Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken water pump holder - belt tensioner…

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 08:54 PM
LoneTree
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken water pump holder - belt tensioner…

I was changing out my serpentine belt yesterday. The new belt was very tight and I applied as much pressure as possible on the belt tensioner to create as much slack as possible. I heard a snap and then found the bottom bolt and sleeve had broken off of what I am assuming is the water pump holder. I had not seen this type of failure before and wanted to share it.

Last edited by LoneTree; 02-27-2024 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Add model in for
Old 02-27-2024, 08:57 PM
LoneTree
6th Gear

Default Car info…

Forgot to mention… 997.2 4S with 64,000 miles
Old 02-28-2024, 09:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,705 Likes on 4,262 Posts

Crap, how do you fix that with the tension it's under from the belt tensioner?
Old 02-28-2024, 09:49 AM
LoneTree
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Petza914
Crap, how do you fix that with the tension it's under from the belt tensioner?
I will find out more today from my mechanic. I am assuming I will need to replace the entire water pump housing plate. From the diagrams I have seen, this is the platform to which both the belt tensioner and water pump are bolted. This will require removing the water pump, replacing the coolant, et al. I can’t imagine this is going to be cheap…

Last edited by LoneTree; 02-28-2024 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-28-2024, 10:40 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 979 Posts

2009 C2S 196K miles

I replaced my belt more than a few times... never had a problem. The first time I did the belt, it was really tough... I thought I had the wrong belt as it would not fit. As it turns out, you have to have the belt fully seated around the whole circuit and it will then slip perfectly over the tensioner roller (this has no lip). It goes on just perfectly with virtually no slack... but it goes on very easily... but you have to get the belt aligned and seated perfectly.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 02-28-2024, 10:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,705 Likes on 4,262 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneTree
I will find out more today from my mechanic. I am assuming I will need to replace the entire water pump housing plate. From the diagrams I have seen, this is the platform to which both the belt tensioner and water pump are bolted. This will require removing the water pump, replacing the coolant, et al. I can’t imagine this is going to be cheap…
Well, that's not as bad as I thought - at least it's a separate component and not a boss machined on the block itself that snapped off.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:17 AM
spessx
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

I replaced it on my 997.1 and the belts available at my local autoparts store are sized wrong. I ended up buying one from the Porsche dealer and it went right on with no issues. What was also surprising is that the belt from the Porsche dealer was only $20. The one at the auto parts store was like double that. Indeed we are living in some crazy times.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:26 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spessx
I replaced it on my 997.1 and the belts available at my local autoparts store are sized wrong. I ended up buying one from the Porsche dealer and it went right on with no issues. What was also surprising is that the belt from the Porsche dealer was only $20. The one at the auto parts store was like double that. Indeed we are living in some crazy times.
Nuts! BTW, I purchase OEM belts from various places like FCP, Amazon, Pelican, et al... None looked the same. Some were thin, others were thick. IIRC, the thickest, most sturdy-looking was a Conti belt (Continental). None broke nor freyed.

Peace
Old 02-28-2024, 11:49 AM
spessx
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Nuts! BTW, I purchase OEM belts from various places like FCP, Amazon, Pelican, et al... None looked the same. Some were thin, others were thick. IIRC, the thickest, most sturdy-looking was a Conti belt (Continental). None broke nor freyed.

Peace
The first time I put the belt back on my car I pushed it on too far and the belt rubbed and freyed. Smoke went everywhere and rubber and steel strands started dropping below the car. It was pretty exciting there for 45 seconds or so before I turned the car off.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spessx
The first time I put the belt back on my car I pushed it on too far and the belt rubbed and freyed. Smoke went everywhere and rubber and steel strands started dropping below the car. It was pretty exciting there for 45 seconds or so before I turned the car off.
Yikes! I would have thought it would self align. Wow.

Peace
Old 02-28-2024, 08:49 PM
LoneTree
6th Gear

Well... got the price for repair from my independent mechanic. To replace the water pump/coolant housing, replace all the related o-rings, clamps, the thermostat and replace the coolant is a total cost of $3,281 (with tax it will be $3,500). Good thing I really love this car.

Last edited by LoneTree; 02-28-2024 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:30 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Well... got the price for repair from my independent mechanic. To replace the water pump/coolant housing, replace all the related o-rings, clamps, the thermostat and replace the coolant is a total cost of $3,281 (with tax it will be $3,500). Good thing I really love this car.
Dude, do it yourself... it is not that hard. I replaced my waterpump... here is my DIY. You will have everything exposed... this is not that big of a deal.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post17242889

That should be just one part required. Parts catalog with diagrams here: https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...artscatalogue/

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-28-2024 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:41 PM
LoneTree
6th Gear

Bruce - thanks for the encouragement and the link. Using your instructions and a video I found online, I replaced the water pump myself a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to do it myself this go around.

Thanks again for your contributions to this forum. Your work has saved me a great deal of time and effort.

Quick Reply: Broken water pump holder - belt tensioner…