Sponsored by:

How many miles before an oil analysis?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 12:36 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
"I swear, next Halloween I'm dressing as a scratched Nikasil liner and showing up at all your doors..." That's hilarious. Also, would be very frightening as now even the Nikis
are scoring - imagine the horror to all those that just rebuilt using them!
I'll find 4 other old guys and we can get together/make a complete set of 6

Old 01-20-2024, 12:51 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Silver - very erudite response and good on you for treating all your vehicles as well as you do. I think Moose was being funny / ironic by implying that Nikasil will score also, or he inadvertently made a mistake and used Nikasil rather than Alusil/Lokasil in his Halloween statement.

Personally, I only do UOAs on my 997. The others are utilitarian and I just have the oil changed religiously and otherwise don't really give much of a crap about UOAs on them (two are leased, and my owned truck has about 100k miles on it)

Old 01-20-2024, 01:02 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 190 Posts

Haha I see, thanks. I do agree with you that on my other cars like my grocery getter Audi Q5 2.0T I do UOA periodically but def not every oil change. I own all my cars outright and I change my oil often. On a track car it should be done much more frequently IMHO. It really is like a blood test, you don't have to obsess over your A1C but sure once a year it is a very good idea to get a blood test to see where you are.

Groov welcome back
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 03:29 PM
swish77
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=Sporty;19229389 I get regular UOAs and I wait like a little kid at Christmas for the reports to see the results, trends, effects of the changed oil brands and other things. My wear metals have been consistently high over the last 50k miles, but the car runs perfect, burns no oil - now I switched to another oil and I can't wait to see the results. Get it?[/QUOTE]

I'm in this camp ... It's just interesting/fun to see the oil analysis of your 911. And it ain't that expensive, especially by Porsche standards, so why not? Yes, it's a little geeky, according to my wife, but I spent a fun hour analyzing the results of my first SPEEDiagnostix test a couple of months ago on my '05 997.1 C2. (All squeaky clean).

Will it help me prevent a problem down the road if I get troubling results on subsequent tests? Not sure, but maybe. Either way, I still like to know what's going on inside my engine .... even if I don't understand half of it.

Quick Reply: How many miles before an oil analysis?