Sponsored by:

Best options for Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 01:02 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,519 Likes on 651 Posts
Default Best options for Carplay

I absolutely despise the Porsche Tax and will not pay it unless I have no choice. This particularly applies to aftermarket suppliers trying to cash in on Porsche owner’s reckless spending habits. With that in mind, I’m taking a look at Carplay/Android Auto options.

My car’s a 997.2 with PCM 3.0 so there is no PCCM+ option available yet (unlike the 997.1). However even if there was it’s $1600 price tag is absurd. For all intents and purposes it’s an Aliexpress unit in a Porsche box with about a four-fold markup. And as the comments here on Rennlist note, it has plenty of bugs with not much customer support, so it’s the worst of both worlds. Chinese design quality and service at German prices. Ugghhh.

Carplay Add-on Options for PCM 3.0 and UP

The most viable options for me is the Carplay add-on to the factory head unit. All of these models handle video the same way in that they use an add-on circuit board to hijack the PCMs screen when in Carplay mode. Audio is handled differently in the units, some use the AUX input with an analog signal, other use the MOST input with a digital signal. In theory digital should be higher quality but it depends on how its implemented. Maybe it’s out there but I’ve seen no hard evidence the digital input sound quality is actually is any better.

There are three variations of the units; remote Carplay box with digital input, remote Carplay box with analog input, and single Carplay circuit board with analog input. The prices vary wildly from $590 down to $235. Here are the options out there ordered by price:

NM Automotive (~$590 with shipping from the UK) – Uses a board installed in the HU with a remote Carplay box, audio is analog input via the AUX function. Has a reputation for good customer service which it ought to have for that high price. The website does not show pictures of the components, and the fact sheet is vague on details. I like transparency so this is a problem for me. Plus it’s obviously overpriced and aimed at the “more money than sense” Porsche owner.

No photo for this one as I couldn't find a picture of the components.

Edit: I may have been too harsh in my snark as guys in the comments have convinced me that for many people the reduced headaches are worth the added cost of the NM setup. My cheapness is stronger than my pain threshold so I wouldn't go that route, but I respect their opinion.

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/shop-...roid-auto-kits

Mr 12 Volt ($500) – Ridiculous name aside, this is a serious offering. It uses a board installed in the HU, a remote Carplay box, audio is digital via the MOST connector. The website has good details regarding performance and components. Comments on Rennlist are generally positive with some complaints issues with the Canbus interface for the back-up camera option in particular. Has a US support person who’s a regular on the boards here. IMO this unit is still overpriced for what you get, though it’s starting to approach "not ridiculously priced".

https://www.mr12volt.com/collections/porsche

Edit: Forgot to mention Rennkit Dave sells his own private label version of the Mr 12 Volt called the "BTR-3-3.0" for $490. Good details on his website and those who have dealt with Dave know he's a stand-up guy. Scroll about halfway down the page at the link:

https://rennkit.com/product-info/bluetooth-retrofit-kit/

Joyeauto ($375) – Joyeauto is as close to what could be called a “name brand” in the Chinese Android HU world, though it still includes all the bizarre quirks and demeaning customer service we’ve come to know and love from China. It uses a board installed in the HU, a remote Carplay box, audio is analog via the AUX function. There’s plenty of documentation online though it’s long on claims and short on specifics. There are pretty good videos available online that walks the DIY’er through the install process. It’s available from numerous suppliers and prices vary wildly so shop around. This Ebay seller (in China) is $375 and about the cheapest you’ll find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354861490148

Joyeauto clone ($325) – This unit appears to be identical to the Joyeauto unit functionally though the remote box packaging is different. Fifty bucks cheaper though…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364298056051

The Single board El-cheapo version ($235) – Always looking for a bargain, this one has caught my eye. Unlike all the others the Carplay functions are built into the board installed in the HU and there is no remote box. A new HU clamshell case replaces the top of the HU box to allow the cables that would normally connect to the remote box to attach to the board directly. It claims to have all the same functions as the more expensive units though as usual with China not much in specifics.

Putting everything on one board does raise concerns about audio noise as there’s not much shielding. I have no evidence this is actually a problem, but it’s a potential issue. You’ll have to buy it from Aliexpress as far as I can tell it’s not on Ebay (yet). Several sites say it will not work with a manual transmission which I suspect is related to the same Canbus issues discussed on Mr 12 Volt.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805289910291.html

Good video here showing the installation process here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc7psA5FY9c

So there you have it, prices ranging from $235 to $590. The old adage “you get what you pay for” may be true here but I don’t think so. I suspect the Porsche tax is at work as some of the offerings appear to be directly aimed at the luxury car buyer when comparable offerings for other cars are cheaper. As expected, customer support usually decreases with price, but if you can think for yourself and like to figure things out that shouldn’t be a problem.

I’m likely going to buy the El Cheapo version and give it a whirl. I’ll report back once it’s in.

Last edited by PV997; 07-13-2023 at 12:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
jberilla (07-14-2023), RennKit-Dave (07-13-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 01:05 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

NM Automotive was what I went with.

No reverse wire trigger as it uses the Canbus and their customer service is top notch.

Instructions were great and the only question I had was answered quickly.

I’ve had mine for over a year and it’s been flawless.
The following 2 users liked this post by ATX_Native:
myw (06-24-2024), towbar (07-12-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 01:38 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
NM Automotive was what I went with.

No reverse wire trigger as it uses the Canbus and their customer service is top notch.

Instructions were great and the only question I had was answered quickly.

I’ve had mine for over a year and it’s been flawless.
Did you DIY or have a shop install it? I've heard great things about his customer support which is certainly worth paying extra dollars, how much extra is the question. I'm cheap by nature so I cringe at his price though. I don't mind a few manageable headaches to save a few hundred, realize others may see it differently though.
Old 07-11-2023, 01:49 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
Did you DIY or have a shop install it? I've heard great things about his customer support which is certainly worth paying extra dollars, how much extra is the question. I'm cheap by nature so I cringe at his price though. I don't mind a few manageable headaches to save a few hundred, realize others may see it differently though.
I DIY’ed. The instructions were easy to follow and if you’ve ever built a PC in the past with ribbon cables, it’s easy.

Another local Rennlister saw I was buying this unit and he had one in his closet he had bought previously.

He PM’ed me and we ended up setting up an install day.

Went over to his house and we knocked both of ours in tandem one morning.

The following 2 users liked this post by ATX_Native:
EVOMMM (07-11-2023), myw (06-24-2024)
Old 07-11-2023, 02:27 PM
NoWANG
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in the market as well and want the ability to add camera's front and rear. Any good DIY on installing the cameras?
Old 07-11-2023, 07:25 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with Anthony at 9xx. He came out and we installed together the carplay plus the rear camera. Anthony can also recommend a local installer. I'm also in SoCal (Manhattan Beach) and if you want to come check it out let me know.

https://9xx.com/collections/997-2-2009-2012

The following users liked this post:
Spike Speakus (08-14-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 07:38 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by tanger
I went with Anthony at 9xx.
https://9xx.com/collections/997-2-2009-2012
More direct link to the product - https://9xx.com/collections/997-2-20...uto4-for-pcm30

$900...
Spike Speakus (07-12-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 07:59 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NoWANG
Im in the market as well and want the ability to add camera's front and rear. Any good DIY on installing the cameras?
Not sure about a DIY but all of these units support front and rear cameras. The issues I've seen reported have to do with Canbus control of the rear camera. If things are working correctly the unit will automatically switch to the rear camera when in reverse, and the guide lines will curve when the steering wheel is turned. The info needed for both of these is on the Canbus.

There's comments online about this not working correctly for many of these units. The back-up plan is to disable Canbus control (via the settings menu) and control it directly using a trigger tapped into the the car's reverse light. This makes it automatically switch to the rear camera but doesn't fix the steering/curved line issue.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I think (not positive) on MT's reverse doesn't show up on the Canbus so you have to use the reverse light trigger to automatically switch to the rear camera. At least that's what some of the suppliers state.

Last edited by PV997; 07-11-2023 at 09:16 PM.
NoWANG (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 08:16 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
More direct link to the product - https://9xx.com/collections/997-2-20...uto4-for-pcm30

$900...
I forgot to include 9XX but that price makes it a non-starter for me. He claims it's superior but has odd statements on his website such as "Each SmartAuto4 is custom programmed per VIN provided" that no other suppliers state or require. He also requires the buyer to attest they have obtained professional installation and flatly states "no returns or refunds". Last off, he doesn't have any pictures of the components on his website (aside from the Carplay module) and there's no specs or detailed information. I'm big on transparency and open source, so all of this stuff raises red flags for me. The VIN matching makes no sense that I can think of other than preventing someone from moving it to another vehicle.

I would love to be proven wrong on this stuff and hope 9XX will drop in the comments and justify the high price and the odd caveats.

Last edited by PV997; 07-11-2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:08 PM
vnelsontx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, I went with NM Automotive after reading several threads and researching the same options you have shared. I'll gladly pay a little more $ when there is great customer service. I did the install myself and the extremely thorough directions were a breeze (it helped to watch several YT videos during my research) biggest thing is take your time on the ribbon cables and reassembly. Reverse camera via CANBUS was a big motivator for me.

I wish the there was a higher pixel display to swap on the factory head unit but I have CarPlay finally (BT via iPod adapter wasn't an option since the Y-cable is impossible to find).

Like anything, there are many options and you have to find the one that works best for you. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!
Old 07-12-2023, 01:02 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vnelsontx
OP, I went with NM Automotive after reading several threads and researching the same options you have shared. I'll gladly pay a little more $ when there is great customer service. I did the install myself and the extremely thorough directions were a breeze (it helped to watch several YT videos during my research) biggest thing is take your time on the ribbon cables and reassembly. Reverse camera via CANBUS was a big motivator for me.

I wish the there was a higher pixel display to swap on the factory head unit but I have CarPlay finally (BT via iPod adapter wasn't an option since the Y-cable is impossible to find).

Like anything, there are many options and you have to find the one that works best for you. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!
I get it as not only is Nick's reputation great, but he was the first one to take what was then a new product and package it with comprehensible instructions and quality customer service. He recognized a niche and provided a reliable solution for his customers. Pretty much the opposite of how things usually work when buying directly from China. Mr 12 Volt is doing the same thing (though I still think the marketing guy who came up with that name should be fired).

Not bagging on it but I'm thinking that now that this stuff is better understood there may be cheaper solutions for people, particularly those that are a bit tech savvy. I figure for $235 the cheap option is worth a try, particularly if we can work out some of the kinks and post them here so people don't have to slog through it themselves.

Last edited by PV997; 07-12-2023 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:16 AM
towbar
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve used NM’s kit on my 2017 Macan and then on my latest 997.2. I added a reversing camera to the 997.2.
There were no issues apart having the confidence to pull the dashboard apart on the Macan….😂
NM backup is golden.
You send an email query and Nick always answers very very quickly. Not bad considering I’m on the other side of the planet.
The reverse camera option is quite easy - after again having the confidence to drill a hole in your rear bumper.(buy it at the same time to avoid second postage costs.- the one Nick supplies works as good as it can)
The only minor niggle is the low resolution of the standard screen if you’re comparing it too a ‘modern’ car screen, but everything works as it should.
compared to the Macan it’s an easy install. The supplied instructions manual is brilliant.
Remember that the PCM controls all sorts of stuff in the background like the seating positions and memories etc. buy by recommendation.
Old 07-12-2023, 12:41 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
I forgot to include 9XX but that price makes it a non-starter for me. He claims it's superior but has odd statements on his website such as "Each SmartAuto4 is custom programmed per VIN provided" that no other suppliers state or require.
NM Automotive does the exact same thing, they ask for your car’s configuration when ordering and they confirm it before shipping.

Its the only way they can configure the CanBus signals for transmission type for the reverse camera wire.
Spike Speakus (08-14-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 12:48 PM
Nate R
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I've been running the NM Auto unit for about a year and a half. Very happy with it. Installed it myself in an afternoon. Recently my entire PCM died so it's off for repairs BUT I would recommend the kit. Great instructions and customer service. Only complaint is that I wish it had more volume. Need the factory aux input for it to work. Had to order that through Suncoast and get it dealer installed first. Also looking at head units to replace the PCM (base radio) if anyone has any good recommendations. Made a separate thread a bit back for that and not a lot of data available (please PM me if you do).
Old 07-12-2023, 01:03 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Digging into it a little more it's pretty clear there are two distinct platforms and all of these offerings are variations on these two versions.

Mr 12 Volt/Rennkit are distinctly different from the others in they offer a digital interface, wireless Mirrorlink, and a side camera option. The others (NM Automotive, Joyeauto, the el cheapo version) have an analog interface, only offer wired Mirrorlink (via USB), and only have front/back cameras. None of these things is that important to me, but from a pure scorecard approach, the Mr 12 Volt/Rennkit are superior. As I mentioned above, theoretically a digital interface should be better but in the real world I suspect there's little discernable difference.

Note that this is as best I can tell from publicly available info. 9XX has very limited info on their site but I suspect they are the same platform as NM Automotive/Joyeauto from what they state. I have to say that 9XX's limited public info, high price, and "no returns or refunds" policy are extremely off-putting. I would not buy from someone who won't tell me what's in it then refuse to let me return it if I'm unhappy.

Aside from those differences all of these units seem functionally equivalent, at least from a hardware perspective. They may have custom firmware that makes one unit less buggy than another. The units have a firmware upgrade provision (via SD card) though that only helps if firmware upgrades are offered.

So the big price differences seem to be mainly based on seller mark-ups presumably to cover improved instructions and customer service. People will have to judge for themselves how much this is worth to them.
RennKit-Dave (07-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Best options for Carplay