Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rumination on our engines - Sound asthetics have changed ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023 | 11:24 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Rumination on our engines - Sound asthetics have changed ??

2009 C2S 192K miles

Did sound aesthetics change since we were young (I am older... ugh).

When I was young, the 60s and 70s "performance" cars where about deep, throaty, rumbling sound. The rumbling has more to do with the imbalance of V8s (as apposed to flat-plane cranks), but still part of the aesthetic. Today, modern Ferraris and Porsches, for example, have a higher-pitched metallic sound. Honestly, I miss the old deep throaty sound.

Am I just loosing my hearing or has there been a change in what people like? What is it about modern performance engines, their engineering (?), that results in such a sound change? What about this new "pop and crackle" that in my opinion is just being engineered into the exhaust systems?

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-18-2023 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-18-2023 | 12:00 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

likely a combination of everything you said and more. like fine wine everyone's palate is different, some folks cannot drink GG Trocken Riesling from Germany, others believe there is nothing better and on and on, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir... So, our ears hear different things, some due to aging some due to who knows what? Are you referring to factory standard, factory sport or aftermarket exhaust systems? I have a factory sport exhaust in my manual '08 C4 S, I love it, I hear its deep notes some crackle and it is different than a lot of what I hear on the road, e.g., very loud booming cars or pop/crackle cars. My PDK '11 Boxster Spyder has an after-market Borla, I like it a lot it's a deep sound with some occasional pop/crackle on shifting but not annoying pop/crackle, not constant. Annoying to me is Subaru, Honda boy racer cars that sound like they are farting. Also annoying to me is the BIG Ram trucks with exhaust systems you'll be able to hear 3 blocks away.
Old 09-18-2023 | 02:14 PM
dmpslc
Racer

I'd agree that the trend is more to a loud metallic whine, save for the glorious rumbling sound of the modern mustang GT cars. I imagine it's a lot like wheel trends - silver, black, body colored, many spokes, few spokes, flat faces, deep lips, 3 piece look, etc... everyone has an opinion and a preference. I'm old enough to say the straight piped cars sound ridiculous, and I'd like to keep what's left of my hearing. The crackle tunes, annoying, the kid in the car that backfires constantly (sometimes a Civic, more recently M3s) is the reason I usually leave a cars & coffee. And I am sure those opinions have to do with age. For me, fewer spokes on silver wheels, and a mild sounding car that gets more interesting as the revs increase, but never annoying inside or outside the car. I guess I prefer something a little more understated. But go wild with paint colors!
Old 09-18-2023 | 02:38 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

I can’t say that I’ve noticed a huge change over the years. IME the preferences tend to revolve around the type of engine, rev range, manufacturer and market. A big ‘ol hefty V8 Mustang GT and high-revving Ferrari V8 have very unique sounds and have pretty much had their sound forever. Plus American muscle has that deep throaty sound where as zee Germans tend to be higher pitched. There are exceptions, for sure. The AMG V8s and at least the E39 M5 have a deeper, throatier sound. My CLS550 does too, though the stock exhaust mutes most of it. That’s just what I’ve noticed.
I’ve always loved the deep throaty muscle car sound of a Mustang GT for example but high-revving racy sounds are my kryptonite. That’s why I went for a full iPE exhaust in my car. It’s intoxicating.
Old 09-18-2023 | 07:20 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

A howl of a Flat6 or an I5 engine have always been my favorite. V8 wise I have always been a fan of Maserati.

Bruce, I think what you are noticing is the manufacturers are dumping V8s and going to high strung I4s and V6s. To make the I4s and V6s more interesting you are getting into raspy sounding exhausts with lots of pops and bangs to imitate higher displacement motors of the past.

Another byproduct of going green nonsense (Which boils my blood ).
Old 09-19-2023 | 09:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

People still like that v8 sound - there's not much that sounds better than a v8 mustang with proper exhaust on it. I like v8ntinboe, but like it a little more German and why I have a pair of 928s.

Also love the more exotic flat 6 sound of the Fabspeed exhaust.on the 997, especially at high rpm.

I think one of the best sounding cars ever made is the Lexus LFA though.
Old 09-19-2023 | 09:10 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

As nice as the flat 6 sounds on a 911, I’ve been amazed by the sound of the V8 in the Aston Martin Vantage I drove. It’s almost making me want to trade my 997 in for one! I am not a fan of the newer pops and crackles of the new cars upon throttle lift.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 09-19-2023 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2023 | 11:52 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I think one of the best sounding cars ever made is the Lexus LFA though.
I'm with you- a V10 sounds just other-worldly.
The LFA and Carrera GT are in their own class (of street car engine sound).

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/a-closer-loo...-the-lfas-v10/

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...gt-175843.html

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 09-21-2023 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2023 | 02:40 AM
BLU997
Racer

My friend has an M5 V8, this is the "Hot Vee" from a couple of generations ago, with a lightly modded exhaust.

Now, this thing sounds other worldly, with a spectacularly odd (non) V8 noise and frightening acceleration.

The reason being, I've found out, each turbo exhaust manifold is mixed from both left and right banks of the engine.

Expensive & weird for a production factory to produce such a system. But there must be a reason.

Anyhoo, I know when he starts his car a few blocks away. The sound still makes me smile.

Last edited by BLU997; 09-21-2023 at 02:41 AM. Reason: its the vibe man.
Old 09-22-2023 | 11:46 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Earlier this afternoon one of these passed me and what an incredible sound it had.

6 Liter V8. One of the best sounding engines that I've heard in a long time.

2006 GTO
The following users liked this post:
JAAM (09-23-2023)
Old 09-23-2023 | 09:53 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Australian Camaro lol

Quick Reply: Rumination on our engines - Sound asthetics have changed ??