Sponsored by:

997.2 Random Stalling - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 04:13 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Fingers crossed.

FWIW ... At 154K miles, I've never cleaned anything on the intake side. Well, the air filters get changed every 40K miles.

I only use Chevron with Shell being substituted on occasion.

Mobil One 0-40 for 140K miles if you worry about LSPI creating internal pressures with subsequent overuse of the AOS.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Fingers crossed.

FWIW ... At 154K miles, I've never cleaned anything on the intake side. Well, the air filters get changed every 40K miles.

I only use Chevron with Shell being substituted on occasion.

Mobil One 0-40 for 140K miles if you worry about LSPI creating internal pressures with subsequent overuse of the AOS.
Next time you do your filters, check the butterfly... only takes another 10 minutes to get the airbox out.... I would love to know how gunked up it is (or not!). The gunk comes from the oil vapor inside the plenum.

My opinion o'the moment is the ignition switch. Throttle body or MAF would have given me uneven idle or shaking as the engine tried to stay alive. Cam position sensors are part of the computer system and if the computer gets an unexpected value or no value, it pops a code.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 12-11-2023, 05:05 PM
evo9
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by evo9
Hello, 2010 c2s 6mt here,

Fwiw - when my ignition switch was failing, symptom was similar. I'd cold-start car, drive 15min, shut it down. And on warm-restart, car would start, I'd drive 40ft and engine would die. Had to cycle ignition switch to off before attempting to re-start. It would not start when going from on to start.

Good luck on troubleshooting your issue.
In my specific case, car did not throw a Cel. I guess I went on a hunch related to how engine stalled. It was so quick, like what you would expect if a kill-switch was on car and someone was playing a joke on you by hitting switch while you were driving. No erratic idle, nothing, just instant off like ignition was killed.

Turned out my hunch was correct because, no more phantom engine stalls after I replaced ignition switch.

Cheers.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:29 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evo9
In my specific case, car did not throw a Cel. I guess I went on a hunch related to how engine stalled. It was so quick, like what you would expect if a kill-switch was on car and someone was playing a joke on you by hitting switch while you were driving. No erratic idle, nothing, just instant off like ignition was killed.

Turned out my hunch was correct because, no more phantom engine stalls after I replaced ignition switch.

Cheers.
Thanx for this.... exactly my issue... As I noted before, I kinda suspected my ignition switch but there are so many dang things it could be, it is good hearing your story. Thanx much for this.

Peace
Old 05-08-2024, 06:30 PM
myronf
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bruce:

Was it the ignition switch? I have the same problem. The car dies without any warning. One minute it's running and one minute later it's not. Usually at red lights. Yes, I know how to drive a clutch. The only way to start it again is to pull the key out and then reinsert.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:34 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ya know, it stopped doing it. Just hasn't shut down anymore. A few days ago, I had another oddity occur: I put the key in and turned it... with the clutch in of course... and NOTHING... then a very short moment later, the steering unlocked and the car started up. Really weird. All this points to the ignition switch I think. I just haven't got around to ordering another one. I think I will wait until this becomes a nuisance.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05-08-2024 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Bad crankshaft position sensor will cause the car to die suddenly and for no reason.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Bad crankshaft position sensor will cause the car to die suddenly and for no reason.
Will it throw a code? How long before it resets?

The Bosch OE sensors are on sale at Pelican and FCP for $26 each... I am going to order two. Called a Hall Sensor, they are located next to an ignition pack on each side.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05-08-2024 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Will it throw a code? How long before it resets?

Peace
Like anything that's failing, will be intermittent for a while and get more frequent until it completely fails.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Like anything that's failing, will be intermittent for a while and get more frequent until it completely fails.
Thanx.... having a problem with FCP website right now, will order in the morning. Looks like a pretty easy job, no more difficult that replacing spark plugs... probably a bit simpler.

Peace
Old 05-08-2024, 11:09 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

BTW, this may be me over-maintaining my car. I am not sure it is this sensor, but $56 and an hour of work is no big deal to me... so... a project!

Peace
The following users liked this post:
cvalue13 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 08:44 PM
myronf
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a new switch is in my future. I am not that concerned about buying an over priced ignition switch, but do not look forward to replacing it. I did it on my old 996 and my hands are still healing!!
Old 06-02-2024, 07:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update: I replaced the cam position sensors and now awaiting results. I guess I will know in a month or so? I did get a stall the other day before the work... but it can go many weeks without one. Stay tuned.

Installation is very easy if you can do spark plugs as the sensors are next to the spark plug holes, one on each side. So tires, rear bumper, mufflers, and a heat shield have to come off. I had one problem, I could not push a sensor into the hole... just would not seat. Why? The old O ring was still in the hole... stupid me. This is a rookie mistake seasoned techs don't make. Only tip I have to avoid these mistakes is to go slowly, and when in a jam, stop. Don't force, don't grab a hammer. Walk away, look at the old parts.... the bulb will fire.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now in Atlanta)
The following users liked this post:
anewman (06-03-2024)

Quick Reply: 997.2 Random Stalling - Ideas?