Sponsored by:

HELP! My 7.1 keeps puking fuel at the pumps :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 09:51 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

** See post below **

Last edited by T3C; 01-28-2024 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:53 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ptech1
You need to remove and check your charcoal canister by blowing air directly through it from the lower hose connection (tank side) . I've personally seen several cars where the initial chamber (there are 4) basically molds while turning the desiccant material solid. This causes a restriction and doesn't allow the tank pressure to travel through the canister to the purge valve while fueling.
If you don't get air flow while checking it, then you'll need to either purchase a used unit (no longer available from Porsche), or cut the charcoal canister open at the seam and hollow out/remove the material from that initial chamber, and then reseal it with epoxy etc as any leak will cause a CEL. Unsure if you can break it apart through the inlet/ tank connection as I haven't personally tried it, but was part of a discussion with my techs.
I​​​​'ll see if I can find the photos I took of the first one we found after going through the entire system to resolve a consistent fueling issue.
​​
Originally Posted by Edcantera
Sounds like a plugged up canister not letting the vapors in the tank enter the canister. I’d investigate the canister.
As an update, I purchased a used canister from a much lower mileage 997 (50k miles vs my 135k miles) for about $50 not really sure if it would fix my issue. At $50 it felt like a worthwhile gamble. Prior to making this post I had already taken apart the charcoal canister and blown air through the two tubes at its base. It didn't feel very restrictive, but did take some effort. I didn't have any comparison until I bought the used unit. The used/donor canister didn't really seem to vent air any more easily, but I went ahead and installed it anyway. Got everything buttoned up and drove straight to the gas station. It accepted 7.5 gallons (tank was just under 50% full at the time) from the pump without any issue at all. Will update again after a few more fill-ups from a couple different stations. I'm cautiously optimistic, but this seems to have resolved my issue.
The following users liked this post:
fiddlesticks (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 07:06 AM
Edcantera
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad that it worked out! @T3C Not sure what happened but the text in your last post is greyed out. I had to copy and paste it to read it.

Quick Reply: HELP! My 7.1 keeps puking fuel at the pumps :(