Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mr. 12 volt Carplay for PCM 3.0 (P2000 PCM30MD) install – short review, one problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 06:41 PM
llopes1966
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's how I did mine as well
The following users liked this post:
Dino 987 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 01:09 PM
Stoo991
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered off your site Roman, looking forward to installing!
Old 04-10-2024, 08:15 PM
Stoo991
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 Spot to tuck the box?

Anyone install this on a 991.1 and find an easy spot to tuck the Mr 12Volt Box - in the install video they appear to just tuck it under the panel under the steering wheel but that's not an option on my 2016 without having to remove that panel (which appears to be a fairly involved process).
Old 04-10-2024, 08:21 PM
Dino 987
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 991 Spot to tuck the box?

Originally Posted by Stoo991
Anyone install this on a 991.1 and find an easy spot to tuck the Mr 12Volt Box - in the install video they appear to just tuck it under the panel under the steering wheel but that's not an option on my 2016 without having to remove that panel (which appears to be a fairly involved process).
Does your vehicle have an air duct on the driver side just in front of the steering wheel panel? If so, rest it on top of the air duct opening.

not easy to find a good home for these boxes.

Last edited by Dino 987; 04-10-2024 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:50 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino 987
Does your vehicle have an air duct on the driver side just in front of the steering wheel panel? If so, rest it on top of the air duct opening.

not easy to find a good home for these boxes.
3 top spots, though we have had people get very creative...

Behind the center console by the firewall

Inside the steering column to the left side (usually for manually adjustered columns)

Above the vents above the pedals

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

FREE INSTALL KIT AND CAR CHARGER WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 04-10-2024, 08:59 PM
Dino 987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
3 top spots, though we have had people get very creative...

Behind the center console by the firewall

Inside the steering column to the left side (usually for manually adjustered columns)

Above the vents above the pedals
I have mine above the vent above gas peddle. 987.2 Boxster. I first inserted the cables and pointed the connections down to the floor, then lifted the box straight up and angled it forward and tucked the connection cables over the bottom steering panel and then rested the box flat and slid it over the air duct. It will be partially over the lower panel and air duct at first.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:48 PM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

I called up Roman mid-week last week to confirm which PCM 3.0 box to order as I was a little confused about the options for microphone. After placing my order from the Mr 12 Volt site the kit was delivered Saturday along with the free install kit and the free charger. Thanks go to Roman for his quick response and patience explaining the kit to me.

I started installation Saturday afternoon and wrapped it up Sunday after dinner. Total time was about 8 hours - but there were two reasons it took me so long. First reason - upon initial power up with the PCM just setting in the dash and cables connected to the Mr 12 Volt box - the PCM 3.0 screen was white. I double checked connections with no change. I then removed the PCM from the dash and opened it back up, removed the board and rechecked the ribbon cables - I found one that was suspect and didn't look like I had seated it correctly. I reinstalled everything and had the same white screen issue. I called it quits for the day and went back at it Sunday after lunch. I took the unit out again and disassembled it and found upon my 2nd attempt - I had again not seated a ribbon cable cleanly and it was cockeyed. After reassembly and hooking up everything for the third time - upon power up I got the Porsche Crest startup screen! After connecting via bluetooth from my phone I was able to select carplay and my iPhone music library was visible from the PCM! I was also able to pull up Waze navigation and use the microphone (which I had ordered separately from Amazon) to enable Siri!

The second reason why install took so long - I had decided to install a backup camera as part of this project. Routing the cable from the back end of the car through the passenger tail light grommet and into the rear cabin area of the car is NOT easy. I got aggravated trying to route the cabling - finally called on my wife to help me out and with her help we were able to feed a stiff wire from the rear taillight into the passenger compartment which allowed me to tie some strong string and pull the cabling from the car inside and into the tail light area for hooking up the video cable and power/ground from the tail light harness.

After confirming operation of the external microphone and the backup camera, I then was able to finagle the wiring harness back into the recesses of the dash and get the PCM unit back in. The main harness and other cables are rather bulky - it took my several attempts to maneuver the harness into position to allow me to get the PCM unit back and in place.

Overall I'm pleased with the product - but the Mr 12 Volt youtube video (at least for the Porsche install) is not as helpful as I expected. I reduced the play speed down to 0.75 and then to 0.50 speed to try and catch some details but the image is just not very clear. It's also not detailed to show how to unlock connectors to change cabling. There are several styles of connectors and almost every one has a different mechanical latch mechanism which just isn't shown on the video. The manual available for download just doesn't have any installation instructions either - it's more of a features/functionality reference. The product would be much better if there was a step by step installation guide to walk through through the project.

I guess I'm spoiled from the documentation for the Sport Chrono gauge replacement product/project offered on the 997research site that I installed about 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by mbatarga; 04-28-2024 at 11:50 PM.
Cchasfee (05-19-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 05:21 AM
Thomas_
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

New firmware out: "PCM3.x_20240528" Fixed a bug that may cause controller buttons and touch screen non responsive after start up.
gdclnfn (06-01-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 09:28 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 319 Posts

Does the Mr12volt kit have Android Auto as wireless or just wired?
Old 08-01-2024, 06:57 PM
tuxkilla
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I just finished the install of my Mr12Volt kit from ACS by Roman and it all went super smooth. Way fast shipping, great ordering experience. Two small things however which might be related to my super, super early 997.2 build. I have a PCM 3.0 with the question mark firmware version, and I have some service records from a long time ago where the original owner ordered bluetooth phone capabilities from the factory but they couldn't apparently get it to work even after a few service tickets. Anyways, after I installed the CarPlay unit, I can talk to it via siri but once I make a call, people cant hear me until I go back to my air pods or the phone speaker. I dont know if this is due to some configuration on my end, but I was assuming that the new version of the MR12V unit would allow communications through the factory mics?
Secondly, I have a PCM with the XM receiver in it and the standoffs weren't the right size (I ordered the XM radio option). I got 3 tall standoffs and 1 short. The two tall standoffs worked to space the board above the XM board, but the remaining tall and short standoffs would not allow me to mount the TV board all the way to the main chassis without tweaking the board. Maybe I didnt do something right, but the documentation is pretty god awful around installation with an XM board so I just took the board out since I haven't used XM in years. No big deal in the end. All in all, having CarPlay is a huge advantage for me and really brings the modern experience into the 997 without all the other bloat and such of a newer 911.
Old 08-01-2024, 07:22 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tuxkilla
I just finished the install of my Mr12Volt kit from ACS by Roman and it all went super smooth. Way fast shipping, great ordering experience. Two small things however which might be related to my super, super early 997.2 build. I have a PCM 3.0 with the question mark firmware version, and I have some service records from a long time ago where the original owner ordered bluetooth phone capabilities from the factory but they couldn't apparently get it to work even after a few service tickets. Anyways, after I installed the CarPlay unit, I can talk to it via siri but once I make a call, people cant hear me until I go back to my air pods or the phone speaker. I dont know if this is due to some configuration on my end, but I was assuming that the new version of the MR12V unit would allow communications through the factory mics?
Secondly, I have a PCM with the XM receiver in it and the standoffs weren't the right size (I ordered the XM radio option). I got 3 tall standoffs and 1 short. The two tall standoffs worked to space the board above the XM board, but the remaining tall and short standoffs would not allow me to mount the TV board all the way to the main chassis without tweaking the board. Maybe I didnt do something right, but the documentation is pretty god awful around installation with an XM board so I just took the board out since I haven't used XM in years. No big deal in the end. All in all, having CarPlay is a huge advantage for me and really brings the modern experience into the 997 without all the other bloat and such of a newer 911.
Hello,

Make sure you connected to pcm and Bluetooth. Also, don't have earpods or other Bluetooth devices around because they will try to pull the audio signal. I have this issue with my poly Bluetooth headset. I just pay it if and everything stays connected.

If you ordered from us and stated you have sat I would have taped included an additional standoff for the 3rd position.

Old 08-01-2024, 07:54 PM
tuxkilla
Rennlist Member

OK so maybe the issue is that I cant connect to PCM. Maybe I need to try and flash a newer version of the PCM firmware. For the standoff, holy crap I missed the taped on 3rd standoff. Whoops. Well, next time I have the PCM out I will reinstall the XM board.
Old 08-01-2024, 07:58 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OK so maybe the issue is that I cant connect to PCM. Maybe I need to try and flash a newer version of the PCM firmware. For the standoff, holy crap I missed the taped on 3rd standoff. Whoops. Well, next time I have the PCM out I will reinstall the XM board.
Reinstall the XM board... Please tell me you did not remove it haha.
​​​
Old 08-02-2024, 12:33 AM
tuxkilla
Rennlist Member

OK here are some pics for whoever else wants to install the MR12Volt unit with the XM board still intact. You need three total long spacers, two are stacked on top of each other on the top right, and the two others screw into the locations where the XM board is originally bolted down.

Old 08-02-2024, 09:38 AM
Dino 987
Intermediate

I had the same issue with one of the tall stand offs. The two over the XM module were fine, the third stand off was a little short and was advised by Roman to bend the board down. That’s what I did but I think I should have shimmed it. The available space for ribbon cables is tight and it may have been better to remove the CD player cover plate to allow for more space. It just pops off. I’m not going to bother with making any changes now. Hopefully I don’t have any issue. It’s been about 6 months all good.

Quick Reply: Mr. 12 volt Carplay for PCM 3.0 (P2000 PCM30MD) install – short review, one problem.