997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023 | 03:25 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Congrats on finally getting the deal done. What model year is the car, as you noted early on it was a 2012 which would not be a rear wheel drive car. Only 4 wheel drive cars were made in the very short period of 2012 for 997.2. If it is a 2011(same as mine) model then you got the latest software version for the PCM 3.0 radio system. Software version 2.47 or thereabouts. This version works great in my opinion. I hate to mention it but reading the owners manual and the 2 volume PCM book will get you a lot of information and make learning about the car much easier and enjoyable. The answers to probably 90 % of new owner questions are well addressed in the books.
The sound of a 911 is what draws us together, whether it si an early 2 Liter or the latest model . The key in the left hand to start the car and the sound coming from the rear is a lot of the reason we are here.
Remind your wife that although the Camry is a reliable dutiful vehicle , it is just an appliance.
The 911 is something else.
Enjoy the ride-Go drive your car!
Old 07-03-2023 | 05:25 PM
G&S997.2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Floyd540
Congrats on finally getting the deal done. What model year is the car, as you noted early on it was a 2012 which would not be a rear wheel drive car. Only 4 wheel drive cars were made in the very short period of 2012 for 997.2. If it is a 2011(same as mine) model then you got the latest software version for the PCM 3.0 radio system. Software version 2.47 or thereabouts. This version works great in my opinion. I hate to mention it but reading the owners manual and the 2 volume PCM book will get you a lot of information and make learning about the car much easier and enjoyable. The answers to probably 90 % of new owner questions are well addressed in the books.
The sound of a 911 is what draws us together, whether it si an early 2 Liter or the latest model . The key in the left hand to start the car and the sound coming from the rear is a lot of the reason we are here.
Remind your wife that although the Camry is a reliable dutiful vehicle , it is just an appliance.
The 911 is something else.
Enjoy the ride-Go drive your car!
Thanks for your post. It's actually a 2010, so perhaps in haste I typed in the wrong year? My wife was out and about today for around 3 hours in it "running errands". She's getting comfortable with it already, and came back home rather giddy. Her Camry is her go-to everyday business car, and I don't think I have to remind her about that. Totally different applications between vehicles. After getting back home she spent some time with the manuals out in the car programming what she could with PCM. So far, so good. Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
SpectreH (07-03-2023)
Old 07-04-2023 | 02:21 PM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

midnight blue is a great color. I have an 09 with the same color and the darker natural brown interior. very classy
The following users liked this post:
G&S997.2 (07-04-2023)
Old 07-11-2023 | 12:43 PM
G&S997.2
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by JRBucks
Congrats on the car and your wife's retirement. There's no better way to start your ownership than a road trip. I did it with a Mustang I bought in VA and drove back to PA, I did it with my TTS last year from Texas taking the long way home, and I just did it last month with my 750i from Kentucky. Watch the potholes here in PA, and get some bumper plugs for the front plate.
The base Carrera imo is the essential 911, everything you need, nothing you don't. Everything from the S to the TTS is just gingerbread.
Good luck with it.
Bumper plugs installed per your recommendation. Hard to see in photos, but there. Also changed out the amber side markers, and added Zunsport grills, including the center section, just for uniformity of appearance. Mo y wife is definitely enjoying this new experience, and it is safe to say she has been bitten by the Porsche bug. See photo attached after changing her Apple watch face. Had the required state and emissions inspection done last week, by a local highly recommended independent shop. Also had them do their own inspection to thoroughly check everything out on the car perhaps redundant to the PPI done previously, but it was worth the extra money to reassure us we got a good car. All good, but noted typical corrosion on exhaust, no immediate action required, but to plan for addressing it in the future. My wife likes the sound of the Fister sport exhaust with the Sharkwerks center bypass, so we will be doing that in the next year or so. That will be the only non-stock mod we plan to do moving forward. Car goes to paint correction Monday, so anxious to see that when finished. Will be doing some long weekend trips with the car after that. She'll be driving. I can't get into drivers seat due to a bad knee prohibiting getting my right leg under the steering wheel-Probably best, as now I want one of my own!

The following 2 users liked this post by G&S997.2:
JRBucks (07-15-2023), Kodos9865 (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023 | 01:04 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations! She's a beaut! Enjoy the ride.
Old 07-11-2023 | 02:54 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Originally Posted by AdverseYaw71
Congrats on the purchase! I acquired my 2010 C2 a couple of months back, and absolutely loving it! I am a little jealous even though we have practically the same car as I'm in New Zealand, and wish I could take the car on a US roadtrip....my wife & I usually try to get up to the US once per year, and usually do at least 2000 miles or so - now all I can think about is how much better it would be in a 911.

I agree with your comments about getting used to noises etc, I found that too. Lots of unusual sounds coming from right behind me, definitely different to my previous sportscars. I also found the PDK took a little getting used to, even though it's really straightforward in reality. I'm used to manuals, but the PDK is brilliant once you adapt to it....or more accurately - it adapts to you!
Porsche U.S. now offer short term rentals for this purpose. You should check and see if it also available for overseas visitors.
Old 07-13-2023 | 11:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 191K miles

Regarding an Indy in Philly... sorry, I have no information about an independent repair place up there in Bucks. The one I highly recommend is Ziegler's but he is in Pheonixville... I think that is a bit far for you.

http://www.possumhollowmotorsports.com/

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 07-14-2023 | 01:14 PM
G&S997.2
Rennlist Member

Thank you Bruce. A couple members here suggested a local shop and because of they recommendation we ended using them; Auto-Tronics for the state & emissions inspection, along with their inspection of the car for some extra assurance that the car was as solid as the PPI reported. They're excellent, and we appreciate being referred to them. We will be using them for all service on the car, moving forward. This brings up the question: is there anything wrong with using a qualified independent shop for the future service performed on our car? Do we lose anything by using an indy, rather than a dealer? We meticulously maintain all of our vehicles, and if we keep all of the indy service records, do we lose any credibility in not using a Porsche dealer, if/when we sell the car?
Old 07-14-2023 | 02:15 PM
dojw59
Banned

Wow .. Congrats!
Old 07-14-2023 | 03:23 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

You actually GAIN credibility among the real car people by using a good indy for minor or major service. Why? It means you are comfortable and secure in using a customer focused small business that has gained knowledge, respect and real life practical experience. A good indy will advise you if a situation arises that would best be dealt with at the dealer due to factory testing equipment or warranty or special information that is only available from the factory or PCNA. For those that buy new cars, the dealer works find for warranty work or for those people that have never worked on a car and need the security feeling of having the official Porsche institution maintain their precious little gem.
For the rest of us, not so much. These cars are actually simple and easy to work on, especially the standard maintenance items of oil service, brakes etc. The 997.2 is super easy for oil service.
A good indy will talk to you about any questions you may have and will provide real practical advice on what to do, what not to do and what you have read on the internet that may be BS.
Finding a good indy is the big part of this project. Building a relationship and supporting them is then pretty easy. All good indy's will use factory Porsche parts except for rare occasions which they will explain.
Enjoy the service and the tons of money you will save by being "brave".
Old 07-14-2023 | 05:20 PM
G&S997.2
Rennlist Member

You actually GAIN credibility among the real car people by using a good indy for minor or major service. Why? It means you are comfortable and secure in using a customer focused small business that has gained knowledge, respect and real life practical experience. A good indy will advise you if a situation arises that would best be dealt with at the dealer due to factory testing equipment or warranty or special information that is only available from the factory or PCNA. For those that buy new cars, the dealer works find for warranty work or for those people that have never worked on a car and need the security feeling of having the official Porsche institution maintain their precious little gem.
For the rest of us, not so much. These cars are actually simple and easy to work on, especially the standard maintenance items of oil service, brakes etc. The 997.2 is super easy for oil service.
A good indy will talk to you about any questions you may have and will provide real practical advice on what to do, what not to do and what you have read on the internet that may be BS.
Finding a good indy is the big part of this project. Building a relationship and supporting them is then pretty easy. All good indy's will use factory Porsche parts except for rare occasions which they will explain.
Enjoy the service and the tons of money you will save by being "brave".
Thank you for your informative reply. Much appreciated, and makes total sense. Reaffirms my initial thinking, but never hurts to hear from people who already have Porsche ownership experience. I have watched several videos on some of the DYI maintenance procedures, and agree seems fairly easy, especially the oil and filter. That said, I think I will leave all of that to the shop. Being 66, and coming from the muscle car/drag racing generation, my experience has been on those type of cars. No fear working on them, but feel better leaving this to the experts, and don't mind paying them for quality work and care on this car. I still own the first car I ever bought, and do most of the work on it to maintain it, but it gets tougher doing so as things hurt more now. I mentioned earlier I can't get into the drivers seat of this car, due to a failing knee that locks up and is painful to unlock when it happens. I take care of keeping my wife's cars fueled up, but I will have to ride with her to the gas station in the passenger seat to take care of that, until I get myself fixed up. Can't get my right leg under the steering wheel to sit in drivers seat. Thanks again for all of your info!
Old 07-14-2023 | 07:19 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Doing the numbers, you have had dirt and grease under your finger nails for about 50 years now. That puts you in the top tier of candidates for working on these cars. However you should get the new bearing and bushing kit for you knee first. When well, you would really enjoy working on your new car. I have decades of experience working on all the 'merican cars from 1914 on up and all makes of foreign cars. Muscle cars and most all of the American makes from the 50's thru the 70's were frustrating in that you did not really know when you were finished or if you fixed it. You remove a bolt and the hole disappears. Huge tolerances and they were not enough to get things aligned back up. German cars and particular Porsches are very well behaved and respond well to attention, adjustment and even surgery. When finished, everything goes back together perfectly and the results are immediate and it works! Satisfaction guaranteed.
Get well.
Old 07-15-2023 | 11:17 AM
G&S997.2
Rennlist Member

Doing the numbers, you have had dirt and grease under your finger nails for about 50 years now. That puts you in the top tier of candidates for working on these cars. However you should get the new bearing and bushing kit for you knee first. When well, you would really enjoy working on your new car. I have decades of experience working on all the 'merican cars from 1914 on up and all makes of foreign cars. Muscle cars and most all of the American makes from the 50's thru the 70's were frustrating in that you did not really know when you were finished or if you fixed it. You remove a bolt and the hole disappears. Huge tolerances and they were not enough to get things aligned back up. German cars and particular Porsches are very well behaved and respond well to attention, adjustment and even surgery. When finished, everything goes back together perfectly and the results are immediate and it works! Satisfaction guaranteed.
Get well.
Thanks for that summary. It does sound like it would be fun working on it. Something new. Trying to hold off with the knee until end of this year, or first thing in '24. Lots of pre-planned travel the rest of this year and doing my best to hobble along until then. Take care and thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with these cars.
Old 08-06-2023 | 02:32 PM
G&S997.2
Rennlist Member

Default After Paint Correction Photos

Originally Posted by TurboTime997
Congrats on the new purchase. I hope you and your wife have a lot of trouble-free miles enjoying the car. I'm on the other side of Philadelphia, close to West Chester. I'm looking forward to seeing pics after you get the paint correction done. Who are you using for the work?
Here are a few shots of the car after they finished the paint correction/detailing. Very pleased with the outcome

The following 4 users liked this post by G&S997.2:
6sigma (08-07-2023), groovzilla (08-07-2023), Nova997 (08-06-2023), TommyV44 (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023 | 07:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What a gorgeous color!

Quick Reply: First Porsche