Sponsored by:

PPI and Carfax reports on 2006 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 12:34 PM
pantdino
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI and Carfax reports on 2006 Carrera

What do people think of this PPI report on a 2006 Carrera?
74K miles now, looks like 60K service was never done, driver's door handle mechanism needs usual repair (loose, window doesn't go up all the way), cracked coolant tank, etc.
Looks like this place must have a shop rate of $200 per hour based on the parking brake adjustment cost- is that typical of Indys?

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Carfax 2006 Porche.pdf (510.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-09-2023, 12:50 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

From the PPI looks like it hasn't been serviced or well cared for - Leaking coolant tank/brake flush/etc are imortant items. Most Porsche owners are responsible and take care of issues asap not let them linger.
Owners on a budget or not in financial position to care for the car let things go.
DME over rev report looks good - Is it Automatic Transmission??
**Get a Bore Scope Inspection thru spark plug holes - 2 hr job - Important to make sure there's no Scored Cylinder walls.
Old 07-09-2023, 02:47 PM
pantdino
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
From the PPI looks like it hasn't been serviced or well cared for - Leaking coolant tank/brake flush/etc are imortant items. Most Porsche owners are responsible and take care of issues asap not let them linger.
Owners on a budget or not in financial position to care for the car let things go.
DME over rev report looks good - Is it Automatic Transmission??
**Get a Bore Scope Inspection thru spark plug holes - 2 hr job - Important to make sure there's no Scored Cylinder walls.
Yes, it is a Tip.
That's how I feel too- the last owner didn't have the skills to do the work himself or he would have fixed the broken door handle. The chrome is worn off where he just held it closed with his left hand while he drove. And apparently he didn't have the funds to have the work done. Unfortunately the dealer just changed the oil and filter, so looking at the filter will be useless. However, I hear absolutely no "lifter" sounds that make me think it has any piston skit to bore contact and it blows zero oil smoke on startup

To me, the crack in coolant tank means "could split open at any time and leave you stranded" Is that right?
That and the 3mm of front brake pads remaining would need to be addressed right away, no?

Jim
Old 07-09-2023, 06:15 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Coolant tank should have been done asap - Leaking coolant dribbling all over engine is subpar
Take your time finding one you like - Lots out there that are well maintained/cared for.
In most cases "deals" or lower price can wind up costing a lot of $$$

Last edited by groovzilla; 07-09-2023 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:09 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

I will say this, those prices House list under recommendations are absurd. As an example, front hood shocks for $125? OEM (Stabilus) are $25 online and take five minutes to switch. Cabin filters dirty, major service due $1450? WTF? Dashboard clock $1348? What does that mean, the sport chrono? The recommendations are loaded up with suspect, overpriced service IMO, and House has a reputation for soaking newbies that don't know any better.

Agree with Groov though that there are enough legitimate broken things (coolant tank, fuel door, window, etc.) that the car looks really neglected. How can the front and back wheels be bent? SMH. How did that happen and how can House tell? Serious owners fix these things as they pop up and don't let them accumulate like a fifteen year old BMW.

To be honest though, I'm not sure if things are really that bad or if House is pulling a fast one.

At a bargain basement price with a DIY owner who shops OEM parts this might be a good project. Other than that I'd be extremely cautious.
Old 07-09-2023, 10:37 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

Agree with others. Looks like the prior owner had it for a year. May have gotten spooked when the repair bills on a 16-17 year old car were approaching. Nice wheels and the brown leather has always been a favorite. Certainly hope the car dealer is willing to negotiate a better price with the PPI in hand, but you never know. I am sure there are plenty of 911s in your area for sale.

Once the car is sorted, it should be a good ride. with a 17 year old car, there will always be something to do. DIY is the way to go. Lots of decent videos, help on this forum and paid maintenance subscriptions like alldata..

As a shade tree mech, the only things that catches my eye are:
1. the tranny leak. Unless it is a drain/fill hole seal or the tranny pan gasket, I would probably walk away.
2. body damage. Just need to decide if it is ok with your desires.
3. If CA requires a safety inspection to transfer the title, I would want to know what items on the list would need to be addressed.

Best of luck
Old 07-10-2023, 06:38 AM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 178 Posts

Seems to be a hard pass.
Old 07-10-2023, 12:16 PM
carguy999
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 72 Posts

That bill seems to be wildly all over the place. I'd work with the owner through some of those things - doubtful it's all needed, and if it is most of it should probably go somewhere else.
Old 07-10-2023, 05:59 PM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 172 Posts

If this is a PPI done on a car I'm looking at I'm walking away, even if I'm willing to do a fair bit of the work myself. There's a number of red flags, like bent rims, that suggest this car has lived a hard life. Beyond that is what the PPI doesn't mention, notably the health of the motor. In fact, it looks like this was less of a PPI and more of a CPO checklist that gives a good superficial overview but doesn't really account for much that you couldn't identify with a thorough walkaround.

On top of that House wants $1748 for worn climate switches? Good lord this is beyond Porsche tax.

Quick Reply: PPI and Carfax reports on 2006 Carrera