Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys run your AC all winter long?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 01:22 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,097 Posts

I believe the car will not allow the AC compressor to run if the outside temps are low enough to cause any damage to the system, which means it’s safe to use it all the time.

Agree, even in the winter, if it’s cold and rainy, using AC reduces humidity in the cabin and can help prevent mold.

On the 996 model, using the AC button, regardless of if the compressor is engaged, engages the front two cooling fans on low speed for the radiators, which keeps engine temps a bit lower, even in the winter, during vehicles speeds that are low (such as heavy traffic).
Old 11-21-2023, 01:47 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Agree, even in the winter, if it’s cold and rainy, using AC reduces humidity in the cabin and can help prevent mold.
Yeah, but be aware it can grow mold in the AC system. All that humidity you're pulling out of the air condenses on the evaporator and drains into the heater box (that's the drip you get out the heater box drain hose when running the A/C). The issue is that if you leave the A/C on all the time that moisture just sits on the coils when you turn off the car and grows stuff, and you can wind up with a musty-smelling A/C system. A good practice on any car is to turn the A/C off about 2-3 minutes before you shut off the car but keep the blower on high. This helps dry off the evaporator coils and can prevent mold growth and that musty smell.

I've also had good luck using BG Frigi-Fresh every couple of years when I replace the cabin filter on the Cayman, or when I notice any odor. I've tried a few products and this has worked best.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/clima...g-frigi-fresh/
Old 11-22-2023, 11:26 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Yeah, but be aware it can grow mold in the AC system. All that humidity you're pulling out of the air condenses on the evaporator and drains into the heater box (that's the drip you get out the heater box drain hose when running the A/C). The issue is that if you leave the A/C on all the time that moisture just sits on the coils when you turn off the car and grows stuff, and you can wind up with a musty-smelling A/C system. A good practice on any car is to turn the A/C off about 2-3 minutes before you shut off the car but keep the blower on high. This helps dry off the evaporator coils and can prevent mold growth and that musty smell.

I've also had good luck using BG Frigi-Fresh every couple of years when I replace the cabin filter on the Cayman, or when I notice any odor. I've tried a few products and this has worked best.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/clima...g-frigi-fresh/
I’m glad you mentioned this, as this happens all the time in our 2019 BMW X3.
Old 11-22-2023, 01:19 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah, it happens on a lot of cars. The 987/997 seem particularly prone to it, though.

If you use the BG stuff to kill what's growing in there, make sure you've got the dust/pollen filter in place, and then make some effort to dry out the evaporator before parking it helps. I can typically go a couple years before I start smelling it again when the AC comes on, then it's time for another spray down.
Old 11-22-2023, 01:35 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Living in the Caribbean with it's high temperatures and humidity year round my A/C is ALWAYS on.

My '09 997.2 C2 with its current 31K miles and which I've owned for over 7 years, surprisingly enough cools quite well. To its credit I've never had the system serviced nor recharged with gas which in itself is quite an statement.
Old 11-22-2023, 04:21 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Yeah, it happens on a lot of cars. The 987/997 seem particularly prone to it, though.

If you use the BG stuff to kill what's growing in there, make sure you've got the dust/pollen filter in place, and then make some effort to dry out the evaporator before parking it helps. I can typically go a couple years before I start smelling it again when the AC comes on, then it's time for another spray down.
So on my 996, turning off the AC and using high speed blower to dry the condenser out only take a min or two. However, my 2019 BMW X3 has a heat pump, and the separate heat exchanger and coolant (there are two coolant reservoir tanks on this car) means that there is a good deal of residual cool fluid in the system, even after the compressor is turned off. So it takes a lot longer to dry out the system. Maybe if I drove faster/harder, that would help, lol, as this 2nd cooling system is also used to cool the intercooler!

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 11-22-2023 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:09 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I hardly ever run my AC unless it's really hot. The car runs better with the compressor turned off in ECO mode and I prefer the windows down and the extra engine sound that comes in because of it.
What is this ECO mode you mentioned? I have not seen this anywhere in my 09 S settings?Not that I would use an ECO mode but I am curious

Quick Reply: Do you guys run your AC all winter long?