Sponsored by:

Parts Cost - Jake Raby - Scarcity and Cost

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 05:53 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
...getting functional parts and equipment is a constant challenge...
Have you been able to correlate the the bad parts to any particular country (or state or manufacturing plant, etc.) of origin?
Old 09-09-2023, 06:02 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
I can empathize with everything in that video. I work service in the commercial HVAC industry and getting functional parts and equipment is a constant challenge. By that I mean brand new parts and equipment. Everything made is a complete POS. Doesn't matter, top name manufacturers or not. Getting a large piece of equipment installed and working right at start up is 50/50 at best. There's almost always something wrong with it. QC is nonexistent.

It's almost impossible to make money on jobs. How do you cost in warranty work for defective equipment on a bid? Is it a couple hours labor or days? It's always a loser even if you go back after the manufacturer for reimbursement. They never pay your full costs and make you justify every penny when it's their screw up. Plus the look on a customers face when you tell them their brand new Air Conditioning equipment doesn't work and the fix is weeks or even months away, priceless. Trane, Carrier, York, doesn't matter. Same problems either one. Bad engineering, sloppy or negligent manufacturing or bad components at start up. Tells me it was never tested before it was shipped.

Same story for replacement parts. Bad out of the box or fails in a day or two. That means call backs, warranty calls and that service call made $0 or even negative dollars. The tech does everything right and we still lose.

It's a tough business these days
I hear ya... can you say CAPACITOR? When the temps hit above 100 degrees last month, both of my capacitors decided to go out on the upstair and downstairs units. This seems like common thing and so I bought extras, house turned quickly into an oven and when your wife is not happy, aint nobody happy. I fixed these things in the middle of the night before.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:53 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by jchapura
Have you been able to correlate the the bad parts to any particular country (or state or manufacturing plant, etc.) of origin?
No, not really. Most of the parts come from China or Mexico. A lot of the production and assembly of equipment has gone to Mexico and has been there a while. I've seen quality issues of parts and equipment from Mexico for over ten years now. Lots of motors are made there for whatever reason. For a while I thought Chinese made parts were better than from Mex. Covid changed all that. Anything out of China is a mess.

All these parts go into manufacturing new equipment and the QC sucks. The prices have gone up 30-40%, there's typically a 6 month lead time and they're just pushing them out the door. Brand new equipment missing PC boards, flat on charge, or just don't work. We started up 3 large roof top units last week. 1 of the 3 was flat with an obvious leaking expansion valve. It's impossible that it could have been charged correctly from the factory but that's how they shipped it. They just don't care. That's the HVAC biz these days.

Yeah, capacitors take a beating from the heat. Luckily they're about the most inexpensive part to replace.

Quick Reply: Parts Cost - Jake Raby - Scarcity and Cost