Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023 | 04:44 PM
Dr.J
Instructor

Default Windshields

Greetings. I have an 06 C2S, with a windscreen I’d like to replace (find the road rash annoying). Last I checked, the original was a $1,000 cnd just for the glass and that was before covid. Speedy Auto Glass has their own substitute and it’s $619 cnd, installed. I comes with all the same features and tinted, also, as the original. So, my question is, what will I be giving up if I go with the Speedy version? And, does it matter if it’s not the original?

Any and all thoughts appreciated,

Thanks,

John
Old 04-08-2023 | 05:08 PM
othertbone
Pro

I'd keep it original, especially for only a few hundred dollars more

Old 04-08-2023 | 05:16 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

If you want to save money, I'd at least go with the OEM, Saint Gobain Sekurit. The Genuine (with the Porsche logo) made by the same company will be the most expensive. The version you're talking about may be fine, but it may have more distortions in it. Nothing wrong with whatever direction you go, but for something you may only replace one time in your ownership, I'd rather pay a bit more and get what I know to be a quality part.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (04-09-2023)
Old 04-08-2023 | 06:10 PM
Dr.J
Instructor

Bxstr, are you saying that a company called Saint Gobain Sekurit make the OEM windshields for Porsche? If so, can I buy directly from them? Thanks for this.
tegraphile (04-12-2023)
Old 04-09-2023 | 08:10 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Just be aware that the installation of the wind screen on our 911s is not straightforward.

search here and you will see some really scary stories. If you get it replaced, make sure you use someone who knows what they are doing. This is not a run of the mill job.
T Silnner (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023 | 08:32 AM
Dr.J
Instructor

Yes, I realize this and have someone with experience, thanks.
8KaboveMSL (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023 | 08:38 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

There are countless options when it comes to replacement auto glass ... I would at the very least use an outfit that specializes in German car window replacement and ask them what brands they carry. My glass guy carries about 8 different brands based on cost and quality including four OEM equivalents two of which are made by the same OEM as the original. Just make sure you are clear with your glass guy as to what you want and the glass you will receive. My glass guy is mobile so I always get to see the glass prior to installation not to mention a good glass guy can do a windshield properly in less than an hour. Because of the business I am in I use glass installers all the time and some installers will also try to cheap out by not using 3m adhesive because it's much cheaper and this can significantly affect the quality of the install.
Old 04-09-2023 | 08:44 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.J
Bxstr, are you saying that a company called Saint Gobain Sekurit make the OEM windshields for Porsche? If so, can I buy directly from them? Thanks for this.
Correct regarding who it's made by, here's a pic of the glass on my 997 GT3. It has the Porsche Logo and also says Saint Gobain Sekurit. Just like a radiator may be made by Behr (not sure if that is true on the 997) and other components could be made by Bilstein, Bosch, etc.

I don't think you as the consumer can buy directly from them, but a glass shop can that has an account with them or a distributor that sells the glass.

My recommendation though would be to spend less than the Genuine (with the Porsche logo), but more than the brand you originally mentioned. The brand you're talking about is an aftermarket part that is probably not made to the same standard as the OEM glass.

Old 04-09-2023 | 10:19 AM
Dr.J
Instructor

Thank you, RR1 and Bxstr, very much appreciated. I’m glad I posted here, would have been operating in the dark. The fellow that runs the glass shop nearby is very fussy and well experienced, will have a good talk with him, start there. Again, thank you both!
mike cap (01-30-2024)
Old 04-09-2023 | 10:26 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 188K miles

I have very poor experience with non-original/OEM glass. The biggest issue is a wavy field of view... wow, is that irritating. By law, the glass will be safe... but quality is another issue. I will never install glass that is not original. Further, I will only use a dealer to do the installation as again, I've had poor installation work done by Safelite... a few times. Even had an issue with a dealer install, but they made it right, and with OEM glass. These lessons I've learned a few times over.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 04-09-2023 | 04:38 PM
T Silnner
Intermediate

Yes, pop for OE or the manufacture of the OE. I would not let Safelight touch my car. The cheep glass they use pays for the millions of dollars they spend on advertising each year.

In addition to all of the good advice mentioned above I would also avoid driving that car for at least eight hours after the instillation.
Old 04-10-2023 | 11:45 AM
Ob917
Rennlist Member

I’m in the market for a windshield. Who do you guys think is best to order one through? I’m sure the dealer price isn’t the best.🤣
Old 04-10-2023 | 11:55 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ob917
I’m in the market for a windshield. Who do you guys think is best to order one through? I’m sure the dealer price isn’t the best.🤣
There are dealers who discount via the web... but I have no idea what shipping would do their discounts. Other than that, some local dealers give PCA discounts of around 10%. If you use a Safelite or other installer, you can demand what brand, part number, and you can see what they then will charge.... as I have done only to see non-oem glass installed... yes, they can be that brazen.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-10-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Ob917 (04-10-2023)
Old 04-12-2023 | 11:02 AM
Dr.J
Instructor

Good morning & I’m in Canada and the quote I received from Porsche is, in my opinion, absurd: $1750 + tax for the windscreen and $420 + tax for the cowl, without any mention of labour. We have Speedy Auto Glass and they provide a chinese substitute for $620, installed, but, I won’t go this option. Does anyone here know how I might be able to source an OEM windscreen outside the dealer? Thanks,

John
Old 04-12-2023 | 11:10 AM
Ob917
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.J
Good morning & I’m in Canada and the quote I received from Porsche is, in my opinion, absurd: $1750 + tax for the windscreen and $420 + tax for the cowl, without any mention of labour. We have Speedy Auto Glass and they provide a chinese substitute for $620, installed, but, I won’t go this option. Does anyone here know how I might be able to source an OEM windscreen outside the dealer? Thanks,

John
I took the same trip to my closest dealer and got about the same quote. But and this may or may not help you, my dealer says they match on line prices and I think Suncoast has them listed lots cheaper. Maybe they will match that pricing for you.

Quick Reply: Windshields