Sponsored by:

Clamshell latch stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 11:50 AM
ExileOnMainSt
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clamshell latch stuck

I have had quite the saga with this top over the past two months. It’s been back-and-forth to the dealer like six times replaced a bunch of stuff. Including the drive motor. I’m done with the dealership, they can’t fix it after many tries and scratched my car badly enough they had to do painting. Now it’s broken again.

This time seems a bit different though the latch won’t open on the passenger side , Previously would get the warning that the top was not in closed position. The dealership kept throwing parts at it. Perhaps this latch was not closing before but now it won’t open.

I know this function is part of the electrical motor not the hydraulic top motor. Any tips on how to get this to unlatch so I can even get in there to take a look?

Old 07-30-2023, 02:57 PM
ExileOnMainSt
Track Day

So I can see the hook mechanism working on the driver’s side and not moving on the passenger. I’m assuming the push rod is not connected but it’s impossible to reach. Will taking off the rear deck behind the passenger seats let me get to it? Or do I need to remove the speaker panel in the backseat?
Old 07-30-2023, 03:02 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry for your troubles. I've been following your threads. Thanks to your post I went and lubricated all the joints on my clam shell, and now it's opening and shutting properly. I understand this doesn't help, but your post have helped me and Im certain others.

The following users liked this post:
ExileOnMainSt (07-30-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 10:02 AM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

This happened to me not too long ago. It was the convertible drive transmission unit and I needed to have it replaced…took it to my Indy and they took care of it. Not a cheap fix. With labor it was about $3800. But they did also did a full service for the top as well. Seems to be operating much smoother and faster than before.

Last edited by Scalp_em; 07-31-2023 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:20 AM
ExileOnMainSt
Track Day

Originally Posted by Scalp_em
This happened to me not too long ago. It was the convertible drive transmission unit and I needed to have it replaced…took it to my Indy and they took care of it. Not a cheap fix. With labor it was about $3800. But they did also did a full service for the top as well. Seems to be operating much smoother and faster than before.

interesting. I have actually had that drive unit replaced at the stealership as part of this saga. However I thought the drive unit was driven by the hydraulic top motor and there was a separate electric motor that did all the unlocking and clamshells activity

Old 07-31-2023, 04:26 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

So interesting that you said that they already replaced it….when they were repairing mine they had to send back the first replacement they ordered because it had failed right after they installed it and got another one…apparently they don’t make them like they used to, according to my indy…if the repair shop “replaced” that part, the new one may have failed…it’s worth a shot to check if that was the case. Good luck.
Originally Posted by ExileOnMainSt
interesting. I have actually had that drive unit replaced at the stealership as part of this saga. However I thought the drive unit was driven by the hydraulic top motor and there was a separate electric motor that did all the unlocking and clamshells activity
Old 07-31-2023, 04:38 PM
ExileOnMainSt
Track Day

Originally Posted by Scalp_em
So interesting that you said that they already replaced it….when they were repairing mine they had to send back the first replacement they ordered because it had failed right after they installed it and got another one…apparently they don’t make them like they used to, according to my indy…if the repair shop “replaced” that part, the new one may have failed…it’s worth a shot to check if that was the case. Good luck.
I am trying not to go back to the dealership and have a good Indy shop in Encinitas California. I hope it’s something else because I don’t want to go deal with that dealership anymore.

Are you sure the drive controls those latches?
Old 07-31-2023, 05:26 PM
cyran
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't have advice, but if your indy in Encinitas doesn't have expertise in repairing the cabriolet mechanisms, I'd call Black Forest in Kearny Mesa or Vollig in Miramar to see if they are comfortable/confident working with those parts.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:39 PM
ExileOnMainSt
Track Day

Originally Posted by cyran
I don't have advice, but if your indy in Encinitas doesn't have expertise in repairing the cabriolet mechanisms, I'd call Black Forest in Kearny Mesa or Vollig in Miramar to see if they are comfortable/confident working with those parts.

Thanks. I like Black Forest too. They actually did some of the first work and then I went to the dealer. In retrospect I should have just had them do the whole thing.

Quick Reply: Clamshell latch stuck