Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear seat pin nut

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023 | 06:01 PM
eatumup
AutoX

Default Rear seat pin nut

I recently had to pull the rear seat backrest pin out to get to my rear window regular on my 05. The rivet nut? that the pin screws into spun in the aluminum frame its pressed into. I think someone before me over torqued it. I did manage to get in there and gain access, I could thread the pin back in, but im sure if i do it would just spin again if I ever had to get back in there. I also don't want to attempt to press another one in as i can see the aluminum shavings that the teeth scrubbed off when i tried to unbolt the pin. Is there any kind of upgraded part that I can replace that nut with?
Old 10-28-2023 | 08:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You could get a rivnut tool and try to tighten it in the hole. The y work by a section of the body bring weaker than the rest so when the tool is tightened inside, it mushrooms out on the sides locking it in place. If the little serrated teeth that hold it are gone, might need to drill it out and install a new one.
Old 12-22-2023 | 02:53 PM
abrooks
3rd Gear

I'm in the same situation but need to replace the rivnut -- I can't find a porsche part number and the threading on the pin seemed to best fit a 7/16 x 20 nut but I wasn't convinced it was exactly right -- anyone know the threading on the pin? Thanks
Old 12-22-2023 | 03:33 PM
Der Mechaniker
Advanced

Originally Posted by abrooks
I'm in the same situation but need to replace the rivnut -- I can't find a porsche part number and the threading on the pin seemed to best fit a 7/16 x 20 nut but I wasn't convinced it was exactly right -- anyone know the threading on the pin? Thanks
sorry I don’t actually know but it would surely be a metric thread, 7/16” is, what , around 11mm ?
Old 12-22-2023 | 03:49 PM
abrooks
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Der Mechaniker
sorry I don’t actually know but it would surely be a metric thread, 7/16” is, what , around 11mm ?
I would have thought it was metric as well. I'll admit that the home depot thread tester thing was pretty inconclusive when I tried the new pin in it. And the fluting in the threads in the new pin likely didnt help either . . .
Old 01-09-2024 | 02:24 PM
abrooks
3rd Gear

Just closing this out for the next person: it appears this is an M10 thread.

Quick Reply: Rear seat pin nut