Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC sport controller lust

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 02:24 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

The DSC 'party trick' for a stock PASM car is the improvement in ride quality in low gForce situations.

Transformative.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:35 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

I like mine, but also don't notice it much on track; the main difference is that it allows driving through NYC and surrounding areas without losing your fillings. The car is also a lot more surefooted on uneven terrain under moderate load, think taking a dodgy on-ramp to freewa y with some speed and lateral load.

I looked at the DSC web page and the 3d accelerometer that is necessary for the 997.1 is on backorder, so that's a problem.
Old 08-31-2024, 07:08 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 653 Posts

The TPC DSC is, from what I've read, a 4-channel controller (One per wheel) vice the 2-channel OEM PASM box. The architecture for 4-channel operation exists, but Porsche did not write code for it. It is also exponentially faster reacting- like 10X, maybe 100, cannot remember, but 10 X sounds more right.

My real world experience is transformative. It cures harmonic vibration- watch, or video, your side view mirror on a crappy road. There is a YouTube video out there showing a back to back OEM v DSC box on same car, same bumpy road. Visual evidence of greater compliance and less vibration. Not seat of pants, but with eyes.

I find that the rear, at or near a turn apex and under a good g-load,would bounce over an irregularity and upset rear grip. Not every curve, not every bump, but prevalently.

With the DSC, the rear end absorbs the bump(s) and the traction/side grip of the rear is not affected where the OEM is. I've done back-to-back experiments...so easy to swap the box in the middle of a canyon session- try that with shocks, springs or other solid parts or GT3 bits! I believe every 997 owner who experiences the rear step out mid-corner can appreciate the advantage.

On a track, with super smooth tarmac- that benefit will be less or non-existent to most of us non-pros.

The DSC faster response time, even with OEM PASM shocks, reduces both accel squat and braking dive...and signals the shocks in SPORT (firm) mode to reach the max stiffness earlier in the G-curve than does the OEM algorithm. For owners with more brains and patience than myself, the ability to program a custom performance map is very cool. Petza, in particular, has posted multiple times the process he used to dial in his Ruf powered 911.

There is a sh*t ton of threads/posts covering these things with Tom of TPC answering specific user questions on the thread.
Best bang for the buck suspension upgrade ever, price-wise and ultimate reversabiity.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 09-02-2024 at 07:14 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
Ironman88 (08-31-2024), jlert (09-09-2024), Spastblast (09-01-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 08:14 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,386 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
The TPC DSC is, fro what I've read, a 4-channel controller (One per wheel) vice the 2-channel OEM PASM box. The architecture for 4-channel operation exists, but POrsche did not write code for it. It is also exponentially faster reacting- like 10X, maybe 100, cannot remember, but 10 X sounds more right.

My real world experience is transformative. It cures harmonic vibration- watch, or video, your side view mirror on a crappy road. There is a YouTube video out there showing a back to back OEM v DSC box on same car, same bumpy road. Visual evidence of greater compliance and less vibration. Not seat of pants, but with eyes.

I find that the rear, at or near a turn apex and under a good g-load,would bounce over an irregularity and upset rear grip. Not every curve, not every bump, but prevalently.
Wit the DSC, the rear end absorbs the bump(s) and the traction/side grip of the rear is not affected where the OEM is. I've done back-to-back experiments (so ealy to swap the box in the middle of a canyon session- try that with shocks, springs or other solid parts or GT3 bits!) I believe every 997 owner who experiences the rear step out mid corner can appreciate the advantage.
On a track, with super smooth tarmack- that benefit will be less or non-existent t most of us non-pros.

The DSC faster response time, even with OEM PASM shocks, reduces both accel squat and braking dive, and signals the shocks in SPORT (firm) mode reaching the max stiffness earlier in the G-curve than OEM.

There is a sh*t ton of threads/posts covering these things with Tom of TPC answering specific user questions on the thread.
Best bang for the buck suspension upgrade ever, price-wise and reversabiity.
Your (excellent) description is reflective of my experience as well with the DSC controller. Absolutely transformative.

Old 09-02-2024, 01:46 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

After owning a DSC for a couple months a few years ago and selling it (just never fell in love), I decided to take the plunge again and this time I'm going to take the time to geek out and tune it to my liking. I'm going to be looking for something that is very subtle in terms of its range of adjustment because I personally prefer a non adaptive suspension. When I first had it, it felt somewhat "synthetic" to me (no surprise), but i never took the time to leverage the customizability. Stay tuned for silly questions after I receive it and do some searching.

Car is a 997 C2S SPASM with 23k on it, btw.
The following users liked this post:
B911L (09-03-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 02:59 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 821 Posts

One of the things I like about the TPC DSC is that it doesn't chase some "ideal" setting based upon how you are driving at the moment.
Old 09-02-2024, 07:03 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
One of the things I like about the TPC DSC is that it doesn't chase some "ideal" setting based upon how you are driving at the moment.
Wayne, can you say the same thing but with more words, and tune it for a 5 year old?
Seriously, I think you're saying something important here but I don't quite understand it

Also, is the TPC DSC different than one sourced from DSC Sport directly
Old 09-02-2024, 07:38 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 821 Posts

Porsche brags about their auto adjusting suspension control. If you drive hard in the turns, the car adapts to that. If the roads are bumpy, the car adjusts. If you do this in comfort mode, you may find that Sport mode is weaker until it adapts. The result ... I'm never quite confident how the next turn will be.

That's not meant to insult the Porsche engineers. There are places auto adaptation is great. As an engineer, I built algorithms wherever I could to keep machines running smoothly. But I found technicians often misdiagnosed operations. Preventive service was often improperly done.

So, while I loved my algorithms, and these saved many outside service calls, the in-house maintenance crews hated them.

Now, picture how you are going to adjust for a high-speed off camber turn full of washboard. I've got my hand full already. I don't want to be calculating how the car's computers are going to decide how to help me.

So, OEM leaves me wondering throughout a spirited drive. TPC DSC is constant, so I know what I've got.

The only after-market DSC I know of is from TPC.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 09:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 991 Posts

2009 C2S 202K miles

Coupla other items.... when you are fast in a sweeper... going right, the car leans over left and if you accelerate in the turn as you should, the front right wheel is very light, and the left rear wheel wants to compress. The DSC controller loosens the shock on the front right... so if that wheel hits a bump, the wheel rides over it and the car stays settled. It also tightens up the left rear shock to slow compression working to keep the car level.

With the software, I tweaked mine to be in sport mode all the time, but made it soft when going slowly.... why do you need sport mode hardness in a parking lot? So, I leave sport mode on all the time and as I go faster, the thing tightens up accordingly.

But I have the control to make it how I want... but regardless, the ride out of the box is softer and jumps stiffer, by wheel, as needed.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Quick Reply: DSC sport controller lust