Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Tubi mufflers WITHOUT center bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024 | 12:51 PM
Pman09
Cruisin'

Default 997.2 Tubi mufflers WITHOUT center bypass

I've been searching around a bit and haven't seen anyone who runs Tubi side mufflers with the OEM center muffler on a .2 C2S. I have the opportunity to purchase the side cans at a decent price, but it doesn't include the center bypass. My thought is to try them with the stock center muffler (granted it all fits). If I decide I want more volume then I'll look into adding an X Pipe/Crossover.

Has anyone done this before? How did it sound vs. stock? I'm assuming I'd still notice a nice difference in tone and volume over the stock mufflers. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Old 01-23-2024 | 12:07 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pman09
I've been searching around a bit and haven't seen anyone who runs Tubi side mufflers with the OEM center muffler on a .2 C2S. I have the opportunity to purchase the side cans at a decent price, but it doesn't include the center bypass. My thought is to try them with the stock center muffler (granted it all fits). If I decide I want more volume then I'll look into adding an X Pipe/Crossover.

Has anyone done this before? How did it sound vs. stock? I'm assuming I'd still notice a nice difference in tone and volume over the stock mufflers. Any feedback would be appreciated!
I had Tubi (side) mufflers on my 2009 C2S. Running them with the stock center muffler produced a sound that was too subdued for me.

I replaced the stock center muffler with a Sharkwerks bypass. With that change - it was fantastic.

Old 01-23-2024 | 05:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I had Tubi (side) mufflers on my 2009 C2S. Running them with the stock center muffler produced a sound that was too subdued for me.

I replaced the stock center muffler with a Sharkwerks bypass. With that change - it was fantastic
Never had that configuration but had the full Tubi system including the bypass pipes on my -09 C4S and it was glorious. I think the bottom line is that the center muffler on the 997.2's is so restrictive it just kills the exhaust note no matter what side mufflers you put on it.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024 | 10:03 AM
Pman09
Cruisin'

This is the feedback I was pretty much expecting, but wasn't 100% sure. I appreciate the info from both of you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pman09:
Ironman88 (01-23-2024), sandwedge (01-24-2024)
Old 01-27-2024 | 03:01 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

actually I disagree....
I had Tubi side mufflers (on a 997.2) with the stock center exhaust.
Sounded great.
Then I replaced the center exhaust with a x pipe bypass. Yes it sounded better, but it was just too loud, i'm not 19 anymore....
So I sold the x-pipe and put the center exhaust back on.
Then someone made me "an offer I couldn't refuse" for the Tubis and I sold them to him.
After that I did the "Gundo hack", thinking it will "sound about the same". Man! I should have kept these Tubis......
The following users liked this post:
Pman09 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-28-2024 | 04:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
actually I disagree....
I had Tubi side mufflers (on a 997.2) with the stock center exhaust.
Sounded great.
Then I replaced the center exhaust with a x pipe bypass. Yes it sounded better, but it was just too loud, i'm not 19 anymore....
So I sold the x-pipe and put the center exhaust back on.
Then someone made me "an offer I couldn't refuse" for the Tubis and I sold them to him.
After that I did the "Gundo hack", thinking it will "sound about the same". Man! I should have kept these Tubis......
Yes you should have. I don't know how you managed to source just the .2 side mufflers without the x-pipes since the .2 Tubi is sold as a package with the sides and the x-pipes. Either way, one great thing about the Tubi (both the .1 and the .2 version is that they're almost stock quiet up to about 3K rpm. Past that, they wake up big time but not in an obnoxious way imo.
Old 01-29-2024 | 04:31 AM
smrpr
Racer

Speaking of Tubi (and apologies for hijacking the thread a bit): you all got me interested in them as it is a brand I had not heard of before, and I really liked the sound in this video:

I plan on refreshing the whole exhaust system, and I wonder if that sound is achieved changing only the mufflers. Since I want to install 200 cell cats and new headers, I'm afraid it would be a bit too much since it is not a valved system.

Also, for the 997.1, they only sell the mufflers, right? No headers, no x-pipe: https://catalogue.tubistyle.it/porsc...flers-kit.html
Old 01-29-2024 | 11:04 AM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Champion sells Tubi Style Headers. I have no complaints!
https://www.championmotorsport.com/p...i-997s-man.htm
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 01-29-2024 | 11:43 AM
Pman09
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Yes you should have. I don't know how you managed to source just the .2 side mufflers without the x-pipes since the .2 Tubi is sold as a package with the sides and the x-pipes. Either way, one great thing about the Tubi (both the .1 and the .2 version is that they're almost stock quiet up to about 3K rpm. Past that, they wake up big time but not in an obnoxious way imo.
You can purchase the side mufflers only from several places, Design911 & Eurospares to name a couple.

Last edited by Pman09; 01-29-2024 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Tubi mufflers WITHOUT center bypass