Sponsored by:

OMG BAT

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 05:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
.....therefore, your 997 weekend driver may be starting to get recognized as a value as it get older
Most would probably prefer a weekend driver with higher miles to one that's been beaten to death on and off the track with lower miles. Many first time buyers only look at the mileage though and don't look into what kind of miles the car has. I bet a lot of first time buyers don't know what a DME reading is and that includes me. Call me stupid, ignorant or whatever but as has been said, that first 911 purchase is an emotional one and I bought my first 997 (-06 C4S) sight unseen from a private seller without a PPI after I found exactly what I was looking for.

After some rather lengthy conversations with him I learned a lot about him. What he did for a living (which he volunteered), how he had driven the 997 which only had 2,000 miles on it since he also owned a Ferrari, a Lambo and a Cayenne which was his daily driver. So he didn't come across as someone abusing his cars. More like a car buff caring carefully for what was in his garage. Which he promised to show me when picking up the car.

Everything he told me about himself and the car he was selling checked out and I guess I lucked out. The car was absolutely flawless and exactly as described (with maint. records). Actually better than described since it had a $3,500 Tubi exhaust on it that he didn't even mention. Isn't there an old saying along the lines of....."you buy the seller as much as the car". Whatever the exact wording it worked out for me with some due diligence.
The following 5 users liked this post by sandwedge:
FlatsixS (09-13-2023), Rallybill (09-15-2023), soundbehindyou (09-13-2023), stiles_s (09-12-2023), trassalpl (09-12-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 11:13 AM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

70k for a .1 makes no sense unless the car has some great color combo and is loaded with options. Note a recent 997.2 BAT sale at 71k with buyer's premium, MT S in Guards Red and 24k miles. A very rare car and a .2 at that.
The following users liked this post:
tech_auto (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 04:52 PM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
On the RL BAT Guessing Game, we follow most 997 Auctions. I rarely see any bidder mentioning inspectiong the cars prior to auction end.
Bottom line, if you want to spend top dollar on any sportscar buy on BAT.
IMO smart practical buyers will buy a west coast Calif/AZ/OR/WA car in person from private seller and perform PPI/Bore Scope Inspection prior to purchase.

Has worked well for me over past 37 years

This of course doesn't include a rare collector car that seem to be prevelant on BAT/Hemmings/etc. Most owners of these rare breeds only sell on Auction.
During this last few years “specially with the pandemic effect” seems that a big bunch of 911s offered for sale are now treated as “collector item” by sellers attracted to put only on BaT… which I think is ending always overpriced in a system rigged to favor bidding craziness. Market scarcity (on propose) and the growing popularity of 911s lately is taking its toll at everything that is badged 911.

Last edited by FlatsixS; 09-13-2023 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: OMG BAT