Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best options for Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 11:18 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 412 Likes on 219 Posts

As soon as my car is back from the paint shop, I am getting this installed: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...f?v=1701103784
Old 05-08-2024, 11:19 AM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
I actually canceled my order because the manufacturer said that it "might not" work with manual cars. They couldn't provide any details as to whether or not it was related to a CANBUS issue.
The issue with stuff made in China is they don't have answers because they make everything without checking the actual vehicle it's for.
The following users liked this post:
myw (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 11:48 AM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I suspect the manual transmission has a problem getting CANBus info for the backup camera. Well done on the rest!!!
I personally know it’s not an issue with the Unichip boxes (Unichip/9XX/NM Automotive).

When I ordered mine from NM Auto they asked for VIN and did some programming so the camera comes on when shifting into reverse in my manual car.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:59 AM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
I personally know it’s not an issue with the Unichip boxes (Unichip/9XX/NM Automotive).

When I ordered mine from NM Auto they asked for VIN and did some programming so the camera comes on when shifting into reverse in my manual car.
It's crazy that you have to provide the VIN number to get the module working with the car. It should just work no matter what kind of transmission you have. Everything should be included as a basic requirement, whether it's manual or automatic. This is exactly what happens when you buy something made in China. If something isn't programmed right, you have to send it back for replacement. It's not supposed to be this way it's not an engine or transmission part
Old 05-08-2024, 12:38 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DashLynx
It's crazy that you have to provide the VIN number to get the module working with the car. It should just work no matter what kind of transmission you have. Everything should be included as a basic requirement, whether it's manual or automatic. This is exactly what happens when you buy something made in China. If something isn't programmed right, you have to send it back for replacement. It's not supposed to be this way it's not an engine or transmission part
You don’t buy the Unichip boxes directly from China, you buy them from Unichip, NM Auto or 9XX.

As to the why, I dunno.

This the way Unichip built their box and the consumer can decide to go with a unit that switches the reverse camera on with CanBus instead of a reverse signal wire splice.

We live in a free market society.

This seems reasonable to me but if it’s not reasonable to you, don’t buy their solution.

As an example my SmartTop Module is programmable at home, to give my car horn beeps when locking, pass side mirror dip on reverse and one touch up on the passenger side window.

On that module you have to program the module at home to select which features you want and even customize the features.

As an example if you want the horn beep upon locking, you select Option 3 and move the selection from 0 to 1, in effect programming the box to find the signal on CanBus and modify the action of the car.

I am guessing Unichip/9XX/NM Auto have a software suite to code each box to read signals, there might be a chance that Unichip doesn’t want their software floating around or users to make changes. Who knows the why.

As I stated in the other thread, 9XX and NM Automotive aren’t having reported issues on here with any regularity and not all of these CarPlay boxes operate the same.

In your worst case scenario of the box being accidentally being programmed incorrectly, I am guessing a simple email to NM Automotive saying “Hey Nick, the reverse isn’t working” and he could ship a new box or reprogram the one you have after shipping it back.

My iPhone and Apple Watch are built in China, yet I don’t have to deal with “China”, I deal with Apple if something isn’t right or breaks.

This would be the same.

Last edited by ATX_Native; 05-08-2024 at 12:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MKTO (06-20-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 12:49 PM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

You don’t buy the Unichip boxes directly from China, you buy them from Unichip, NM Auto or 9XX.

As to the why, I dunno.

This the way Unichip built their box and the consumer can decide to go with a unit that switches the reverse camera on with CanBus instead of a reverse signal wire splice.

We live in a free market society.

This seems reasonable to me but if it’s not reasonable to you, don’t buy their solution.

As an example my SmartTop Module is programmable at home, to give my car horn beeps when locking, pass side mirror dip on reverse and one touch up on the passenger side window.

On that module you have to program the module at home to select which features you want and even customize the features.

As an example if you want the horn beep upon locking, you select Option 3 and move the selection from 0 to 1, in effect programming the box to find the signal on CanBus and modify the action of the car.

I am guessing Unichip/9XX/NM Auto have a software suite to code each box to read signals, there might be a chance that Unichip doesn’t want their software floating around or users to make changes. Who knows the why.

As I stated in the other thread, 9XX and NM Automotive aren’t having reported issues on here with any regularity and not all of these CarPlay boxes operate the same.

In your worst case scenario of the box being accidentally being programmed incorrectly, I am guessing a simple email to NM Automotive saying “Hey Nick, the reverse isn’t working” and he could ship a new box or reprogram the one you have after shipping it back.

My iPhone and Apple Watch are built in China, yet I don’t have to deal with “China”, I deal with Apple if something isn’t right or breaks.

This would be the same.
Your iPhone and Apple Watch, they're made over in China, Like, at top factories using only original components selected by Apple . But here's the thing, a lot of those carplay interface They're put together with cheap parts that don't hold up well. And guess who ends up paying for it? Us, the consumers. We're shelling out twice or even three times for stuff that barely lasts. Like, you're lucky if you get 18 months out of 'em, some don't even make it past six. And why's that? It's those low-quality components inside, they're just not good quality.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:05 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Your iPhone and Apple Watch, they're made over in China, Like, at top factories using only original components selected by Apple . But here's the thing, a lot of those carplay interface They're put together with cheap parts that don't hold up well. And guess who ends up paying for it? Us, the consumers. We're shelling out twice or even three times for stuff that barely lasts. Like, you're lucky if you get 18 months out of 'em, some don't even make it past six. And why's that? It's those low-quality components inside, they're just not good quality.
More China product bashing with no specific knowledge of the products you’re talking about.

9XX is a paid vendor here and has been installing the Unichip units for years in US Customer cars.

Seems a bit reckless to bash the product that 9XX sells and installs without any proof of your claims with respect the the product he sells and installs.

On top of this you have no direct hands on experience with any of these boxes and as far as the Unichip boxes, you haven’t provided any proof of product failures, PCM bricking, issues with customer support, or shoddy design/implementation.

You’re just sitting up in the stands booing loudly as people are trying to talk about these things, it’s off putting.

The bonkers thing here is your company doesn’t offer a solution for our cars.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:10 PM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

More China product bashing with no specific knowledge of the products you’re talking about.

9XX is a paid vendor here and has been installing the Unichip units for years in US Customer cars.

Seems a bit reckless to bash the product that 9XX sells and installs without any proof of your claims with respect the the product he sells and installs.

On top of this you have no direct hands on experience with any of these boxes and as far as the Unichip boxes, you haven’t provided any proof of product failures, PCM bricking, issues with customer support, or shoddy design/implementation.

You’re just sitting up in the stands booing loudly as people are trying to talk about these things, it’s off putting.

The bonkers thing here is your company doesn’t offer a solution for our cars.
who is 9XX?
Old 05-08-2024, 02:15 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

who is 9XX?
I have explained this before in the other thread, 9XX is a business that travels around the US installing these Unichip boxes into customer cars along with a whole host of other upgrades like steering wheels and

He doesn’t sell the boxes to customers directly, instead he sells and installs these boxes on US customer cars along with other upgrades like steering wheels, rear cameras, etc.

https://9xx.com/collections/997-2-20...uto4-for-pcm30

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/189969-atwong1.html

He is well regarded on the forums as he has been at it for a long time.

In the other thread I said that the fact that he travels across the US sells/installs these with a warranty is pretty telling as to the quality of the Unichip boxes.

Also the lack of negative feedback on the Unichip boxes on Rennlist with hundreds of apes like myself installing these over the years is also an indicator.

I didn’t go this route since I didn’t want to wait for him to come around to Austin, so I bought the same Unichip box from NM Automotive in the UK and installed it on my own car using their instructions. Nick at NM Automotive sells and installs these boxes for customers in the UK as well.

Again not all boxes are created equal.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:18 PM
DashLynx
Former Vendor

I have explained this before in the other thread, 9XX is a business that travels around the US installing these Unichip boxes into customer cars along with a whole host of other upgrades like steering wheels and

He doesn’t sell the boxes to customers directly, instead he sells and installs these boxes on US customer cars along with other upgrades like steering wheels, rear cameras, etc.

https://9xx.com/collections/997-2-20...uto4-for-pcm30

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/189969-atwong1.html

He is well regarded on the forums as he has been at it for a long time.

In the other thread I said that the fact that he travels across the US sells/installs these with a warranty is pretty telling as to the quality of the Unichip boxes.

Also the lack of negative feedback on the Unichip boxes on Rennlist with hundreds of apes like myself installing these over the years is also an indicator.

I didn’t go this route since I didn’t want to wait for him to come around to Austin, so I bought the same Unichip box from NM Automotive in the UK and installed it on my own car using their instructions. Nick at NM Automotive sells and installs these boxes for customers in the UK as well.

Again not all boxes are created equal.
The issue with products made in China is that there's a ton of competition. See, when everyone's making the same thing, they're all trying to outdo each other on price. Problem is, to make their product cheaper, they end up using crappier components. So, instead of getting better with each batch, these products actually get worse. It's not like iPhones, which are just put together in China using top-notch factories. Those CarPlay units? They're often low quality because it's all about cutting costs to beat the competition.

We get thousands of emails and calls every single week from people complaining about brands they bought from China. They don't last, and unfortunately, this happens everyday.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:08 AM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodos9865
How hard is it to install a rear camera? I have a 997.2 (2009), manual. I’m leaning towards the NM unit.
I posted my experience installing a backup camera on the Mr 12 Volt thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post19410204
Old 05-10-2024, 12:24 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I installed Mr12Volt in my 997.2 turbo. Wireless CarPlay. Great instructions and customer service from Roman. I'd buy from him. (no affiliation)

https://acsbyroman.com
Old 06-06-2024, 10:27 PM
MeSteve
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of the mr12volt vendors actually list the 2012 997.2 C2S as compatible. Is this true?
Old 06-19-2024, 06:25 PM
Achilles_Lux
7th Gear

Thanks a lot @PV997 for sharing all this!

i am still torn between nmautomotive and mr12volt. Which will sound the best (and efficiency of the EQ): analog or digital?

thanks!
Old 06-20-2024, 10:00 AM
MKTO
2nd Gear

I installed the NM Automotive CarPlay solution a few weeks ago on my 997.2 C4S manual and so far it has been great. I can't compare with Mr12volt but the sound with NM Automotive from the stock Bose system is much improved to my ears.

The toughest part of the DIY process was sorting out the cables at the back of the PCM so that it fits snugly back into its spot - not much room back there.

Quick Reply: Best options for Carplay