Changed oil, car won’t start now

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 12:36 PM
user 9089299
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
I really doubt you caused the issue.

I often let my oil drain overnight, to the point where it stops dripping and I haven’t had an issue nor have I heard it being an issue anywhere else.

So draining for a few more days wouldn’t have changed anything.

Plus, wouldn’t the oil that was going to drain to pan going to drain to pan anyway? So there shouldn’t be much difference in a car that sits in the garage for a few weeks and what happened here.

Besides once you start your car the oil will be distributed if everything was working properly.

Have you tried pulling codes to see if anything was captured? Did you do anything else recently besides the oil change?

Maybe your oil pickup/scavenger pump failed? Might want to check that out.

Did you measure the amount of oil you removed? I did this the last time and I got out ~8.75l trs/9.25 qts from an overnight drain.

I have a 10qts pan and it is full close to 9qts+! On the third day when I was putting the oil cap back in it was still dropping oil. I was shocked.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:44 PM
user 9089299
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
12.17 volts is pretty discharged. 12.6-12.8 is what you're hoping for. And if its the original battery, its CCA capacity is likely well diminished. Its not due to the cold, its due to being an old battery.

new battery= car starts
sorry when I meant oem I meant to say I’m using an original Porsche battery. It’s probably 2.5 years old.

however I’m confused why my jump stater (I have a usb one) didn’t start the car even if it’s a bad battery? Would this happen?

this jump starter has worked great in the past for me with this car when it died.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by rojo33
sorry when I meant oem I meant to say I’m using an original Porsche battery. It’s probably 2.5 years old.

however I’m confused why my jump stater (I have a usb one) didn’t start the car even if it’s a bad battery? Would this happen?

this jump starter has worked great in the past for me with this car when it died.
ok thats a bit different. Usually the USB jump packs work really well, so I'm surprised here.

Do you have fuel pressure at the rail?
Old 12-20-2023, 01:49 PM
user 9089299
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
ok thats a bit different. Usually the USB jump packs work really well, so I'm surprised here.

Do you have fuel pressure at the rail?
I hear the fuel pump working. I don’t even think the car is turning because I don’t feel it at all. It’s almost like if there isn’t enough compression to get the engine going. That’s the kind of sound it makes.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:59 PM
XuTVJet
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 95 Posts

Swap in a new battery. There is no reason why an engine won't start after an oil change assuming you didn't mess with anything else. This is no different than building an engine and firing up the first time. You said you left the hood open and the car had battery issues prior. Start with the battery. Cars, especially German ones, do really weird things when they don't have enough juice in the battery.
Old 12-20-2023, 02:22 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

If you used a trickle charger for days rather than a battery tender, then you probably cooked the battery.

These cars sit over the winter draining oil from the cylinder walls, but oily surfaces remain oily. You could drain the oil for months, and it shouldn't matter.

What is the static voltage on the battery? What is the voltage while cranking? If you don't have a voltmeter, buy one. In the meantime, while cranking, do the interior lights dim significantly?
Old 12-20-2023, 02:50 PM
user 9089299
Banned

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
If you used a trickle charger for days rather than a battery tender, then you probably cooked the battery.

These cars sit over the winter draining oil from the cylinder walls, but oily surfaces remain oily. You could drain the oil for months, and it shouldn't matter.

What is the static voltage on the battery? What is the voltage while cranking? If you don't have a voltmeter, buy one. In the meantime, while cranking, do the interior lights dim significantly?
I keep getting answers back to batteries so I will try changing it today. I borrowed a voltmeter briefly from a shop near my house. It was reading V12.18 after a full night charge. And the SOC was 34%.
Old 12-20-2023, 04:10 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

That's a low value for a full charge.

Did you use a trickle charger for days, or a battery tender?

How far did the voltmeter drop as you were cranking?
Old 12-20-2023, 04:22 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

So the engine cranks but sounds different…like it has low/no compression. I would bet you let the oil drain from the cylinder walls/pistons, thusly not allowing the compression rings to seal. Normally on inline 6s I put a cap full of oil in each spark plug hole, fires up after a long crank every time. Your results may vary on a horizontally opposed engine and youll have to inject it, but it should work.”
You should definitely NOT put a cup full of oil in each spark plug hole. Most advice from strangers on the internet is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 12-20-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
You should definitely NOT put a cup full of oil in each spark plug hole. Most advice from strangers on the internet is worth exactly what you pay for it.
to be fair, it did say a CAP full, not a cup full, but could easily misread.
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 05:30 PM
user 9089299
Banned

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
That's a low value for a full charge.

Did you use a trickle charger for days, or a battery tender?

How far did the voltmeter drop as you were cranking?
trickle charger. I did use it a couple days to try to see if the battery would maintain on the 4v setting. But after leaving the car parked in the cold overnight for the first time ever. When I started the car that morning it felt rough. That’s why I decided to do the oil change because it was almost due. But the car stater fine twice that morning before I began my oil change. So I’m thinking maybe it felt rough because the battery was dying?

Last edited by user 9089299; 12-20-2023 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:44 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,859 Likes on 2,878 Posts

These batteries have always surprised me - Some last only 2-3 years and just one day all of a sudden the car won't crank, Dead. And when I say dead I mean not enough voltage (Sub 12.5V) to crank over. Doesn;t take much of a dip to prevent cranking.
CTEK Maintainer is #1 in my book and stays hooked up 24/7 all winter.

Good luck and I am guessing new battery will solve your no-start issue.

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-20-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:55 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
These batteries have always surprised me - Some last only 2-3 years and just one day all of a sudden the car won't crank, Dead. And when I say dead I mean not enough voltage (Sub 12.5V) to crank over. Doesn;t take much of a dip to prevent cranking.
CTEK Maintainer is #1 in my book and stays hooked up 24/7 all winter.

Good luck and I am guessing new battery will solve your no-start issue.
for the CTEK. Porsche uses them.
Old 12-20-2023, 06:14 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Batteries can be funny at times, I had a battery die on me in my daily, no issues starting, no issues at all then it died without warning, car wouldn’t crank, it had been fine that morning.

Only saving grace was I was in Autozones car park so it was an easy, and immediate fix!
Old 12-20-2023, 07:28 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

trickle charger. I did use it a couple days to try to see if the battery would maintain on the 4v setting. But after leaving the car parked in the cold overnight for the first time ever. When I started the car that morning it felt rough. That’s why I decided to do the oil change because it was almost due. But the car stater fine twice that morning before I began my oil change. So I’m thinking maybe it felt rough because the battery was dying?
4v setting?

Trickle chargers are dumb. They will keep on charging even after they start to boil off the electrolyte. Then the battery is destroyed. You need to monitor them and never leave them attached more than overnight.

The advantage to a trickle charger is that they don't need a battery to supply power. If your battery is below 10 volts they will charge anyway. A tender would not. That's for an emergency. If the battery is drained that badly it probably needs to be replaced at your earliest convenience.

There are a lot of tender options out there. They all work, but some may be more dependable than others. Attachment options (alligator clips, hard wired plug, or cigarette lighter) vary between units. Some are more water resistant than others. Some may be more reliable as well.

Quick Reply: Changed oil, car won’t start now