25 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, the GT3 coilovers are great and you can set the stance how you want. This is how the stance is when the alignment and corner balance is done. If you are ok with the noise and the harshness, or if you just do not drive except for pleasure or tracking, this is the clear option (i.e. B16 or similar...) but as I mentioned on other threads, my use changed A LOT since 1/2018 and I now do a few 1k loops to my mom's and back a year. I also drive this car to work (50 mile LA traffic round trip) because I rarely feel like driving our Bolt EV. That is more my wife's car. All this is super subjective. It is hard to quantify. I think it is best to take in as much data as you can and then see what is for you based on that.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:54 AM
nydog
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by eggsandwich
This is mine now...I think the front driver's side is slightly lower by about 0.5 to 1 cm.
I remember from my Toyota FJ cruiser days, the driver's side used to sag slightly more than the passenger side because of the unequal distribution of weight from the fuel tank.
Not sure if that's a thing w our cars?

Much better. I'm glad you this sorted out.
The following users liked this post:
eggsandwich (03-25-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 11:02 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

For a 997.1, the DSC makes a HUUUUGE difference. I just want ot add that here because I drove my car with it for the first time today with DSC, it was insane at slower/traffic speeds with the RUINED roads we have right now in LA after all these rains. I know you all have worse roads but ours really were not designed for rain, so it isn't just megawhomper potholes but just straight up broken roads turning into 1800s broken cobblestones or something. The 3 axis dsc upgrade from the 2 axis damptronic is a big big upgrade.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:10 AM
carguy999
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 72 Posts

Hey @eggsandwich after adjusting the tab, did your car settle more?
Old 06-04-2024, 08:23 AM
F1 Kevin M
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m glad this thread is here, I’m in the middle of a B12 install (inspired by jamesingers recent post).

so far the install is going pretty well. If you study up and take your time, it’s not intimidating.

i also have both the 3mm and 6.5mm spring pads. I think I’m going with the 6.5mm.

after I put the suspension back together and get it settled and aligned, I get to put my shiny new BBS LMs on it!
The following users liked this post:
jamesinger (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 04:56 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by carguy999
Hey @eggsandwich after adjusting the tab, did your car settle more?
I know this is @eggsandwich but just for the record, here is mine yesterday after about 2k miles on this suspension (B12)

harsh direct sunlight

sun overhead but behind me, so just direct on to the car.

If I knew what I know now, I'd have tried the 3mm pads in the rear and the 6mm pads up front.
Looks so close to the GT3 suspension, only one close friend noticed and he is MORE suspension obsessed than me.
Drives better than any other setup with the DSC, it is just bonkers good, even over speed bumps.

Last edited by jamesinger; 06-04-2024 at 04:58 PM. Reason: addendumzz

Quick Reply: Uneven lowering? Bilsteins + Eibachs