Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12' 997 S new purchase PPI or DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 03:39 AM
sohelhss
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In regards to the PPI, I absolutely 100% would do one. These are expensive cars and you never know what is wrong with them, and unless you are a very experienced mechanic you are going to miss things. Mine was at a somewhat reputable dealership here in Portland, they were trying to convince me to not to do the PPI, but I did it anyway. Cost me almost $600 at a reputable garage here but guess what, I got peace of mind that the "minor" accident on the carfax was indeed very minor, not structural damage at all, and I knew what were the issues with the car. Needed new tensioners and pulleys, water pump, new tires, brakes and rotors. However, all these things were fixable and guts of the car were just fine and was very clean. Dealer discounted the price $8k from initial listing price(thank you Fed chairman Powell for raising interest rates 5% and causing a temporary dip in the Porsche market!), did the math and realized it was a good deal. Fast forward 7 months, I put $5k into the car, saved money buying parts from FCP Euro(mainly brakes and rotors, should have bought the other stuff too and saved more), and the car is worth $6-7k more than what I bought it for after taking it to a dealership recently to see what I could sell it for (I prob will keep it, but just wanted to see). And, of course, after the rehab on the car it drives amazing. Absolutely no issues. These are high end expensive cars, spend the money and do it right. That's my advice.
Old 09-23-2023, 04:11 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Originally Posted by sohelhss
In regards to the PPI, I absolutely 100% would do one. These are expensive cars and you never know what is wrong with them, and unless you are a very experienced mechanic you are going to miss things. Mine was at a somewhat reputable dealership here in Portland, they were trying to convince me to not to do the PPI, but I did it anyway. Cost me almost $600 at a reputable garage here but guess what, I got peace of mind that the "minor" accident on the carfax was indeed very minor, not structural damage at all, and I knew what were the issues with the car. Needed new tensioners and pulleys, water pump, new tires, brakes and rotors. However, all these things were fixable and guts of the car were just fine and was very clean. Dealer discounted the price $8k from initial listing price(thank you Fed chairman Powell for raising interest rates 5% and causing a temporary dip in the Porsche market!), did the math and realized it was a good deal. Fast forward 7 months, I put $5k into the car, saved money buying parts from FCP Euro(mainly brakes and rotors, should have bought the other stuff too and saved more), and the car is worth $6-7k more than what I bought it for after taking it to a dealership recently to see what I could sell it for (I prob will keep it, but just wanted to see). And, of course, after the rehab on the car it drives amazing. Absolutely no issues. These are high end expensive cars, spend the money and do it right. That's my advice.
Let me guess ----> Was it Grand Prix Motors??
As far as getting PPI/Bore Scope Inspection and servicing work done in Portland, I highly recommend Marque Motors.

Old 09-23-2023, 04:24 PM
sohelhss
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Let me guess ----> Was it Grand Prix Motors??
As far as getting PPI/Bore Scope Inspection and servicing work done in Portland, I highly recommend Marque Motors.
haha good guess. It was D&C. I looked at Grand Prix as well and almost bought a 997.1 with tiptronic and thank god I didn’t. I used Marque Motors for my PPI as well(based off recommendations from this forum) and agree they were very thorough and caught just about everything. That’s why the car got discounted so much because PPIs kept popping up work that needed to be fixed. I usually get my work done at Matrix Integrated(they worked on the car with the previous owner) but both are legit shops.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (09-23-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 10:27 PM
jaimster
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so I have decided as previously stated to at least for NOW , hold off on the 911 S purchase perhaps unrealistically thought I could buy it for around 50k max ..

so I m buying a 2010 Panamera Turbo S for 30 k , 67k miles pristine. immaculate condition .. looks beautiful drives great. fast suspension replaced by previous owner.

thank you, Guys, for all your advice never say never but for NOW I'm settling for this one.

thank you again
groovzilla (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 11:42 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaimster
so I have decided as previously stated to at least for NOW , hold off on the 911 S purchase perhaps unrealistically thought I could buy it for around 50k max ..
so I m buying a 2010 Panamera Turbo S for 30 k , 67k miles pristine. immaculate condition .. looks beautiful drives great. fast suspension replaced by previous owner.
thank you, Guys, for all your advice never say never but for NOW I'm settling for this one.
thank you again
Enjoy the new ride!

Old 09-24-2023, 08:03 PM
jaimster
Advanced

WTF... maybe things happen for a reason !
- seller texted few hours ago he is changed his mind NOW he wants more money ..FORGET it wasn't even where my heart was from the start

NOt paying more than 30 k for a 2010 Panamera turbo ... back on the hunt for my dream car

I apologize for going back and forth on this - I looked and texted interest on some turbos '08 for under 60k today one out of Illinois is got my interest ultimo motors

we will see..
Old 09-24-2023, 09:52 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

WTF... maybe things happen for a reason !
- seller texted few hours ago he is changed his mind NOW he wants more money ..FORGET it wasn't even where my heart was from the start
NOt paying more than 30 k for a 2010 Panamera turbo ... back o the hunt for my dream ca
I apologize for going back and forth on this - I looked and texted interest on some turbos '08 for under 60k today one out of Illinois is got my interest ultimo motors
we will see..
Great news.
Actually that was me calling you disguising my voice as seller

Old 09-26-2023, 08:15 PM
jaimster
Advanced

prospect on the rise !!

found a 2008 911 turbo through auto Trader for 64200
I offered 58k he agreed according to auto trader - I just sent him a message for a test drive and assuming looks really good a PPI will have to be done too

should I do a camera scoping for the Cylinders bore scoring OR is that NOT an issue on Turbos ?? also car has 7th previous owners which makes a bit nervous to be honest

if we go through the purchase I will ask for the seller to go with me to the DMV make sure paper work is in order and there was a lien reported back in 2007 (hopefully that has been removed) AND on the Experian auto check report scores low 74 its got some concerns.

your thoughts??
Old 09-26-2023, 08:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

No need to Bore Scope Turbo - Be extremely careful on Auto Trader or any car selling venue. Don;t send money until you have confirmed seller is owner and look at title/etc. I always ask for copy opf sellers drivers license and offer mine as well.
Also if you get as far as an actual purchase and there is a lien on the car, Go to bank w/seller to pay off car in person. Don't trust seller to pay off car.

Last edited by groovzilla; 09-26-2023 at 08:27 PM.
VT Blue (10-02-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 08:46 PM
jaimster
Advanced

right on GroovZilla! should I spend the money on a PPI or just DO the inspection my self ? , price agreed on is 58000 plus taxes registration license
as far the Lien goes autotrader has some protections on that - BUT still Im going to make sure that is paid off before I purchase it

have NOT send any money - requested a test drive this Friday at 630pm I might call auto trader tomorrow find out more details think they also offer Escrow for the transaction.
according to autotrader seller has been verified too

link to the car :

https://www.autotrader.com/marketpla...Fporsche%2F911

Old 09-26-2023, 09:16 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

right on GroovZilla! should I spend the money on a PPI or just DO the inspection my self ? , price agreed on is 58000 plus taxes registration license
as far the Lien goes autotrader has some protections on that - BUT still Im going to make sure that is paid off before I purchase it
have NOT send any money - requested a test drive this Friday at 630pm I might call auto trader tomorrow find out more details think they also offer Escrow for the transaction.
according to autotrader seller has been verified too
link to the car :
https://www.autotrader.com/marketpla...Fporsche%2F911
You must get PPI at Porsche Specialty Shop or Dealer. Some Dealers will do PPI but I prefer Porsche Indy shop.
I suggest you put a Post on the Turbo Forum and just ask what you should look for and what to have have checked during the PPI process. The Turbo is a different beast
Go slow don't act excited when talking with buyer. There's always some room for negotiation after PPI is performed and you review results.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:36 AM
jaimster
Advanced

Interesting !
purchased the vehicle Carfax report (seller had provided the Experian DOES NOT show maintenance history)

So car had 8 owners - don't know what to make of that!!

what's got me nervous ..according to the history car had camshafts replaced / repaired at 27,489 miles then AGAIN At 31067 miles

I have been reading trying to understand DME engine over Revs and camshaft Deviations. and trying to understand the data off Durametric which I m definitely going ask the seller to let me plug my Durametric so I can get the data off the DME ..

here is the history on it :

https://www.carfax.com/api/consumers...&et_id=7788191

thanks Again

Last edited by jaimster; 09-28-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:41 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Interesting !
purchased the vehicle Carfax report (seller had provided the Experian DOES NOT show maintenance history)
So car had 8 owners - don't know what to make of that!!
what's got me nervous ..according to the history car had camshafts replaced / repaired at 27,489 miles then AGAIN At 31067 miles
I have been reading trying to understand DME engine over Revs and camshaft Deviations. and trying to understand the data off Durametric which I m definitely going ask the seller to let me plug my Durametric so I can get the data off the DME ..
here is the history on it :
https://www.carfax.com/api/consumers...&et_id=7788191
thanks Again
My only comment---->You would be extremely foolish not to have that car PPI'd fully at a reputable Porsche Specialty shop prior to any purchase decision

Old 09-28-2023, 04:16 PM
jaimster
Advanced

in agreement .
actually spoke to Dough from Zims Autotechnik here in the DFW north Texas area ,
very nice gentleman explained what would involve getting into the car's computer to get camshaft deviation values and ignition Revs of great importance to me. paint undercarriage inspection all that good stuff..
I m doing the visual inspection on the car Sunday afternoon is when the owner would be available then we coordinate the PPI looking at mid week Next week

if car looks and drives as good as it LOOKS on the Autotrader site .. I want stay positive but grounded and excited lol
groovzilla (09-28-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 04:38 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

in agreement .
actually spoke to Dough from Zims Autotechnik here in the DFW north Texas area ,
very nice gentleman explained what would involve getting into the car's computer to get camshaft deviation values and ignition Revs of great importance to me. paint undercarriage inspection all that good stuff..
I m doing the visual inspection on the car Sunday afternoon is when the owner would be available then we coordinate the PPI looking at mid week Next week
if car looks and drives as good as it LOOKS on the Autotrader site .. I want stay positive but grounded and excited lol
**I saw your Post on the Turbo Forum ---->make sure you post a question in the Turbo Forum regarding what updates needed to be done to these cars.I remember something having to do with cooling system needs coolant lines "Pinned" and also some other important things to look for on 997 Turbo

Keep us posted - Seems like a very good deal IF the car checks out very well after PPI. Also remember PPI is great negotiating tool for any repairs or services it may need/tires/battery/brakes/etc

Last edited by groovzilla; 09-28-2023 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 12' 997 S new purchase PPI or DIY