Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid leaks??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023 | 04:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Default Fluid leaks??

Weird. Had what looked like an engine oil leak about a year ago. Not much. Maybe 2-3 tablespoons on the garage floor. Took the car to the indy and they couldn't trace it and the garage floor has been bone dry ever since. Then Friday last week, same thing again. Same small amount of what looked and felt like engine oil. But then, I don't know how to tell the difference between engine oil and PDK fluid.

Just like a year ago though, the Friday leak was it. Not a drop on the floor since no matter what kind of oil it is. But to add to the mystery, when I was gone, my wife found a small amount of pink fluid underneath the engine where my car is parked in the garage. Still no more engine/PDK looking fluid though. No alerts on the dash and the engine oil is topped off. Checked it yesterday afternoon. Just had an oil change so did they overfill? Any ideas anyone?

Old 05-08-2023 | 10:51 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Weird. Had what looked like an engine oil leak about a year ago. Not much. Maybe 2-3 tablespoons on the garage floor. Took the car to the indy and they couldn't trace it and the garage floor has been bone dry ever since. Then Friday last week, same thing again. Same small amount of what looked and felt like engine oil. But then, I don't know how to tell the difference between engine oil and PDK fluid.

Just like a year ago though, the Friday leak was it. Not a drop on the floor since no matter what kind of oil it is. But to add to the mystery, when I was gone, my wife found a small amount of pink fluid underneath the engine where my car is parked in the garage. Still no more engine/PDK looking fluid though. No alerts on the dash and the engine oil is topped off. Checked it yesterday afternoon. Just had an oil change so did they overfill? Any ideas anyone?
Nothing like a "fluid mystery" to brighten one's day! And now two of them to ponder about.

Was the coincidence brought about by the same underlying issue? I would guess no.

The easier of the two to track down may be the coolant leak. Seems like there is always a telltale sign somewhere when those happen. I would go after that one first.

The oil (?) leak is a little bit more perplexing. Small amount. Then nothing for a year. Very odd. Were there any common factors that precipitated the two leaks? For example the car being driven particularly hard those times?

Last edited by Ironman88; 05-08-2023 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2023 | 10:56 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

One other thought...

If my wife wanted to find a good way to "torment" me - she might possibly realize that by putting a little bit of fluid under the car that may do the trick...

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
dmpslc (05-08-2023), Dragon997 (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023 | 08:19 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

I recall a similar thread awhile back and I think it was the hp fuel pump. No fuel leaking, just oil from the engine side. Could be wrong, going by my failing memory.
Old 05-09-2023 | 05:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Nothing like a "fluid mystery" to brighten one's day! And now two of them to ponder about.

Was the coincidence brought about by the same underlying issue? I would guess no.

The easier of the two to track down may be the coolant leak. Seems like there is always a telltale sign somewhere when those happen. I would go after that one first.

The oil (?) leak is a little bit more perplexing. Small amount. Then nothing for a year. Very odd. Were there any common factors that precipitated the two leaks? For example the car being driven particularly hard those times?
Yes, very odd. Especially since I brought the car in after the first leak a year ago and as I said, just had an oil change recently. No mention of any signs of a leak anywhere...again. Garage floor still dry since Friday so just that small amount and then nothing, just like a year ago.

Originally Posted by Ironman88
One other thought...

If my wife wanted to find a good way to "torment" me - she might possibly realize that by putting a little bit of fluid under the car that may do the trick...
He...he. Funny. That could do the trick. But I don't think that's what's going on here. My wife knows I love my car and she actually likes it too so I can't imagine she would dream up a scenario that would make me want to get rid of the car. What fluid in the 997 is pink in color though? That's what I've tried to figure out. No more of that on the garage floor either btw.

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
I recall a similar thread awhile back and I think it was the hp fuel pump. No fuel leaking, just oil from the engine side. Could be wrong, going by my failing memory.
No....your memory is fine. My HP fuel pump failed but there was no leaking associated with it. Just hard starting and kind of rough running on and off.
Old 05-09-2023 | 08:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Was the car driven harder than usual before the oil drip events, like in a group drive or mountain carving session? I had an issue years ago where my case halves would leak a little oil, but only after the car was driven pretty hard. Tool out each case half bolt one at a time, cleaned the hole and threads, put some sealant on the bolt, put it back in and torqued to spec and has never dripped again since.

Coolant leak - check the reservoir for vertical lines after driving the car and it getting hot and up to pressure and the water pump weep hole as those are the likely culprits.
Old 05-10-2023 | 05:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
Was the car driven harder than usual before the oil drip events, like in a group drive or mountain carving session? I had an issue years ago where my case halves would leak a little oil, but only after the car was driven pretty hard. Tool out each case half bolt one at a time, cleaned the hole and threads, put some sealant on the bolt, put it back in and torqued to spec and has never dripped again since.

Coolant leak - check the reservoir for vertical lines after driving the car and it getting hot and up to pressure and the water pump weep hole as those are the likely culprits.
No. Quiet the opposite. Have been working out of my home office since the COVID mess started 2 years ago so mostly gentle occasional drives here and there for local errands. I probably only put just over 2,000 easy miles a year on the car now. No more leaks on the garage floor btw. Brown or pink.