Sponsored by:

997.1 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 01:28 PM
ripcurl
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997.1 oil leak

I was inspecting the drain bolt (to see if it was the magnetic one or OEM) this morning on my new-to-me 2005 C2S (76k miles on it) and noticed a small oil leak. When I had the car PPI'd recently, they noticed the oil pan was leaking so they replaced the gasket and did a fresh oil change (probably why the oil is still golden). I've searched online to see what could be the cause and the fix, but i'm mostly finding info on oil leaks from the rear main seal - can't find anything on this location. Can anyone provide some guidance?

Old 11-24-2023, 01:32 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Based on the color and location that is coolant, and not oil.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (11-25-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 01:41 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

It looks like common green antifreeze when it should be "pink" (Porsche/equivalent) antifreeze.
Has the water pump ever been changed? The consensus is that they should be changed on a 60000 mile mileage schedule. Change to a low temperature (160 degF) thermostat at the same time. Try to flush all the old coolant out during the maintenance process, or plan to do multiple drain, drive, and refills with distilled water.
Petza914 (11-25-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 02:38 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Gasket at the Coolant pipe connection most likely needs replacing

Old 11-24-2023, 02:56 PM
ripcurl
AutoX

Originally Posted by krazykarl
Based on the color and location that is coolant, and not oil.
It didn't feel oily but the color threw me off. Thanks!

Originally Posted by jchapura
It looks like common green antifreeze when it should be "pink" (Porsche/equivalent) antifreeze.
Has the water pump ever been changed? The consensus is that they should be changed on a 60000 mile mileage schedule. Change to a low temperature (160 degF) thermostat at the same time. Try to flush all the old coolant out during the maintenance process, or plan to do multiple drain, drive, and refills with distilled water.
I don't believe it had been replaced so it's about time. Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Gasket at the Coolant pipe connection most likely needs replacing
Thanks, I'll look into this along with the water pump.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Also important to use Porsche coolant only. If you ever need to top off coolant tank temporarily only use DISTILLED water.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:42 PM
ripcurl
AutoX

So I haven't had much time to look into this and today I went under the car to check again, and saw even more coolant leaking. It looks like there is a very slow drip (I saw a drip just as I went under the car). FYI the car hasn't moved since last time as it's parked for the winter.

It obviously looks like the gaskets need to be replaced, but why would the other gasket start leaking if the car is just sitting? Temperature change? Also I'm trying to find the specific gaskets for these locations - what keywords should I be searching? When I look up info on coolant gaskets, all I'm finding is waterpump and thermostat gaskets. I don't know that specific names I should be searching. Could this be linked to some other sort of cooling system issue that I need to look further into?
Old 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 724 Likes on 453 Posts

That is because the gasket is not leaking. The water pump is leaking from the shaft seal, which is above both of those wet spots and the coolant is just showing up at the bottom. The cure is new water pump, and new thermostat, both of which would need new metal gaskets.
jchapura (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 08:47 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ripcurl
So I haven't had much time to look into this and today I went under the car to check again, and saw even more coolant leaking. It looks like there is a very slow drip (I saw a drip just as I went under the car). FYI the car hasn't moved since last time as it's parked for the winter.
It obviously looks like the gaskets need to be replaced, but why would the other gasket start leaking if the car is just sitting? Temperature change? Also I'm trying to find the specific gaskets for these locations - what keywords should I be searching? When I look up info on coolant gaskets, all I'm finding is waterpump and thermostat gaskets. I don't know that specific names I should be searching. Could this be linked to some other sort of cooling system issue that I need to look further into?
Just wait and continue to do absolutely nothing.---->Don't replace water pump or gaskets and just wait until the leak is much more severe and plan to replace/rebuild the engine when it is starved of coolant & seizes next year?

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-08-2023 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:54 PM
ripcurl
AutoX

Originally Posted by yelcab
That is because the gasket is not leaking. The water pump is leaking from the shaft seal, which is above both of those wet spots and the coolant is just showing up at the bottom. The cure is new water pump, and new thermostat, both of which would need new metal gaskets.
I'll bet you $1000 if you do nothing and don't replace the water pump or gaskets the leak will be even more prevelent.
Why don't you just do nothing and replacethe engine after the water pump or seals fail?

Thanks for the heads up guys. I thought it was a small leak from a gasket originally, but clear this is a bigger issue. Taking it to the mechanic as soon as I can to get this sorted!
Old 12-08-2023, 09:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the heads up guys. I thought it was a small leak from a gasket originally, but clear this is a bigger issue. Taking it to the mechanic as soon as I can to get this sorted!
When you replace the water pump also replace the Thermostat. I assume that hasn;t been replaced?
If your Indy Mechanic allows you to purchase the OEM parts, I suggest buying from Sponsor Rennpart.com. They have excellent pricing/inexpensive super-fast shipping.
I've been buying OEM partsd from Rennpart for years and years.

How many miles on car? Do you have service records for your car? If not, it may be wise to have the Idler Pulleys & Belt changed as well. They seem to wear out at about 60-80K miles. Worn Idler pulley bearings get loud at higher RPM's.
Also if not performed have coils/plugs changed - Basically a major service if no indication the work has been done.

https://rennpart.com/

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-08-2023 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:48 AM
ripcurl
AutoX

When you replace the water pump also replace the Thermostat. I assume that hasn;t been replaced?
If your Indy Mechanic allows you to purchase the OEM parts, I suggest buying from Sponsor Rennpart.com. They have excellent pricing/inexpensive super-fast shipping.
I've been buying OEM partsd from Rennpart for years and years.

How many miles on car? Do you have service records for your car? If not, it may be wise to have the Idler Pulleys & Belt changed as well. They seem to wear out at about 60-80K miles. Worn Idler pulley bearings get loud at higher RPM's.
Also if not performed have coils/plugs changed - Basically a major service if no indication the work has been done.

https://rennpart.com/
Around 76k miles on it. I have some of the records but not all of them. Just got the car recently and pretty much went straight into winter storage. I'll take the car to the Indy mechanic and have them inspect all those items and get done so I can enjoy it come spring time! Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 12-11-2023, 10:00 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Around 76k miles on it. I have some of the records but not all of them. Just got the car recently and pretty much went straight into winter storage. I'll take the car to the Indy mechanic and have them inspect all those items and get done so I can enjoy it come spring time! Thanks for the heads up!!

Many owners sell their car before performing the heavier maintenance. Also true with Mercedes.
At about the 75K-90K mile mark Idler Pulleys/Belt/Water Pump/Thermostate need changing out.
*If you didn't perform a PPI, also have indy shop check Coils & Plugs/Brakes/etc & Coolant flush. Of course oil change as well.
Also good idea to have battery on maintainer like the CTEK model. Stays plugged in and keeps Battery in good shape.

All the best.

Quick Reply: 997.1 oil leak