Sponsored by:

Numeric Shifter Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 12:41 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

I am not sure why test drives are needed... not sure what they are checking for. Mine just worked. The only "adjustment" I did was look to ensure the stick was straight up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
The following users liked this post:
997.2GTS (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 12:58 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

I think some cars are more sensitive to the alignment.. if the lever is slightly off (hard to see visually) could have more impacts on certain cars. My numeric on my 987.2 was ok eyeballed. But my b&m on my 997 needs some adjustment.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:59 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Maybe there's a difference between how to precisely install the various short shift kits available. The dealership tech who installed my B&M kit is the most senior tech there and a die hard perfectionist. The B&M kit has a shorter throw than the OEM Porsche kit so that could be the reason for his test drives to make sure it was just right. Different mechanics involved compared to the OEM Porsche kit.

I was surprised they agreed to install an after market kit rather than the OEM kit I'm sure they're doing most of the time. Long time customer must make a difference. I just wanted the shortest throw available and the B&M was it at that time.
Right - a short shift kit requires rebuilding the plastic shift cage with more robust components whereas the Numeric is a simple drop-in replacement. The SSK may require some tweaking of tolerances to get a nice, tight shift. Not so in the Numeric, just centering the lever.
Old 05-09-2023, 02:21 PM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 592 Likes on 177 Posts

Add my voice to those reporting the Numeric install is a simple DIY job and not worth spending the money to pay a shop to complete. Center console removal is time consuming the first time through but worth the effort to get it done carefully. Installation of the shifter itself is quite simple and the DIY guide in the 997 maintenance sticky is easy to follow. The shifter alignment tool, available here makes reconnection of the cables a breeze.

Swapping shift cables is another matter entirely with tight spaces, stubborn factory parts, and difficult under-car access issues.

Think of this as an outpatient procedure like lasik; quick trip under the knife with a huge payoff in the end.
Old 05-09-2023, 02:54 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurse
Add my voice to those reporting the Numeric install is a simple DIY job and not worth spending the money to pay a shop to complete. Center console removal is time consuming the first time through but worth the effort to get it done carefully. Installation of the shifter itself is quite simple and the DIY guide in the 997 maintenance sticky is easy to follow. The shifter alignment tool, available here makes reconnection of the cables a breeze.

Swapping shift cables is another matter entirely with tight spaces, stubborn factory parts, and difficult under-car access issues.

Think of this as an outpatient procedure like lasik; quick trip under the knife with a huge payoff in the end.
does the shift alignment tool fit on the numeric shifter?
Old 05-09-2023, 05:39 PM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 592 Likes on 177 Posts

@Sylverlee it did when I used it, made the job really simple.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter Install Question