Old 06-27-2023, 01:54 PM
markus7062
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by markus7062
Fuel Trim Close to Idel (RKAT)
Bank 1 -0.328%
Bank 2 1.406

Re did my CAM deviation readings with my Durametric reader and if accurate it Shows:
Bank 1 0.812
Bank 2 -3.6094
Trying to understand exactly what that means and to determine if there is anyway of adjusting the CAM timing without dropping the engine.
Engine sounds great and seems to run smoothly..... so not happy about dropping the engine again but might be the solution. Not sure how i could have screwed up the CAM timing as my CAM tool fitted perfectly but maybe somehow i made an error but no idea in what step. Jake Raby's step by step engine rebuild instructions where excellent, trying to rule any other causes or potential fixes.
thx
M
I am hopping that it is an electrical sensor issues with the cams as I can't believe i could of screwed up the CAM timing as My timing tool fit perfectly and was aligned. I was told to rule out bad cam timing , i can check by setting the crank at TDC and remove the end caps off the Cams and insert my timing tool. Has anyone done this and have any advice? i have been told that this can be done with the engine in the car but when i inspected it is unbelievably tight to even get at the caps.
Old 06-27-2023, 05:42 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by markus7062
...Has anyone done this...
I have a 997.1 S. I changed two of the three (the ones not under the AC compressor) chain tensioners and I locked the cams (and pulley for TDC) to do so. I did not drop the engine. I put the car up on QuickJacks. It is tight but doable.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:31 PM
markus7062
Advanced

Originally Posted by jchapura
I have a 997.1 S. I changed two of the three (the ones not under the AC compressor) chain tensioners and I locked the cams (and pulley for TDC) to do so. I did not drop the engine. I put the car up on QuickJacks. It is tight but doable.
I wish i had quickjacks...would make life so much easier. When you said replace, are you talking about the 4 Cam solenoids (not 3)? Each is around $250 US. I am looking at pulling the ones on bank two and checking them to see if they are sticking. I replaced almost every other part during my rebuild but now thinking one of them might be bad as my CAM deviation on Bank two is off. Engine runs nicely otherwise
Old 06-28-2023, 12:54 AM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm talking about the three chain tensioners (they look like lifters). Firstly, move the crank to TDC and lock it in place. To lock the appropriate cam, one has to remove two green plugs and then fit/bolt a tool into the cam end slot. Then one works with the other cam and its green plugs (after rotating the crank). One of the three chain tensioners is under the air conditioning compressor (which has to be temporarily moved out of the way). Be advised, I've just roughly outlined the procedure...

I think the three chain tensioners were about $300 total.

Last edited by jchapura; 06-28-2023 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2023, 08:33 AM
markus7062
Advanced

Originally Posted by jchapura
I'm talking about the three chain tensioners (they look like lifters). Firstly, move the crank to TDC and lock it in place. To lock the appropriate cam, one has to remove two green plugs and then fit/bolt a tool into the cam end slot. Then one works with the other cam and its green plugs (after rotating the crank). One of the three chain tensioners is under the air conditioning compressor (which has to be temporarily moved out of the way). Be advised, I've just roughly outlined the procedure...

I think the three chain tensioners were about $300 total.
Thanks....I did check all 3 chain tensors before i put the motor back together and all worked properly but maybe one is failing. I will add it to me next to look at list after I have confirmed all the solenoids are okay and checked the CAM timing. Unfortunately, process of elimination. Really want to avoid moving the AC out of the way...the 3rd bolt which you can't see is so difficult to get at.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2023, 06:17 PM
markus7062
Advanced

Hi Brandon,
I have swapped out my Cam Adjuster Solenoid on Bank 2 that was giving me error code p0021 and it seems to fixed the error code and i am not getting any misfire codes. I have only tested the car on Jack stand so i have been turning the car on and off and idling with a little revving but no street driving yet. Checked the cam deviation, Bank1 is 0.0 and Bank 2 is still at around -3.9. I have no idea how serious of a deviation this is and potential dangers to the engine. I have the car still on jacks and am going to attempt to check the cam timing by removing the cam caps but space is so tight that i am not sure i can do it. I have no idea how the guys in the shop would test the Timing but maybe they have a trick that i am not aware of.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:39 PM
markus7062
Advanced

Originally Posted by SlakkerRacingDev
Not sure on changing with durametric but the intake cam has 20 degrees of adjustability (40 crank degrees) and yours is showing off by 4 on bank 2. If that is an accurate reading, I would drop and retime the engine. The biggest key to doing a DIY rebuild that the videos don't mention is that you have to be willing to redo things 2 and 3 times to get them exactly right.

We do the first oil and filter change after 15-20miles and change the filter again at around 400. After 10-12 heat cycles with load (not idle), we consider an engine race ready.

Did you rescale the MAF in the ECU to account for the increased volume of air the cylinders are now pulling?
Hi Brandon,
I have swapped out my Cam Adjuster Solenoid on Bank 2 that was giving me error code p0021 and it seems to fixed the error code and i am not getting any misfire codes. I have only tested the car on Jack stand so i have been turning the car on and off and idling with a little revving but no street driving yet. Checked the cam deviation, Bank1 is 0.0 and Bank 2 is still at around -3.9. I have no idea how serious of a deviation this is and potential dangers to the engine. I have the car still on jacks and am going to attempt to check the cam timing by removing the cam caps but space is so tight that i am not sure i can do it. I have no idea how the guys in the shop would test the Timing but maybe they have a trick that i am not aware of.

Quick Reply: 997 Error Codes- Help