Sponsored by:

Retrofitting 991.1 multifunction steering wheel to 997.2 w/o factory MF

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 12:41 AM
downtroddengoat
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by smrpr
So I think I finally got all the required parts to proceed with the steering wheel swap:

- Car: 2005 997.1 Carrera 2 manual with Sport Design steering wheel
- New steering wheel: Macan PDK with multifunction (non heated)
- Macan airbag
- Rear cover without holes for paddles
- Since it's a 997.1, I also bought the control module (part number 997.613.289.01). It's not new, it was removed from a car, so as far as I know it doesn't need coding.
- GPSAdapter STMV1
- Foxwell NT510 Elite

So please correct me if I'm wrong, but the install should go like this:

- Remove paddles from the steering wheel and install new back cover (I've read that some cables might need to be connected to ground if there are no paddles?)
- Connect the GPS Adapter
- Remove old steering wheel
- Remove old control module
- Install new control module
- Put new wheel in place, together with the airbag
- Connect Foxwell and perform the following operations:
  1. Manual Selection - 911(997)
  2. Programming - Steer Col. Switch Control Sytem
  3. Codings adaptations - Customer Specific Settings
  4. Multi-function or Sport/Launch display: Installed

Am I missing any steps? Should I be expecting the horn to go off non-stop until everything is configured? I've read some posts about it and I'm not sure if it was installation error (bad ground) or missing configuration.
How did the install go?
Old 03-06-2024, 04:54 AM
smrpr
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by downtroddengoat
How did the install go?
My car is still in the mechanic so the only thing I've done is installing the GPS adapter in the steering wheel. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the install this weekend.
The following users liked this post:
downtroddengoat (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 09:42 AM
trassalpl
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

One important thing that might be obvious for some but not for others: before removing the old wheel, once you've removed airbag and everything, make sure you mark the 12 o'clock position. The new wheel will have a little mark to help you align.
The install on mine was 997.2 to 997.2 so I didn't have to fiddle with the adapters and the rest, but the steps you listed seem correct based on what I've read also. Keep us posted!
smrpr (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 09:52 AM
smrpr
Instructor

Before I tackle this on the weekend, what is the correct socket size and type to remove the old wheel? And the torque?
Old 03-07-2024, 09:59 AM
trassalpl
Advanced

Before I tackle this on the weekend, what is the correct socket size and type to remove the old wheel? And the torque?
Torque is 37 ft/lb (50 nm) according to this DIY page: https://drivediy.dozuki.com/Guide/Po...Replacement/87. The socket is this weird format called 12-point socket, or triple square, in 12mm. I ordered that one when I did mine: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B004WK9I3O.
The following 2 users liked this post by trassalpl:
jalvani (03-07-2024), smrpr (03-07-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 05:54 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Thanks all for the help. I was able to install it first try and it was a whole ordeal since I had to replace the steering column module too. But it's done now, and the buttons and horn work properly:

There's only one thing I'm not happy with: when turning the wheel, it looks like the rear plastic cover is rubbing the steering column plastic and it makes a sound. Has this happened to anyone else or I'm the first? I'm pretty confident I put everything in its place and there's nothing loose in there... I recorded a video to show what I mean: https://i.imgur.com/l598ylb.mp4

Old 03-11-2024, 06:49 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Thanks all for the help. I was able to install it first try and it was a whole ordeal since I had to replace the steering column module too. But it's done now, and the buttons and horn work properly:

There's only one thing I'm not happy with: when turning the wheel, it looks like the rear plastic cover is rubbing the steering column plastic and it makes a sound. Has this happened to anyone else or I'm the first? I'm pretty confident I put everything in its place and there's nothing loose in there... I recorded a video to show what I mean: https://i.imgur.com/l598ylb.mp4
I have the same sound. Has gotten better. But still there. Have taken things apart numerous times, can’t see where it is hitting.
smrpr (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 07:11 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Originally Posted by kellen
I have the same sound. Has gotten better. But still there. Have taken things apart numerous times, can’t see where it is hitting.
Well, not “glad” not to be the only one but relieved. I thought I had done something wrong. It’s surprising because I hadn’t read it anywhere in the threads about the swap and it’s something that I noticed the second I turned the wheel for the first time.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:12 AM
trassalpl
Advanced

First time I hear about this also, does not seem normal.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:37 AM
smrpr
Instructor

Found an old thread describing the same issue:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1360...s-rubbing.html

I would like to avoid sanding the plastic piece… I’ll try unbolting the 3 steering column screws and retightening them with the wheel on, and if that doesn’t solve it I may loosen the steering wheel a bit since I didn’t torque it up to spec and I think it’s too tight.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:06 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Found an old thread describing the same issue:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1360...s-rubbing.html

I would like to avoid sanding the plastic piece… I’ll try unbolting the 3 steering column screws and retightening them with the wheel on, and if that doesn’t solve it I may loosen the steering wheel a bit since I didn’t torque it up to spec and I think it’s too tight.
please report back!
Old 03-15-2024, 06:52 AM
smrpr
Instructor

I fixed it, @kellen !

First, I unbolted the three screws, the two that hold the top piece and the one that holds the bottom, but not completely. So they were still in there, just not tight. Then I loosened the T4 screw that holds the steering column module and stalks on the steering column. With one hand I pushed the stalks assembly towards the front of the car with my thumb and the steering wheel with my index finger towards me, and started tightening the bolts again while holding everything like that. Not overly tightened, just tight enough to avoid the plastic warping.

Went for a drive and boom! No rub! No need to sand, no need to remove the wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by smrpr:
downtroddengoat (03-15-2024), myw (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:20 AM
trassalpl
Advanced

Congrats!
smrpr (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:03 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I fixed it, @kellen !

First, I unbolted the three screws, the two that hold the top piece and the one that holds the bottom, but not completely. So they were still in there, just not tight. Then I loosened the T4 screw that holds the steering column module and stalks on the steering column. With one hand I pushed the stalks assembly towards the front of the car with my thumb and the steering wheel with my index finger towards me, and started tightening the bolts again while holding everything like that. Not overly tightened, just tight enough to avoid the plastic warping.

Went for a drive and boom! No rub! No need to sand, no need to remove the wheel.
thanks! Another project lol.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:33 AM
Jonesie
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing

Hi SMRPR,
I have the rubbing as well and I’m a bit confused as to which screws you are loosening….
Are you loosening the plastic steering column shroud screws ?
Ta Jonesie

Quick Reply: Retrofitting 991.1 multifunction steering wheel to 997.2 w/o factory MF