Sponsored by:

New Question...Stone Guards

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 05:08 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
IMO whether you replace them or not you should keep the stone guards Clear - Not Black.
The black chops up the nice design of the flared rear fender.
My opinion.

Yes...I 100% agree..so I hope the CC survives. Or if not can be repaired.
The following 2 users liked this post by TommyV44:
groovzilla (02-15-2024), Ironman88 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 08:22 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 733 Likes on 460 Posts

I would be happy with the cleaned version, How did he do that?
Old 02-16-2024, 07:21 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by yelcab
I would be happy with the cleaned version, How did he do that?
Thank you my friend! He used Turtle wax polish and some kind of tire dressing...it was like magic LOL! All the dirt came off!

Tom
Old 02-16-2024, 07:56 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 148 Posts

Better yet, remove the stone guards entirely and have the area PPF'd instead. The current PPF on the market doesn't really yellow and whatever archaic film Porsche uses for their stone guards yellows in no time.

Will last longer and look better.
Old 02-17-2024, 02:50 AM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

I removed the stone guards from my '09 after more than 10 years on the car with a steamer and the stretch method. They both came off in like 45 min total. The trick is to pull the film so it stretches like one of those wall commander wall hooks. Use steam for heat so you don't damage the paint. It takes effort because you have to pull constantly but not too hard. You have to let it slowly release. Its a slow burn... your arms will be beggin for a break, but it works great. Granted mine was a CA car its whole life so they were not cracked or brittle.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:39 AM
amomentofparty
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, I recently got matte black magnetic stone guards for my C4S. Think they're pretty great. Easy to wipe down, you can remove them when cleaning the car.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:08 AM
roccocaiazza
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy a cheap steamer used for steaming clothes. Works great for removal. Just be patient and let the steamer do the work. They come off rather easily. Buy replacements (Suncoast Porsche) and you will really notice the difference. Your present chip guards have yellowed. There is a helpful video on YouTube.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:48 AM
THE Z MAN
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

My driver side which was newer came off with steam very easily.
the passenger side was heavily cracked and hazed. Took a very long time, even with a steamer. Had to scrape off the ppf. It was probably the ordinal stone guard. No paint came up, but I did clip the bottom rocker paint with my scrapper(plastic pry tool) 😞.
New ones look amazing though.

I used the xpel brand because of the 10yr warranty against cracks and yellowing. It's shape is slightly different and bigger than oem.
Moral of the story, change every 5-7yrs, you don't want it fusing to your paint.
good luck!
Old 02-20-2024, 11:03 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by THE Z MAN
My driver side which was newer came off with steam very easily.
the passenger side was heavily cracked and hazed. Took a very long time, even with a steamer. Had to scrape off the ppf. It was probably the ordinal stone guard. No paint came up, but I did clip the bottom rocker paint with my scrapper(plastic pry tool) 😞.
New ones look amazing though.

I used the xpel brand because of the 10yr warranty against cracks and yellowing. It's shape is slightly different and bigger than oem.
Moral of the story, change every 5-7yrs, you don't want it fusing to your paint.
good luck!
Thank you my friend! The one that was dirty had many cracks so I think that's gonna be a bear...I'm not sure I just won't leave it since I really don't want black guards. My drivers side is still pristeen but now that the passenger side is cleaned it looks way better and the guy that cleaned it thinks he can improve it too...anyway we'll see...I know I would be in the situation you describe with the passenger side...doubtless!
Old 02-20-2024, 01:31 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,966 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Thank you my friend! The one that was dirty had many cracks so I think that's gonna be a bear...I'm not sure I just won't leave it since I really don't want black guards. My drivers side is still pristeen but now that the passenger side is cleaned it looks way better and the guy that cleaned it thinks he can improve it too...anyway we'll see...I know I would be in the situation you describe with the passenger side...doubtless!
Problem with the original clear guards is they can also get yellowed over time. And the slight cracking as well. Also may be a slight mismatch in paint from sun/UY exposure after clears are removed.
Keep us posted.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:31 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Problem with the original clear guards is they can also get yellowed over time. And the slight cracking as well. Also may be a slight mismatch in paint from sun/UY exposure after clears are removed.
Keep us posted.
Will do my friend!

Quick Reply: New Question...Stone Guards