Sponsored by:

Tiptronic transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024 | 02:18 PM
flat6---
Instructor

Question Tiptronic transmission issue?

Hello everyone,

I always wanted a 997 manual to replace my 6sp Boxster S, but after looking for over a year I ended up getting a 2007 C2 Tiptronic, which I actually really like.

Now, I am not sure if this is an issue or not, my mechanic told me he does not like tiptronics because of how the transmission feels; but my issue is that when the engine is not hot, the transition from 2-R or 2-3 mainly, is kind of abrupt, I would say.

However, once the engine is fully warmed, shifting seems to be normal.

Is this normal on the Tips or am I having a transmission issue? , I recently had the transmission service done.

Thank you!

Old 01-08-2024 | 08:56 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Not a direct comment, but often changes in transmission behavior might occur after the service, as the fresh fluid acts differently on worn or wear parts because it has a different viscosity than the old fluid in the case, when it heats it becomes more fluid.

Old 01-08-2024 | 10:57 PM
flat6---
Instructor

Thank you!

I actually spoke to a transmission mechanic expert on this type, Mercedes 722.6 and he said that most likely there is no issues.

The only thing that he recommended was to reset or erase the transmission adaptation codes.

He said that they usually are the cause for these type of issues since most of the time they get corrupted and after erasing them everything is fine.

I tried to erase them with my Foxwell tool but I couldn't, I am sure I should be able with the Durametric tool which I don't have but may buy.

Best,
Old 01-09-2024 | 08:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't know if the Tiptronic transmission has a vacuum modulator or not, but if it does, check that the lines feeding it hold vacuum. I just replaced the flexible sections of vacuum supply line to the 4 speed auto trans in one of my 928s and it's a completely different car the way it shifts now. It uses a torque converter automatic like the 997.1 does. Shifts before we're abrupt and clunky and now they're totally smooth like my GMC pickup.

The first section of vacuum line broke in half when I touched it and the second section was loose on the transmission connection port.

Was 1 piece until I literally touched it

Sections rrplaced

Used this silicone vacuum line I had on hand

The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
flat6--- (01-09-2024), voiceprint1 (01-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Tiptronic transmission issue?